1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Toyota BEVs

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Apr 21, 2020.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: Toyota/Lexus Introduce Three New BEVs In China

New all-electric models will be equipped with a 54.3 kWh battery.

According to the latest news, this month Toyota and Lexus will introduce three all-electric cars in China:

Lexus UX 300e
    Toyota C-HR BEV
    Toyota IZOA BEV
    . . .
    Both models are simply electric versions of the C-HR/IZOA compact crossover/SUV, built on the TNGA (Toyota New Global Architecture) platform. Equipped with a 54.3 kWh battery, each should be good for about 400 km (250 miles) of NEDC range, but in the real world, we do not expect more than 300 km (186 miles).
    . . .

The Tesla, 2020 Standard Range Plus Model 3 has an EPA range of 250 miles (286 mi NEDC) on a 50 kWh (55 kWh total) battery. I've driven 206 miles from Huntsville to Memphis regularly with a 30 mile reserve in our 2019 Std Rng Plus Model 3, 240 mile EPA range.

The photo slide show reveals no radiator. The manifolds on both sides of the battery pack suggests Toyota is still using forced, air cooling/heating for their traction battery. Worse, the front engine bay is filled with a low profile motor and huge, inverter assembly that in a crash will attempt to invade the cabin. The front of the car has a huge 'radiator' inlet but there is no documented radiator.
    [​IMG]
    I am not impressed: (1) air cooling/heating batteries is less efficient than liquid cooling because it can not recycle waste heat; (2) industrial sized power electronics in front bay means no front storage; (3) stepped batteries in rear means less space, and; (4) excessive exposed high voltage cables.

Bob Wilson

#1 bwilson4web, Apr 21, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
    noonm and telmo744 like this.
  2. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't infer crash capability/safety out of a drawing. I'm sure Toyota/Lexus have done a good job, they have to if this Lexus will hit european and american roads.
    The high voltage cables are not much different from every other BEV, could you deepen that?
    I fully agree with you: air cooling and no front storage could be better...

3. Ronald Doles

Ronald Doles Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I agree on liquid cooling the batteries. Toyota already has a cooling system for the inverter so why not redesign the batteries to accommodate liquid cooling and maybe just enlarge the inverter cooling system to include the batteries. Tesla's liquid cooled batteries explains why they can use higher charging rates.

I would expect that these models will have pretty good frontal and offset crash protection. The crush zones would be similar to an ICE engine compartment. If the impact velocity is high enough no amount of crush zone protection is going to save the occupants anyway. As a friend of mine who use to build water towers used to say about a falling, "Once you get above 30 feet, higher doesn't matter".

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they're probably perfect for china, n/a not so much. i'm sure they can develop a good one for n/a, but who would buy it?
    right now, my local gas station is paying customers to fill up :cool:

5. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Happy to see it, even if limited to China.
    Hopefully, Toyota can learn from these products and refine the design for the rest of the world.

6. Ronald Doles

Ronald Doles Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I just stopped at Costco to fill up two 5 gallon cans and the Prius. Cost was $24. The last time gas was $1.20 a gallon was about 1980. I am putting more in the mower than the car.

7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    These are BEV conversions of ICE cars. They will be lacking compared to one built on a dedicated BEV platform. The grill can be more blocked than the ICE one. Price is an important detail.

Seen a photo of the battery pack. Blowers were visible at the front of it.

8. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I've been told that this battery pack is cooled both by air and liquid.
    And the cells are NMC622.
    Can anyone confirm?

#8 telmo744, Apr 22, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
  9. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Rav4 Prime will have a cooling loop off the A/C for the battery. Don't know if it directly chills the battery or just incoming air, but it is technically a liquid at some point in the system.

As for using both air and a liquid, under ambient conditions, cooling, wouldn't that just mean dealing with the downsides of both. There is the weight of the liquid system, and the bulk for air ducts.

telmo744 likes this.
  10. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    UX 300e: FIRST ALL-ELECTRIC LEXUS OFFERS CLASS-LEADING QUALITY AND A 10-YEAR BATTERY WARRANTY

10 year/1 Million Km warranty including capacity degradation below 70%. Totally air cooled and tied to the A/C. Using pouch cells instead of cylindrical, apparently the Lexus engineers think air cooling is better for their battery and offer a warranty to back it up.

