1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Care Plus worth it?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by iwannaprius, Feb 4, 2012.

1. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    NO DO NOT DO it they just cheated me today DID not even rotated the tires ... I questioned it first but they convinced me there it was done... but at home I know there is a repair on one of the tire which I knew it was on the front wheel and I found it on the front again at home !!!I was looking for it on the front could not see ... so OK I said. the wear is so similar I just suspected at the time

What price they offered !!! currently the oil change $60-70 a piece at 10K tire rotation every 5K $20 plus the inspcetion and fluid NO fluid was needed for my car at 40k except oil change I KNOW I overpaid !!!

2. C Fan

C Fan New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Its been 30 days since I called the dealer and asked for the plus plan to be cancelled. So far - unresponsiveness and misleading info from the dealer. They told me that they sent the request to Toyota. Called Toyota and they say no such request received. Faxed a letter to Toyota directly. May take another 30 days to get the refund (and Toyota says they're going to deduct around 10%. Seems unreasonable since the plus plan hasn't even kicked in yet, but I didn't want to argue). Once again, fingers crossed... And be warned about Toyota Sunnyvale dealership's poor after-sales help.

3. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    First all dealers are scumbags. Do not trust anything they are telling you.

I would not put up with waiting 30 days. I would tell them that I have devoted the next 2 days to get this done and you will be calling every resource at the dealer and Toyota until this was resolved and start filling complaints with the Better Business bureau and every other agency you can find.

I would ask for regional managers and area manager for Toyota and keep calling them. The squeaky wheel gets oiled first.

4. tpme06

tpme06 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just picked my prius up last night. I didn't get the extended care plan, however, I did get the extended warranty. I know these are usually a scam, so I had a long chat with the guy who was helping me. Ended up getting 5 years 125k miles for $1026. I put 25k a year on, so I'll likely put the 125k right around the 5 year mark. I figured it was a small gamble, simple repairs can sometimes reach $1,000 pretty quickly. I trust Toyota more than any other car brand, but for only $1k I took a chance. I also ran it by my long time friend who is a Toyota Service Advisor and he said for that price it's not a bad option. We will see if it ever pays off, only time will tell! Either way, totally love my Prius.

Side note: The dealer I went to, Hulbert Toyota in Epping, NH, is awesome! Highly recommended. Straight shooters through the whole process, and not pushy at all.

chinarut and DoubleDAZ like this.
  5. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Chances are very good you will never use that warranty. There are many here with over 100,000 mile and zero repairs. I have 93,000 miles on my 2010 with zero repairs.

Most scumbag dealers put fear into their customers telling them it is a high tech car and if something breaks it will be expensive. They lie and tell customers that if the battery alone fails you can be looking at $3,000+.

The truth is none of the Hybrid system including the battery is NOT, again NOT covered by an extended warranty. The good thing is the factory warranty covers Hybrid related components including the battery for FREE for 8 years or 100,000 miles. In some states even longer. I would try to get your money back.

List of Excluded Components
    • Accessory Drive Belts
    • Batteries
    • Body Panels
    • Brake Linings, Pads and Shoes
    • Bumpers
    • Carpet
    • Chrome
    • Clutch Friction Disk and Pressure Plate
    • Dash Cover and Pad
    • Door Trim, Handles and Fabric
    • Filters
    • Fluids
    • Glass (including Windshield)
    • Headliner
    • Heating Hoses, Lines and Tubes
    • Hinges
    • Hybrid System Main Relays
    • Hybrid Vehicle Battery
    • Hybrid Vehicle Battery Module/Pack
    • Hoses
    • Interior and Exterior Trim Moldings, including but not limited to, Cup Holders, Ashtrays, Covers, and Vents
    • Lamps
    • Light Bulbs
    • Nuts, Bolts, Clips, Retainers and Fasteners
    • Paint
    • Rotors and Drums
    • Rust and Corrosion Damage
    • Seat Covers
    • Service Plug
    • Shiny Metals
    • Spark Plugs
    • Structural Framework and Wells
    • Tires
    • Vacuum Hoses, Lines and Tubes
    • Weather Stripping
    • Wheels and Rims
    • Windshield Wiper Blades (Rubber Component)

lensovet likes this.
  6. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What exactly covers this warranty ??? engine transaxel and what ???

7. PruisAz

PruisAz Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    • The Toyota Care does not include wheel alignments.
    • My normal visit at Firestone includes Oil change, rotations (free) and lifetime alignments ($160 one time fee). Cost for this service is $29.99 every time I go (every six months).
    • $29.99 x 10 -15 visits lasting some five years = $300 - $450. Give or take...

What is the Toyota Care gonna cost you for five years........? $ 1561

chinarut likes this.
  8. sweetie

sweetie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I am in the same boat as you were x months ago.. I bought a Prius from the same dealership and the same Care Plus plan. Were you able to get the refund? How did you make it if you did? Thanks in advance!

