1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Toyota bZ4X Specifications Revealed

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Oct 29, 2021.

1. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited

And look at the sharp edges at the top of the screen. Just what I want when tossed around in an accident.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The Prius has less air drag. Air drag goes with Cd×frontal area (CdA) and the Y has much more frontal area because its a much bigger car.

The Cd of a 747 is 0.03.

Richard2005 and jerrymildred like this.
  3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Years ago I read that motorcycles have a Cd very similar to that of a barn door. I guess that's why I did well to get 45 mpg on my Suzuki GS850 and I get 60+ in my Prius, even though the Prius is much bigger and heavier.

fuzzy1, telmo744 and austingreen like this.
  4. Prim.e.xample

Prim.e.xample Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Excellent news! I saw 310 miles of range in one article I read. Hmmm. Either way, with many models coming it’s a good time to think EV. Though I might still get the new 86 with a manual!

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I highly doubt EPA numbers will be over 300 miles.

My guess is 250 at most (FWD). Realistically? 220-230. It has a smaller 71.4kWh battery than its competitors (Ariya and ID.4) and even accounting for Toyota efficiency, you’re still down the equivalent of a Prius Prime’s usable pack size. So that’s 25 miles there.

Trollbait and drash like this.
  6. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Most interested in the cargo space. European site says it has about 16 ft3 behind the rear seats. Looks bigger than that so I’ll wait for official stats and has an adjustable deckboard. It has the same wheelbase as the Highlander Hybrid, total length of vehicle is longer than the RAV4 Hybrid/Prime but slightly shorter than the Venza. Still has a huge hood and looks like nothing is under it in front of the charger/inverter.

European site also says the battery is definitely Lithium-ion which correlates with Toyota research into better Lithium-ion batteries (TOYOTA NEWS #168|Integration with Vehicles—The Strengths of Toyota’s Battery Development Strategy|TOYOTA TIMES) and being targeted for the bZ4X.

European site: World premiere of the all-new Toyota bZ4X

iPad ? Pro

Richard2005 and john1701a like this.
  7. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    It was a combination of things, but the biggest factor is the Chinese government poured money into LFP R&D that increased energy density and reduced cost. A secondary factor is cobalt and nickel prices look to continue to go up making the switch strategic if you assume cost of materials will dominate battery pack production costs. The progress for car and bus LFP battery packs only got really good a few years ago, but it may be accelerating.

Part of the increase in energy density is cell to pack and future cell to chassis packaging of the CATL and BYD batteries. Tesla is doing the same thing with their Panasonic NCA 4680 batteries that should be out next year. That still leaves a big gap and I would expect the higher priced end of the market to continue to push for lighter battery packs. I would assume Toyota has the resources to develop their own cell to chassis battery tech whether it is LFP or another chemistry.

We don't know which chemistry Toyota is going to use in the bz4x. John has speculated that it will be LFP and there will be a higher priced lexus version, maybe with a bigger battery or lighter that would use a more energy dense battery.

Trollbait likes this.
  8. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I read a motorcycle had a higher cD than a semi truck with trailer. Making for a good example of the effect of frontal area on aerodynamics.

If that is an official cargo space value, it will be smaller than the EPA, or what the manufacturer can use in the US. The EU standard for wagons, and I assume SUVs, is like the US one for trunks. The space is filled up with standard sized boxes, and their volumes are added up for the metric. It results in a lower value than using a tape measure, but is a better measure of usable space. The quoted space could also be just up to the beltline and not the ceiling.

Huge hood and no frunk makes it sound like the platform isn't making the most of the possibilities with a BEV. It's something we have to wait and see about. It is FWD though, while the Tesla and VW platforms are RWD. Perhaps they got got more rear cargo space, or dare I say it, a spare tire.

LFP is a Li-ion.:p

The talk of slim battery design does have me thinking it the more energy dense NMC type typically meant by Li-ion. Then maybe Toyota has a bipolar lithium ready for cars. Others started the path towards commercialization years ago. https://www.eenewsautomotive.com/news/bipolar-lithium-ion-batteries-approach-production-readiness The bipolar NiMH in the aqua seemed to have been a surprise. A bipolar LFP would help with its energy density, I just put it at low odds at this time.

Richard2005 and jerrymildred like this.
  9. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    drash likes this.
  10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    drash likes this.
  11. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I understand there is a new Tesla software release that addresses the steering yoke.

Bob Wilson

12. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The rotary shifter looks interesting. Drive is clockwise to the right and reverse is anti-clockwise to the left, rather than the PRND convention.

2022-Toyota-bZ4X-Concept-2.jpg

13. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ha ha, pretty sure I would not be getting that although I do like the real estate and clean look above. Just doesn’t fit how I drive. Weird, how they want to put that in a SUV that need 7.7 seconds to get to 100 kph (62 mph).

I’ll bet the solar roof won’t make it to the US but the Pano roof might be cool.

iPad ? Pro

14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There must be a checklist at Toyota, and one item is "Polarizing enough?".

drash likes this.
  15. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  16. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I forgot about only 150 degree travel. Holy cow! I could get in some trouble! Now that I think of it, it might be better when backing up (yes I still turn around and look). I would definitely need some practice, ha ha.

iPad ? Pro

Tideland Prius likes this.
  17. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That isn't much different from the Prius knob; it is moved in opposite directions for drive and reverse.

Some EVs with a traditional shifter make use of the other gear positions to set differing levels of regenerative braking. I wonder how Toyota will handle that here.

18. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    There is a button with a braking symbol to the left of the shift knob.

The rotary shifter is cheaper, simpler and more compact than the current Prius shifter.

The rocker switch on my Ryobi battery powered riding lawn mower is even simpler and cheaper. A photo of that shifter is uploaded. riding lawnmower control panel.JPG

Trollbait likes this.
  19. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    image.jpeg New 2022 NX 450h+ soft shifter then has paddle shifters on the steering wheel. My NX 300h has a real shifter with the S instead of the M and again paddle shifters on the steering wheel.
    2022_Lexus_NX450h_0091 (2).jpeg

20. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It's an S in my non-hybrid Camry too. It isn't as 'manual' as the Sonic was; Toyota just had it set the max gear to use. In the hybrids, it sounds like a Prius B with graduations. I couldn't make out paddle shifters in the Yoke photo, though there are plenty of buttons.

I'd prefer having more than two braking strength options, which the brake button applies. My guess is that might be for turning on one peddle driving, which would mean heavier braking. It could also mean no 'downshift' option when not using it.