1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota can't read iPhone address or #'s

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by ProximalSuns, Mar 25, 2012.

1. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Another tech issue is that Toyota's phone/nav interface cannot read most of the iPhone phone numbers and addresses. Apparently the iPhone (and Outlook, Apple Contacts) offer too many categories for phone numbers and addresses and Toyota only reads one type of contact information entry.

Toyota does not publish how it wants the iPhone contacts info entered for Toyota to read it correctly for phone and nav applications.

I can probably reverse engineer it. Look at the 5% of contacts Toyota can read, note which fields are used in Outlook/Apple Contacts, and modify them to fit Toyota's limited read capability.

2. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have a 2010, so a very different Nav system, but it imported my iPhone's phone book with no major problems. It definitely doesn't have all the categories (especially the custom ones from my Mac), but it did still get the numbers, just giving them a generic category instead. There is a limit of 3 phone numbers per contact, though. I think it may create another contact for additional numbers, but I can't remember off the top of my head.

3. ProximalSuns

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Definitely not working on 2012 system with iPhone 4 with latest IOS. Contacts are on iPhone but don't show at all or no phone number or address if they do show.

Might have to do with Nav ability to use the Phonebook contacts and Toyota went to reading just certain fields while iPhone contacts offers many fields and near free form address and Prius can't see them.

4. Voltan

Voltan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Our gen 3 w/nav and JBL audio does not read any of the contacts on either a Motorola Droid X or an HTC Incredible. Furthermore the FM radio does not sound like a premium radio to me, although the performance on CD is satisfactory. The audio system and poor rear visibility are the two major disappointments of our Prius experience.

5. ProximalSuns

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I wonder if it's the Nav/Phonebook interface (a great idea that my Escape Hybrid did not have) is the issue. In order to be usable for the Nav system, the Phonebook entries have to be a format that is not found on the phone's Phonebook.

Seems crazy no one from Toyota actually sat down with some of the popular phones and tried it out.

6. PlasticHead

PlasticHead Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My 2012 III can read phone #'s but not addresses.... Just discovered that yesterday.

Bill

7. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Are you sure you have the latest OS in the IPhone ?
    (OS 5)

8. PlasticHead

PlasticHead Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yep, IOS 5.1

9. ProximalSuns

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Same year and model for me.

There are a few it can read phone number. A few that it can read phone and address. But very few.

Some in the iPhone Contacts list it doesn't see at all.

Baffling.

Cars goes to Toyota tomorrow to fix XM issue. It can't do XM Nav Traffic or XM Nav Weather even though both are sold with the car and the XM radio.

XM says easy fix. That Toyota has to reprogram the radio. Hopefully they are right.

I'm going to squawk about the iPhone contacts for Prius phone and Prius nav and see what they can do.

10. ProximalSuns

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So got answers at Toyota.

1. Phone book contacts are problematic. Some phones and carriers work, others don't and a lot are in between. Toyota reps said it has to do with the carrier not allowing the phone to give away the information. Likely for security reasons so Bluetooth hookup doesn't grab the customers contact list. Though this was not an issue with my Ford Escape phone but then Ford nav system could not see the Phonebook contacts at all and all these had to be entered manually as stored contacts.

Only work around on contacts is put them by hand in "Stored" on the Prius for both nav location and for phone number if they are one of the contacts that does not transport from phone to car.

2. On XMNavTraffic, only the 7" HDD unit is capable of "XM Dataservices" which is XMNavTraffic. The 6" units can't do it. You can get traffic via your phones internet connection and Entunes but not the XMNavTraffic even though Toyotay gives you free subscription.