Interview with the engineer, Takashi Watanabe: LEXUS ELECTRIFIED CHIEF ENGINEER EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW
    They are focusing on reliability, quietness and ride qualities more so than raw performance. If you listen to the video one of the more interesting points is Lexus developed a new A/C from seat heaters. One would think it would be the other way around and then everybody could say, “ah yes they are using a heat pump”. Should be interesting to learn more details.

That all being said it will never see the light of day in the US, so we’ll have to rely on the likes of testers such as Bjorn Nyland to test it and give us his opinion.

Edited to explain an interesting point in the engineer interview video.
    iPad ? Pro

#10 drash, May 8, 2020
    Last edited: May 8, 2020
    telmo744 likes this.
  11. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting.
    I’ll be fascinated if these can maintain 70% for 10 years while accepting DC charging.
    This could be a real breakthrough. Can’t wait to see them in the US.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would be very interested in a lexus bev, with focus as stated.

13. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    guess we'll all have to move to China.
    :mad:

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    might as well, it's the next big thing. and, they have disneyland

15. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    well according to car and driver these are planned for EU and China to meet regulatory standards, then likely Japan and not likely ever coming to the US. If they sell well Toyota/Lexus may sell other bevs here. For now the prius prime and rav4 prime are peak of toyota's US plug-in strategy.

I'm glad toyota/lexus is getting in the game. The DC charging is not much of a trick, its less than 1C @50 kw, and I bet it gets throttled down quick in hot weather. Tesla is now upgrading chargers to v3 = 250 kw which gets throttled down quickly but is 5x greater in peak charge. VW through porsche is now designing liquid cooled batteries that can take 800 kw for a short time.

The 10 years 70% though on air cooled is more of a trick. Only time will tell. I would bet this would not work in Texas or Arizona, but cooler places are the launch for these BEVs. My tesla kicks in battery conditioning when its sitting in the hot sun, I'm not sure how well even using air conditioned air cooling will work on a parked car.

#15 austingreen, May 9, 2020
    Last edited: May 9, 2020
    Zythryn likes this.
  16. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Just sharing data measured from my Std Rng Plus Model 3:
    • ~50 C - SuperCharger preheat that allows faster, DC charging
    • ~30 C - Normal operational temperature while driving
    There is no requirement for other EV makers to do anything like this.

Liquid cooling transfers a lot of BTUs in a short time. Liquid is ~800x denser than air and the heat transfer is proportionally the same.

Bob Wilson

#16 bwilson4web, May 9, 2020
    hill, Zythryn and austingreen like this.
  17. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    it's possible - that the US has become the redheaded stepchild (despite much quicker ev acceptance compared to hybrids) simply because they are Supply constrained Beyond China and the EU. If so, that's forgivable, even though Toyota is typically more forward-thinking.
    same goes for much of So Cal (majority of ev buyers), New Mexico, & many parts of the south east states.

#17 hill, May 9, 2020
  18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No. The US has no regulatory push towards cleaner air and tighter emissions, at least at a national level. Europe has the very stringent Euro6 standard as well as "local" targets (like the UK's ban on combustion cars). China has a target year for the ban on combustion cars too.

So, if you were an automaker, you'd direct your resources to those two areas because you need to meet those regulatory requirements and as such, the US is now the 3rd option and we'll get whatever is left over.

austingreen, Trollbait, bisco and 2 others like this.
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how is that cali/fed battle going these days? maybe one state isn't enough for toyota, as large as it may be. after all, they're hearing the horse whisperers in texas now

20. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It is the list of CARB states: What are CARB states, ZEV states and 'smile' states? Autoweek explains

Other states can and have joined CARB, including Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington state and Washington D.C. Basically, their emissions standards are stricter than federal requirements, so if you hear the term CARB states, that’s what they’re talking about.
    . . .
    CARB manages the ZEV program, which has now been adopted by Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island and Vermont.
    . . .

Bob Wilson