1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota believes that electric-only vehicles will only suitable for short journeys in city and suburb

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Cacti, Apr 22, 2010.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    Re: Toyota believes that electric-only vehicles will only suitable for short journeys in city and su

i go with Tom, right now we cannot turn our back on any source of power if it is relatively clean. nuclear is a great base load but wind and solar is also vital to help decentralize our power generation. eventually we will have the breakthru in power storage that we need to really take advantage of the "grow your own" lights or the FGBO (free generation by owner...lol...sorry could not resist!) options that will reduce the strain on our Earth.

nuclear as much as it is beneficial still relies on parts supplied by a planet that is a bit on the sore side from all the drilling we have done. granted, no matter what source of power we use, it will still require a lot of mining. but as long as we dont have to burn a huge percentage of what we dig up, at least we can start to regenerate the air we breathe.

2. hampdenwireless

hampdenwireless Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Re: Toyota believes that electric-only vehicles will only suitable for short journeys in city and su

Nuclear has been safer then coal for its entire existence.

3. itsmechris

itsmechris Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Nuclear is radioactive waste that has to be returned to the ground, or ocean. You can escape the carbon in the air but you can't escape the radiation.

People are so destructive, I know more than half of America would burry radiactive waste in their own yards if the fuel were initially free. LOL

4. t_newt

t_newt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Funny you should say that. I am now doing this drive (and back) a couple of times a year to get my kid and all his stuff to college. (He hasn't learned to drive yet! What is it with kids and driving these days?) In a Prius Prime it works great--I can drive the whole distance on one 5 hour go (depending on traffic) and get 50 to 60 mpg, so it is fast and costs almost nothing.

As an aside, telmo744HSD said
    Well, my family of 3 needs about two times a month to do a 200km trip, sometimes (1 per 2 month basis) a 350km trip. This gives something like 20-25 trips yearly, all of those much above EV range. Oh yes, I could stop for "refilling", but can you imagine doing that with a child on board, or with a tight schedule?
    Does he have kids? Because small kids have small bladders. When my kids were small I sure as heck had several stops for 'refilling', or more accurately, bladder emptying. Can you imagine not making several stops with a small child on board? I don't have to imagine it--the result is inevitably wet pants. You learn quickly to plan the stops (not to mention giving them a chance to run around and burn off some energy).

Anyhow, with older kids this isn't an issue. Nevertheless, now that my kid has a lot more stuff, I'm actually considering doing the exact opposite of what everyone else does: renting a BEV specifically to make the long drive between SF and LA and back. In this case it would be the Tesla Model X. Why? Because his stuff doesn't quite fit in the Prime but would fit in the Model X, and I've always wanted to try driving a Tesla, and renting one for a couple of days is considerably cheaper than the payments and insurance of owning one. We can stop for lunch to 'fill up' the battery half way (which is 55 minutes, not 8 hours).

#64 t_newt, May 28, 2019
    Last edited: May 28, 2019
    bwilson4web likes this.
  5. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, since I was just quoted from a 2010 post, here is my "answer" 9 years later, and my family grew to 4 (two kids):

Yes, kids have small bladders, but they also sleep, and other times often require finishing the journey ASAP.
    This kind of "freedom" is clearly against the EV refilling needs. Or having to wait for other EVs to finish charging... (yes sometimes the chg ports are filled). One thing is to choose stopping, other is having to stop.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, who hit the Wayback button? :p
    [​IMG]

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    funny how things have changed so dramatically in 10 years, but toyota remains ever the same in their anti ev dogma