1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Care Plus worth it?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by iwannaprius, Feb 4, 2012.

1. dragonfly13

dragonfly13 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I purchased the extended care and was told the same thing. I think it's worth it. You have time to go Bach to the dealer and get it, but don't wait to long or the offer will be gone.

2. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    A fool and his money are soon parted -unknown

mmmodem likes this.
  3. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    The dealer may be inflating what's "recommended" for those service intervals. If you go by the manual there's nothing very "major" about those services.

Only thing you really need to know is that if it was a great deal they wouldn't be pushing it.

4. DumbMike

DumbMike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think the question you have to ask yourself is whether you can do the stuff listed in the maintenance plan. If so, and you want to do it, then don't get the maintenance plan. But, my thought process was that I'm getting too old to crawl under my car, so I got the 4 year plan (sorry but I don't know how much I paid) and I'm glad I did. I just drop off my car at the dealership on Saturday morning, I walk a couple of blocks to the Third Street Promenade in Santa Monica, get breakfast and do some walking around there until they call me when my car is done.

Note that there are different kinds of maintenance plans and they can cover up to the 60K mark. At the milage you stated, there are major services. But some people here don't think it's very major. Like I said, I didn't want to do it myself, major or not, so I was happy to pay somebody else to do it for me.

But in a few more months my plan will expire and I'm back to crawling under the car, again, and I don't look forward to it at all. I'm sure they'll want to sell me a plan to extend the maintenance, but I'm also thinking that maybe I should learn more about my car and do my own maintenance. We'll see.

Mike

5. AZPriusdriver

AZPriusdriver New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I've had numerous issues since purchasing my 2012 Toyota Prius C new in 2013. From the start, the car wouldn't start when it was hot out, which it is a lot of the time here in the Phoenix, Ariz., area. I'd have to wait a minute or two and try to restart and then usually another minute or two before restarting again. I took it to the dealer and they said they saw no code, so this never happened and couldn't happen. It's been 3 years and it's still happening. It also suddenly loses all power from time to time, leaving me stranded in the path of oncoming traffic. The last time, my key wouldn't come out of the ignition. Toyota has blamed me for things, including a friend who pressed the brake and gas at the same time in 2015 causing the problems that started in 2013. They blamed my hair, which I have cut numerous times shorter and shortet, and dirt, for clogging up the air vent.

So while it's great on gas mileage, the dealership won't honor the warranty or extended warranty and no matter how many times I re-read the manual, I haven't been able to memorize everything and there are just no answers for some things.

I bought this car because everyone told me how reliable it was. My experience has been otherwise. And it only has 8700 miles on it!

I am trying to figure out at this point whether to take my chances on a used car or keep the car I have and find an honest mechanic who can and will actually look at something besides diagnostic codes and not keep telling me that software never fails.