1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Toyota Canada Prices 2017 Prius Prime!!

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, May 16, 2017.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota Canada has finally released Canadian info!!

Major points:

• Launches exclusively in Quebec on June 1, 2017
    • Base: $32,900 MSRP ($35,204 under Quebec's all-in pricing law)
    • Technology: $38,565 MSRP ($40,779 under Quebec's all-in pricing law)

Colours:

Blizzard Pearl
    Magnetic Grey Metallic
    Hypersonic Red
    Titanium Glow
    Blue Magnetism

Launching exclusively in Quebec in response to Quebecers’ leadership in the adoption of hybrid and electric cars, the 2017 Toyota Prius Prime goes on sale June 1 at a price that’s sure to please | Toyota Canada

Prius Prime - Toyota Canada

@PrinceD11 @EddyCurrent @Primetoronto @Prashanta

Son of Gloin likes this.
  2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

Canada and the USA have some differences so forgive my ignorance:
    • "exclusive Quebec" - does this mean Canadians from other provinces can not buy the car or do they just give up the Quebec 'rebate' that I would face from any out of state purchase?
    • Do Canadians face similar crappy rules (i.e., Toyota has to write a letter) trying to buy a USA car that US citizens face trying to buy a Canadian car?
    • I did not see a reference to TSS-P, did I miss something?
    For what it is worth, I'm glad to see the Prime in Canada!

Bon chance! Laissez le bon temps rouler,

Bob Wilson

Son of Gloin likes this.
  3. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    TSS-P is mentioned in the second link as standard if you choose Quebec.

4. Pugwinkle

Pugwinkle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    ----Canada----
    @Tideland Prius
    I'm also curious about Bob's first two points?? Any answers to that?

5. canuck2013

canuck2013 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I'm in Ontario and called a Quebec dealer, asking if I can buy a Prime. Got a very clear "no". All Quebec prime sales *must* be to Quebec residents and get Quebec plates, no exceptions.

Furthermore, if you're still thinking of trying to work around this, read the rules of the Ontario incentive - it says it's ok to buy a car out of province (out of country even) and apply for the incentive, BUT, the incentive is only valid on the vehicles listed in the incentive. Currently, the prime is not listed, so I guess there's no Ontario incentive on it.

Tracksyde likes this.
  6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For now, my guess is they want the credits so they'll want to register as many vehicles in Quebec as possible so they're probably allocating the first few batches to Quebec. There is no mention of when the nationwide release will be so who knows. It could be the 2018 MY for all we know (and really, the difference between June and Sept isn't too great unless you're in a situation where you have a lease expiring in that time frame). TBH, I don't think the rest of the country is missing out. It'll be worth the wait.

No. You can import a car from the US as you wish. You just have to follow the import rules (notify CBSA of the day you're intending to cross, have all papers and documents ready, have the cash available for GST/PST and RIV fee etc).

TSS-P will be standard. The two models are essentially your Plus and Advanced models. The only difference I've found so far is that Canada gets standard heated steering wheel. (Oh and no Entune with the 2017 models so the Technology version doesn't have the Prime Apps. However, it appears that PED is available - labelled as intelligent drive coach).

bwilson4web likes this.
  7. Pugwinkle

Pugwinkle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    ----Canada----
    @Tideland Prius What is PED? What is your best guess on whether we will get Entune for the 2018 Prius and Prius Prime?

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    predictive efficient driving. the car is supposed to learn your route and improve mpg's based upon the data.

Pugwinkle likes this.
  9. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    As far as Alberta is concerned, we have a NDP government for the time being ("left wing" for those Americans who are scratching their heads on that term). They have instituted a "Carbon Tax", are paying "Carbon Tax rebates", have two programs using some of the money collected from the carbon tax to help Albertans convert their houses to better efficiency (Ecobee thermostat, LED lights, water efficient showerheads etc). They have indicated that so far they don't think rebates for EVs or Hybrids are a "good thing". That may change in the future. They -are- consulting with "green guys". ;)

It's surprising that only a small fraction of "Red Neck Albertans" are screaming. Perhaps many see the benefit of moving on with the times. Perhaps we WILL see EV credits or requirements in the future. One can only hope.

For now, when Toyota Canada deems it prudent, we will pay "full price" for a Prime, like true Canadians (just check out what we have to pay for other things - an "Amazon Echo" costs $333 Can. for example, compared to $170 US - Amazon.ca compared to Amazon.com). ;)

#9 David Beale, May 18, 2017
    Last edited: May 18, 2017
  10. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Just tell them it is so you'll be able to sell more tar sand oil the dumb Yanks.
    I know your prices are higher than expected but I've had a touch of your winters once. Not sure what "Echo" is but sounds dreadfully expensive. How about something we can relate too ... pint of Guiness?

Bob Wilson

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Bisco's got it. It's Predictive Efficient Drive. It coaches you on when you accelerate and lift off the accelerator. It learns where you normally stop on your commute and then coaches you on when you lift off to come to the stop efficiently.

Here's a thread with a photo. It's the green leaves near intersections. The red dots are a different feature (Route Trace)
    Green dots on map | PriusChat

Well if the 2018 Prime launches after the Camry, then I would assume it will be 2018. If the Camry launches after the 2018 Prime, then we probably won't see it for another year (unless TCI does a mid-year update which is really rare). My best guess is 2018 only because the Prius Prime is Toyota's technological leader. It would be weird to offer it in other Toyotas and not have it in the Prime. That's just my opinion.

Pugwinkle likes this.
  12. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    You and Alaska also get the more 'aggressive' battery heater.

13. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Aggressive indeed ! We had an Alaskan Gen 4 engine heater caught fire.

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sure it's not just built in to all vehicles? Seems odd unless they're banking on a small number of people moving between AK and the contiguous such that any issues will be isolated. It's not like the midwest doesn't get as cold as AK or Canada.

15. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There is a place on the engine where it just bolts on. The Alaskan dealer initially routed the power cable so it interfered with the grille shutters. After getting an error the owner rerouted the cable.
    I suspect the cable had internal damage and the front of the car was destroyed. The insurance company was blaming the cable and investigating further last I heard.

16. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    From the operation description, it sounded like it was simply a software difference. Toyota HQ could just be using latitude to determine which markets have which active. The cold market setting likely helps with start up efficiency, and might prevent entering HV mode right away when things got too cold. I don't see how not having it in the cold market, or having it in a warm market, could lead to issues that would lead to damage.

That sounds like an engine block heater, and that is a common option for all cars in areas with harsh winters. Really cold places can call for coolant and starter battery heaters.

The Prime has a traction battery heater. Charging the majority of Li-ion chemistries at temperatures below freezing require doing so at a much slower rate to avoid damage. A simple heater is the KISS solution to allowing charging at near normal rates. The Prime's heater is programed to keep the battery at a low set temp for a set period of time; it doesn't want to waste electric maintaining temp if the car is being parked for a week. Alaska and Canada have the heater stay on for longer than in the lower US. The specifics are in the owner's manual I believe.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  17. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ Yeah I was getting befuddled. There's a battery heater for the Prime (something new), and engine block heater (been around for donkey's years).

Trying to finetune car parameters for climate based on on international borders seems a little misguided: lower mainland BC, Canada, vs Fargo, North Dakota, USA for example.

18. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Until you consider the effect of borders on the company's supply chain and technician training.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  19. Gaëtan Lafrance

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology

Pour le 1er point :eek:ui

For the first question: yes

20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    People from out-of-province cannot purchase from Quebec?

Personnes qui habitents en dehors du Québec ne peut pas acheter?

Prodigyplace and bwilson4web like this.