1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Canada Expands 2014 Highlander Hybrid Models to 3 (with Pricing)

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Roland1555

Roland1555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Good point concerning the LED headlamp heat sink. Seems to me that early cars with LED headlamps tended to be pricey models and one of the reasons it took some time for a manufacturer to use the units was the problem with excess heat and limited light on the road. Seems that this stuff is largely behind us now, with even the newer Corolla having standard LED lights.

Next big/bright thing seems to be laser lights with Audi and is it Porsche having certain models having them, possibly more for the track than road at this point, but give it time.

Roland

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    BMW is another one, and they plan to have it on the i8.

Smart headlights will likely trickle down to most of the fleet first. I think there are already available on some Audis. Not in the US because of an old regulation though.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

The issue isn't snow accumulating on the headlights. It's on clear nights or days where the road is wet because it's just above freezing so there's a constant spray from the vehicle ahead of you onto the headlights.

4. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

The Prius wasn't that far behind. The Audi A8 and LS600h L were the first to have LED low beams and they came out around 2006.

You'll notice that Toyota has been improving the headlights as it went from a 4-cluster setup in the LS to a 3 cluster setup in the 2010/2011 models to a 2 cluster setup in the 2012+ Prius and now uses a single projector beam in the Corolla.

I will say though, it appears the Corolla's LEDs are perhaps of lower quality? The output from those headlights are a bit bluer than those from the Prius which appear pure white. It could be a case of the glass used in the projector lens but looking a Corolla head on versus a Prius, the colour difference is noticeable.

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The salt build up is the main reason for wanting headlight washers? I saw how bad that can get this winter. Snowy/icy winters just aren't common enough for the majority of people in the US to demand them. Which sucks for you all in Canada. Considering you are generally charged more for a car, they could give you some extras.

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

When you live this far north, salt doesn't work ;). It's the slurry of sand and water that gets you constantly spraying washer fluid on your windshield; think rally races but not as severe (although I've had an SUV cover my entire car, yes including the roof, in muddy slush at 50mph. That was scary).

Yeah we tend to get whatever the U.S. gets or at least certifies. It's rare that we'll certify an option that isn't available in the U.S. (I suppose automatic headlights on the 2010/2011 models is one lol).