9. Liberajl

Liberajl New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I just bought a 2013 Plug-in and do a lot of driving. I called a Toyota Service Dept and if I take my car in every 5K miles for maintenance (10K for the oil change) plus the medium (every 15K) services and the big (every 30K) services it will cost in the neighborhood of $1,550 over 75K miles. I have a price on the 5 yr 75K mile policy of less than $1,000. With my high mileage and normal inflation, I am thinking that it will very much worth it for me to buy the policy. Also I know from having worked in dealerships in the past that if you have a warranty and have NOT maintained the car that you will have a more difficult time expecting them to honor that warranty should you have a major problem with the car.... From what I hear this is not likely, the car is extreemly reliable....but what if??

chinarut likes this.
  10. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    You need to subtract the value of the first two years of free maintenance from your 75K miles total.

lensovet likes this.
  11. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I agree.

You also may sell the car and never use what you paid for.

12. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    How in the world is that possible!!!!!! I would love to see how much they charge to check the air pressure in your tire? $80 each time?

Here is what it should cost.

The Prius comes with a free 25,000 pre paid maintenance.

0 to 25,000 miles cost $0
    30,000 miles oil change $50, replace cabin and engine filter $30
    40,000 miles oil change $50
    50,000 miles oil change $50
    60,000 miles oil change $50, replace cabin and engine filter $30
    70,000 miles oil change $50

Total $310

I have 100,000 miles on my 2010 Prius and I have never had an issue. The only thing I paid for was a Transaxle flush. Something that would not be covered by Toyota Care. Sometimes I think people that work at dealers post these crazy prices so they can tell customers you can read it on Prius Chat. Paying $1550 for services that should cost $310 is not smart.

13. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Just remember, polygamy is illegal in the US. If you marry the dealership, then no other spouse for you.

14. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well that is not true !!! I had bought toyota care 5 year 50K for about $1400 for my 2010 prius in 2009 when it was still 5k oil change ... I know I overpaid ... BUT when my car was totalled (by Sandy) I called and requested the residual value. at 42,100 miles the refund was $286 ... so you can get the remaining portion back ...

But I agree with Judgless IT IS NOT worth it if only the required maintenance included !!! but not sure what the charge is for the "courtesy inspection whatever points" always included on the toyota care bill if you do not have the package...

And yes they NOT always even rotate the tires "accidentally" of couse I suspteced it once and could prove it next time !!! I was pissed ...

JMD likes this.
  15. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    You forgot the tyre rotations. <<grin>>

Honestly, I really wonder about people who fight tooth and nail for a dealership 'deal', but refuse to just buy the stuff and DIY for something around $100 for the entire 5 years. FWIW, I have been receiving groupons lately offering oil/filter/tyre-rotation for about $11. I took advantage of one a few weeks ago to avoid working on the car in our December cold. I brought along the oil and filter I wanted them to use, and made sure they had a new crush washer, too ;)

The lube place wanted to charge me an additional $30 because it was a synthetic oil change, but I explained that the oil I brought was "actually" the shit stuff they use, only in a fancy container. Even they knew they were being idiots and they backed off.

16. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not sure how you rotate tires and check brakes... with the jack ?? Come on !! Also just the tools to do all this cost money ... And how do you hook up techstream etc ... DIY is not for everyone I would change a tire in emergency but tire rotations on the drive-way (not everyone even has a garage ... people live in cities !!!)

17. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    You do not need a tech-stream to rotate tyres; for brake inspection one eye will do, and you can leave it in the socket. In fact, I use no additional purchased tools beyond what I use for the oil exchange. My cars live outside of a garage, and are worked on outside. I have a big piece of carton for my delicate backside.

I did buy a spiffy hydraulic jack and car jack stands years ago. Luckily they are not a throwaway item, so although it took the equivalent of two dealership visits to break even money wise, I figure they will pass to my children when I die. Two cars, 2 times a year for a lot of people. Do the math.

Oh, and before you try and tell me how your time is valuable, I'll mention that it takes me less than 30 minutes for the exchange and tyre rotations. Net. No driving to the dealership, waiting for a 'service advisor' to try and upsell stuff, no extra time to correct errors by the teenager doing the service...

Did I miss any rationalization ?

The only downside really is that I have to provide my own tea and cookie.

chinarut, HybridBull and irrational like this.
  18. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Most tire places will sell you a package for your car that includes rotation and road hazard repair for the life of your tires even though you did not buy the tire there. That cost $50 to $90 for the entire car.

My tires get rotated every time I switch from summer to winter snow tires and back again. That is free because I do it.

19. Me Here

Me Here Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    How much did everyone pay for their extended maintenance car program? I could have sworn I paid less than $800 and it covers the car up until 60,000 with "services" every 5,000 miles and I could be mistaken but somewhere in there I got roadside assistance and car rental (but that may be for the cars extra warranty, not services.) Plus isn't an oil change for a Prius more expensive? Different oil or something.

20. ituyeh

ituyeh New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just got my 2013 prius 3 today. I refused to buy the extended service plan. He almost convinced me to get it. He said the extended service also covers the major 30k, 45k, and 60k miles service, which costs more than $1200 (that's the price of extended service for 5 years). But none of you in this thread actually mentioned anything about these major services. If it's just oil change and tire rotation, for sure it's a rip off, but if it covers major services as well, wouldn't it be a sweet deal?

According to toyota website (can't post a link here since i'm a newbie) the entended service covers the 30k, 45k, and 60k major services as well.

Am i mistaken about this coverage?