1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota CEO comments on GM

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by malorn, Jan 10, 2006.

1. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

In your opinion. Emissions do not concern you as much as they do for me... The car you pointed to to make all your comparisions, the Malibu, does acceptably for mileage but FLUNKS emissions.

The fact is I see GM as a whole being way behind in emissions. Ford does better easily. And GM has not clearly stated what their plans are to improve their lineup.

Waiting for fuel cell technology is not acceptable. They cannot continue to defer improving the emissions control systems on their cars.

2. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    They do concern me, I am honestly not very familiar with the terminology and ratings to do much commenting.

3. EricGo

EricGo New Member

You must be jesting.

Lets fill in a table together (I'll add info as you provide comparison vehicles)

Vehicle---------------Combined EPA----------Pollution Scale (CARB state)
    Yaris
    Corolla (Best)------------- 33 --------------------- 7.0
    Prius----------------------- 55 --------------------- 9.5
    Matrix---------------------- 31 --------------------- 7.0
    Camry Hybrid------------- 40 --------------------- 9.0
    Highlander Hybrid--------- 29 -------------------- 9.0
    2wd Tacoma -------------- 23 -------------------- 6.0

4. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    GM does not build comparable vehicles as of yet other than the Vibe which I would imagine is the same as the matrix. Also the 4cyl manual colorado is rated the same as the tacoma.

5. EricGo

EricGo New Member

'Day and Night' is so subjective.

Is FIVE times more pollutants a a significant amount to you ? If Los Angeles could remove 4 of every five cars from the roads today, do you think it would make a difference in their air quality ? If two cars were identical in every respect expect for this difference in pollutants, would you argue with designating one green, and other not ?

Regarding CO2: Kyoto asked countries to decrease CO2 production by 10 percent (I think from 1990 amounts) and the US balked that was too extreme. Toyota vehicles by class produce from 20 - 100 percent less CO2 than comparable GM cars.

6. EricGo

EricGo New Member

GM does not build the Vibe. Toyota builds the Matrix, and GM rebadges it as the Vibe. Corolla platform, Toyota parts.

By comparable I meant size and use.

7. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    China signed on and is doing a marvelous job of reducing C02 wouldn't you agree? In most major cities the visibilty is what 1/4 mile on most days?

8. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Eric I noticed you have averaged 56.4 mpg for 27k of driving your Prius. That is the highest long-term avg I think I have seen, what is your secret?

9. EricGo

EricGo New Member

Adding the Colorado, Malibu Maxx, Cobalt..
    Note that Best automatics picked

10. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

Sigh. Signing the treaty doesn't mean that magically the smog over major cities in China will disappear overnight.

It's about a long term commitment. Real results won't be seen for years, but you've got to take the first steps. You can't pretend like there's nothing wrong.

China is clearly taking steps. They are in fact investing in hybrid technology themselves, both with companies like Toyota and on their own.

Oh, and CO2 is not necessarily the aspect that affects visibility. I would imagine smog does more.

11. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    You can't compare hybrids with non-hybrids and the Maxx is a v6. So much for your comparisons. Next time at least try to be fair.

12. EricGo

EricGo New Member

Perhaps you are not looking very hard ? The best database is at greenhybrid.com. My fuel economy is respectable, but by no means stellar.

My most important secret is keeping my wife in the passenger seat. Since taking the car away from her in March 2005 (well, for 90% anyway), mpg is a bit over 60.

I do everything I can to improve fuel economy, so long as it is safe.

I do not speed, and often add 5 - 10 minutes to my drives by taking city streets rather than highways.
    I anticipate stops
    I combine trips in the winter to avoid cold engine start-ups
    I pulse & glide as much as I can
    I use the AC sparingly (set to 80 in the summer, 65 in the winter after the car has warmed up)

13. EricGo

EricGo New Member

As I said, I picked best in class. Feel free to do the same. I just got tired of waiting for you.

14. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Good job, you are very dedicated to making a difference. :)

15. mdmikemd

mdmikemd Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It took me about 2 or 3 pages to realize it's better to just ignore him or just take malorn's replies from a satiric point of view. Sort of the way the "Colbert Report" reported on the "poor white woman" who probably had to stand because Rosa Parks took her seat.