1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Care Plus

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by carlbarry, Oct 22, 2014.

1. carlbarry

carlbarry Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just had my final warranty inspection/oil change on my 2012 Prius, with 7,300 miles. The employee who took my information tried to sell me on a two year Toyota Care Plus contract, contending that I'd receive oil changes, cabin filter changes, and some kind of transmission flushing, for $300, "a great savings."
    According to the Toyota web site, it seems that all I'd get is 2 oil changes and the cabin filter change.
    Seems like a real bad deal. The dealer offers an oil change for around $63.
    Am I missing something?
    Thanks.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Up to you, but it's really just a lock-you-in money maker, in my opinion. But then, I'm doing my own maintenance.

The $300 transmission "flushing" is way off base. The Prius transaxle is not a traditional automatic in any sense. A drain of it's fluid get's almost all the fluid. Toyota Genuine ATF-WS is the spec, you really shouldn't use anything else. It's a simple operation. It IS a good idea to change the transaxle fluid, say around 25~30,000 miles, then every 60,000 miles thereafter, in my opinion.

Toyota's recommendation, apart from giving the ATF spec, is to NEVER change it. But it is cheap and easy to do, and it's your car.

They shouldn't be charging much over $100 for this. To be kind, the person you were talking to is likely not at all knowledgeable on the Prius transaxle, basically reading a script, doing his job.

TsKarma likes this.
  3. TsKarma

TsKarma Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Ditto what Mendel Leisk said. The staff doesn't know what he/she is talking about. Just going by the script given to them.
    No such thing as a Transmission Flush for a Prius.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you're keeping the car long term, the tranny fluid change is worthwhile as mendel said. so your cost outside of the deal is around $260., what about air filter at 30k and tyre rotate every 5k?

5. carlbarry

carlbarry Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's what the Toyota web site says is covered by the plan, which is for 2 years or 25,000 miles:
    Services such as oil and filter changes, multi-point inspections and tire rotations are covered. Oil and filter changes will be made every 5,000 miles for conventional oil vehicles and 10,000 miles for synthetic oil vehicles.2 All services are based on the recommendations in your vehicle's Scheduled Maintenance Guide

So again, all I see on their website for my $300 is tire rotation, 2 oil changes, and cabin and engine filter changes. Hardly worth $300. She flashed the list in front of my face and wouldn't let me keep it. Reminded me of a timeshare presentation.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think you might be wrong, if they are throwing in the tranny oil. but it isn't among toyota's recommendations.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The cabin and engine filters are ridiculously overpriced these days, a cash grab. Also, according to my Canadian schedule I was supposed to replace the engine filter at 48000 km's at the lastest. I checked it recently, I'm around that km now, and there is no way I'm going to change it: maybe the car's led a sheltered life or something, this west coast climate, but that filter still looks brand new.

And the cabin filter: I've blown the dust off it once or twice and re-installed, cannot get excited about it. We drive with just windows cracked, ventilation system off, half the time.

carlbarry likes this.
  8. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you have only put 7,300 miles on your vehicle in 3 years of operation, I think you are much better off simply paying out of pocket for maintenance as needed and scheduled.

It is up to you, but an extension of " Toyota Care " for 2 years, on a vehicle that is essentially still new? At $300, seems like a bad investment.

You are likely to only need Oil Changes and perhaps cabin filter changes, all which can be done relatively cheaply.

carlbarry likes this.
  9. carlbarry

carlbarry Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If that is not specified in the 25,000 mile maintenance schedule, it is not included. This is in response to the transmission fluid response.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    understood, i just thought she mentioned it. and btw, you do a disservice to timeshare salespeople when you compare them to auto service people.:p

11. carlbarry

carlbarry Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, she did mention it. Pointed it out on a pamphlet from Toyota. But wouldn't let me keep it, said she'd "staple it" to the bill. Riiiiight.
    Auto service people are worse than TS salesweasels? Holy cow, that would seem to be physically impossible.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    close one for sure.(y)

carlbarry likes this.
  13. VicVinegar

VicVinegar Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I noticed the "Toyota Express" service some dealers advertise perform almost all of the inspection pieces at no charge. So synthetic oil change with those inspection should check the boxes for most services. I'll do my own air filters for 30k.