1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota C-HR (Coupe High Rider). Reviews start P. 23

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by Navigare, Oct 5, 2015.

1. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

This seems like KIA's version of Ioniq that looks like SUV. I dont understand why didnt they hybridize Sportage, it is about the same size and looks much, much, much better and inside is much more expensive too.

They also promise 50 MPG which is great, someone should open up new thread about it... from design, it looks very tailored for the USA.

2. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  3. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

i dont think anything changes between it being Scion or Toyota... unless the gas prices go up, they likely wont do a hybrid for the USA. Hybrid will probably be same price as regular Rav4 which isnt much bigger and it would confuse the heck out of Americans :). Its smaller, slower and costs more?????? :).

C-HR will not be hybrid only in Europe... it will have 1.2t version and they expect even split between the two. I also think it will likely have a diesel version, either 1.4 D4D or 1.6 D4D.

Then, for rest of the world and Russia, it will also likely have naturally aspirated petrol, like 1.8l for Russia, Middle-East and possibly USA. Could also be 1.6l in Europe/Russia and 1.8l in USA.

But then again, maybe they will introduce new 1.5l turbo for some countries? European Toyota's do tend to get more engine choices than whats offered in the USA.

Sergiospl likes this.
  4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That is exactly what it is, and it was mentioned in the large Ioniq thread. The wait is own for more technical details with the cars' official release.

Designing a platform from the ground up for a hybrid means the engineers can make allowances for the battery pack, without running into packaging compromises of a conversion. That said, the redesigned Sportage is also coming out, and it looks very close to the Niro. So it could be an ICE conversion of a hybrid platform, and Kia feels a different name for the hybrid will be better for marketing.

The all-new Kia Sportage

5. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

I think doing hybrid SUV is a GREAT idea for anyone right now but execution is what I am not sure about. It doesnt look anywhere as good as Sportage, interior quality is two steps below 2016 Sportage and pricing will be either same or above 2016 Sportage. For Europe, Sportage is produced locally so this thing wont matter at all due to customs it will be significantly more. So it is built for USA but why would anyone get it over Sportage?

Sportage, Sportage, Sportage! They should have made Niro either half size smaller or larger to make it different enough. And they should offer Sportage with same powertrain! I think they offer at least 4 or 5 powertrains for Sportage already in Europe.

It is 2016, every new platform is made to accommodate batteries under the rear seats. So thats not a big deal anymore - but look at the trunk, lets forget about wide angle lens, it looks very, very high.

So compared to Sportage:
    + 10 MPG

- Looks more mainstream, Sportage is much more attractive.
    - Interior is dirt cheap, something from their bottom vehicles.
    - Trunk looks very shallow.
    - Sportage has faster powertrains, more choices.
    - Sportage will likely be cheaper despite looking more expensive, having significantly more expensive interior.

Niro vs Sportage is as if we had Corolla Hybrid vs Prius, them being the same price. It would not make much sense.

6. cmth

cmth Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Would prefer this thread to remain CHR focussed although all other comments have been good so far. Especially so as Navigare has been doing a great job finding various sightings of the CHR. Not long to go for the reveal on the 1st of March at Geneva Auto Show.

telmo744 likes this.
  7. Navigare

Navigare Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Thanks for your nice words. Only 2 week to go...

8. Navigare

Navigare Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
  9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Now it just looks like the NX.

10. cmth

cmth Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The carscoops rendering is good but I fear the real version will be less curvy. Also I find it difficult to imagine toyota will stray away much from their core principles of providing cars with utility value and practicality meaning more boxy than curvy. This one will be interesting.

11. Navigare

Navigare Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
  12. cmth

cmth Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Looking good. Can't wait to see it in full.

13. Navigare

Navigare Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    One week to go...

14. cmth

cmth Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Play this, I think there is quick slide showing side view from production C-HR

15. Navigare

Navigare Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    It's definitely the C-HR at the beginning, but i think from earlier shows.

16. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  17. Zojja

Zojja Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    In terms of trying to follow the guideline of if you don't have anything nice to say, you shouldn't say anything at all... I'll say yeah no.

18. cmth

cmth Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Looks much better than Prius Gen 4 to me. That is coming from a Prius owner who was very eagerly waiting for Prius Gen 4. And if it comes with an AWD option that will be the icing on the cake. With the design originating in Europe, I'm confident it will be much more refined than the Prius. The Auris HSD is much better in that respect than Prius Gen 3 so no reason to believe its not going to be the same here.

19. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    A thread with more photos is in Other Cars.
    Arriving after the gen3, Toyota engineers had more time to fine tune the HSD as it were. As for the rest of the car, making it in market does give an advantage in tailoring the car for those tastes. Most European designs tend to have their suspensions softened for American tastes before they arrive.:(

Holding off the E-four for the NA Prius in order to upsell to the C-HR might be the plan for here. It should have higher ground clearance to make the AWD more effective in the snow.

cmth likes this.
  20. Maxwell61

Maxwell61 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sergiospl and m.wynn like this.