1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Toyota chairman says people are finally seeing the reality about EVs

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Gokhan, Oct 25, 2023.

1. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That literally has nothing to do with Tesla's mission statement.

Absolutes have consequences... as Star Wars taught us.

#21 john1701a, Oct 26, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2023
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    more electric cars means more sustainable transportation. but previous to your post, we were talking about perceived tesla advantages.

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Interesting reflection. You brought up advantages. I wondered what they were, since what was implied contradicted Tesla's purpose... hence bringing up the mission statement.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    for me? a quality vehicle at a reasonable price. tax credits mean a lot, on top of msrp.

my decision to buy a bolt was form factor and cost. closest thing i could find to my 2004 prius.

otherwise, it would have been the m3or y.

5. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    'As EV sales momentum lags behind in the U.S. and more buyers gravitate to hybrids, he may be enjoying an “I told you so” moment.'

6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    I really smiled when I saw the oil Industries buying 100 million worth of superchargers. And V4 at that! what a hoot.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  7. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    They really truly don't care whether it's oil, amperes or magic. They just want to use their accrued wealth to stay wealthy, and I can't say I blame 'em.

8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Yes .... but if the oil industry gets smaller (ie; biden crew claiming man made climate change being a top concern - ie; must limit oil's pollution), it's ironic the industry could be selling electricity in the near future - even though it's their products that typically are sourced for electricity's creation.
    what a hoot !

9. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I guess I'm just used to it. Our oldest solar panels (37 years!) were manufactured by Atlantic Richfield.

Zythryn likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Maybe, but only in his egotistical head

Trollbait and Zythryn like this.
  11. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I see it as any blip in the growing EV market share is seen as confirmation bias for Toyota.

Mike

12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Seems someone isn't looking at the year to year increases but looking at the slight blip instead - attributable to any ever increasing commodity.
    Even with the ups & downs, over the last 5 years Tesla (largest ev producer) has gone from roughly $25 a share - versus oner $200 currently.

View attachment 249334

The fact that all the other laggards are still trying to catch up & having issues with production ups & downs production doesn't really matter that much does it? All in all the sales chart IS going up generally speaking. Geez who are these people that freak out over a couple months of a downward trend.
    There value still out performs t bill or insurance annuities.

Attached Files:

#32 hill, Oct 26, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2023
  13. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oil and Gas Companies are typically very well managed, nimble, diversified, forward thinking and intimately involved in world geopolitical issues. Sell them short at your own risk -

An article from a couple of years ago show they were already intimately involved in renewable energy

How Oil Companies Are Facilitating The Renewable Revolution (forbes.com)
    "In reality, they have been fully engaged in the huge undertaking of transitioning their businesses and practices toward the renewables sector. So, far from being its enemies, they are increasingly its facilitators.”"

These companies are managed by people smarter than we could possibly imagine.
    They have the wealth, experts, political clout and outstanding management to succeed and excel in the current environment.

Venezuela holds 17% of the worlds oil reserves.
    Here is how one Oil and Gas Company has figured out how to succeed in a very challenging country and political environment - running circles around our incompetent government which has had no to limited success there.
    U.S. Allows Chevron to Expand Energy Operations in Venezuela - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

U.S. grants Chevron license to pump oil in Venezuela - The Washington Post

#33 John321, Oct 26, 2023
  14. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    btw .... lovin' the ridiculous fake EV that will never reach production kind-of sort of Car - that's supposed to represent what people want Even though tons of SUVs are being sold.

upload_2023-10-26_16-49-27.png

15. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Our government isn’t so much incompetent (in this case) as bought.

16. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    At least he isn't Trevor Milton: Nikola NKLA Trevor Milton damages

Shares of electric truck maker Nikola traded higher Tuesday after the company said in a regulatory filing that its disgraced founder, Trevor Milton, has been ordered to pay the company about $165 million in damages.

Shares closed up about 9%, trading at a little more than $1. The company’s market value was about $375 million as of Tuesday’s close.
    . . .
    Milton, who founded Nikola in 2014 and served as its CEO and executive chair, resigned in September 2020 after short seller Hindenburg Research accused Nikolaof making false statements about its technologies to boost its stock and secure partnerships with major automakers.

Milton was found guilty in federal court last year on three counts of fraud related to statements he made while leading the company. He is scheduled to be sentenced Nov. 28.

I think Sandy Munro once said that any company whose founder gets wealthy before the company achieves profitability is doomed. That pattern also matches Lucid motors. A founder who draws a fat paycheck instead of investing in the company has their head screwed on backwards.

Bob Wilson

#36 bwilson4web, Oct 26, 2023
    Zythryn likes this.
  17. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Wish I could have gotten in on the short sale of Nicola stock

18. FalconSeven

FalconSeven Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it's worse than unethical. I think that Toyota is rolling back a lot of what they used to stand for. I see things like the Crown Hybrid Turbo Max iForce with it's pathetic EPA range (don't have the numbers handy) and I can only shake my head. I think Hyundai/Kia have taken over the lead in truly efficient hybrids and Toyota is floundering.

Then you look at EVs and it's apparent Toyota is phoning it in. The b4xz is a dog, the Lexus version is somehow worse, and they've got no answers to their competitors in the EV space.

Right now I see tons of hyundai and Kia EVs sitting on lots. And who would buy them, as they're not eligible for the federal rebate. Meanwhile ID.4s, Bolts, and Teslas are all over the roads. I've even started seeing Lyrics, which does make sense as (per InsideEVs) GM produced 12000 Ultium vehicles last quarter. Which is more b4xzs than toyota intends to sell in a year.

As soon as gas hits 5/gallon again, and it will, people will be scrambling for EVs. To borrow a quote from Battlestar Galactica, "All this has happened before, and will happen again".

19. FalconSeven

FalconSeven Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it's worse than unethical. I think that Toyota is rolling back a lot of what they used to stand for. I see things like the Crown Hybrid Turbo Max iForce with it's pathetic EPA range (don't have the numbers handy) and I can only shake my head. I think Hyundai/Kia have taken over the lead in truly efficient hybrids and Toyota is floundering.

Then you look at EVs and it's apparent Toyota is phoning it in. The b4xz is a dog, the Lexus version is somehow worse, and they've got no answers to their competitors in the EV space.

Right now I see tons of hyundai and Kia EVs sitting on lots. And who would buy them, as they're not eligible for the federal rebate. Meanwhile ID.4s, Bolts, and Teslas are all over the roads. I've even started seeing Lyrics, which does make sense as (per InsideEVs) GM produced 12000 Ultium vehicles last quarter. Which is higher than b4xzs allotted to the US for a year.

As soon as gas hits 5/gallon again, and it will, people will be scrambling for EVs. To borrow a quote from Battlestar Galactica, "All this has happened before, and will happen again".

20. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Ecclesiastes 1:9 nothing new Under the Sun