1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota claims not aware of mouse problem

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by BubbleDogs, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    would it make you happy if they gave you free blinker fluid for life?

[​IMG]

Toyota glue gives off a cheese smell that attracts mice

Bill the Engineer and bisco like this.
  2. greg jones

greg jones Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Our 2006 prius has had mice problems for 10 years but hasn't cost us anything mechanically until now over $7,000 they set up nests in the hybrid area, It took the mechanics 3 hours to find it with their computer, BINGO . The whole system is shot. Car is totalled . We really liked the Prius and have found a 2008 with only 27,000 miles on it perfect car fax report, oil change done every 3,500 miles, etc. Kid of scared to get another, may consider a c-max energi. Can you repost all the places they can get into and how to put screening up, has this completely solved your mice problem in your Prius?

I searched the site for how to do the screening please restate how to find it. Thanks

3. DGH

DGH Thread Terminator

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry about that Greg, I'm assuming the damage occurred in the engine bay area and you really can't do much to stop that.

The link for what I did is posted below,I also did the cold air intake and on top of the cabin air filter. I have had no further issues with the little $%&#.

After learning the hard way, be super careful around the lower edge of the windshield at all times. Apply zero pressure anywhere near that edge, including when you reinstall the cowling. Lastly a good hardware store will have stainless steel self tapping screws which I prefer.

Ford huh, I vote for the low mileage 08.

Best,

Dan

MouseProofing the Prius | PriusChat

#123 DGH, Mar 19, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
    bisco likes this.
  4. E. Dennis

E. Dennis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Tesla Model X
    Model:
    N/A
    For what it's worth...
    The freshly filed Honda Class Action lawsuit regarding rodent problems appears to address the eco-friendly wiring and / or plastics used in their newer autos.
    Purportedly, Honda would not cover vermin-chewed wiring repairs for vehicles under factory warranty.
    I think the Plaintiff argument might be that the eco-friendly wiring is the "actual" vermin attractant (soy or corn based, I think), and that Honda has knowledge of the issue.
    An additional Honda Plaintiff argument might be that Honda sells or suggests the use of vermin wrap tape to its customers in an effort to help prevent the chewing creatures from wrecking your wiring.
    And the third Plaintiff argument might be that Honda simply replaces such damaged wiring with an identical factory harness, which simply starts the cycle over again--costing Honda consumers additional expense.

Just my personal comments of what I read about the issue...I think it's a very interesting civil case.

bisco likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it is very interesting, since most complaints here seem to think prius is the only car to have this problem.

6. E. Dennis

E. Dennis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Tesla Model X
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, Honda apparently offers the rodent tape as a Honda part number, so it'll probably be hard to argue that they have no knowledge of vermin problems....

That fact, in itself, might illustrate that the manufacturer is certainly aware of the vermin "attraction" to it's wiring.

More importantly, is the argument that vermin damage to high voltage hybrid vehicle wiring harnesses poses a significant shock risk.

My humble opinion, of course. Certainly a civil case worth following...

7. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Mice can squeeze through very small gaps. How about someone take the matter into their own hands. Obviously, corporate anything will not spend the time or resources on a problem unless a) it becomes a safety issue that could lead to a potential lawsuit, or b) enough people complain and file complaints with the feds.
    In almost all cars, the outside air intake is right under the small grill beneath the passenger windshield wiper. Shouldn't be hard to remove it and fabricate a piece of screen over the air intake. This should keep all critters out including a cricket that once found its way into my plenum box and stayed until he died one day and got caught in the filter.
    If anyone tries this trick, post your results here. I'm sure there are many who would be deeply indebted to you.

8. E. Dennis

E. Dennis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Tesla Model X
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm confident that the Honda Plaintiffs will prevail in this case. I think NHTSA complaints about vermin-chewed high-voltage hybrid harnesses clearly merits a formal investigation.

Such vermin damage obviously becomes a safety issue for roadside assistance and rescue folks who happen upon a distressed motorist with exposed high voltage wiring. If I recall correctly, there is a periodical available to rescue and emergency personnel which discusses the response dangers of hybrid vehicle high-voltage wiring.
    So, I suppose we'll see factory protective wiring sheaths....which deter chewing vermin....at some point.
    Just my opinion, of course...

9. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    E. Dennis--Yes--there are firefighting magazines that keep folks up to date on the latest issues--and hazards from hybrid batteries was one issue that I've seen in them. Basically, soon after hybrid cars appeared, folks worked out the special precautions that might be required for fighting fires in them and rescuing people from them, and IIRC exposed wires was a problem addressed.
    (No, I'm not a firefighter, but I'm on the Board of my local volunteer fire dept.)

And BTW, I'm 64 years old, and your previous post is the first time I have ever seen the phrase "rodent tape."

#129 kgall, Mar 24, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  10. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    This thread is every bit as hilarious as ever, especially the fact that its still alive at all.
    If a rhinoceros impales your radiator, is it Toyota's fault for not having a rhinoceros-proof grill? Lets all sue Toyota for failing to act on this imminent rhinoceros threat.
    If a deer jumps through your windshield and kills your mother-in-law in the passenger seat, is that Toyota's fault too?
    Better get those lawyers busy!

Sergiospl likes this.
  11. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well sure, but what's funnier than rodents and lawyers? Easy pickin's, I'd say.

12. KeinoDoggy

KeinoDoggy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't see anything hilarious here, except maybe the posters who are trying to ridicule the problem. I've had this happen on two Prii. I've been buying cars since 1973 and this is the first time I've had cars with mice deciding to take up residence in them. If you want to poo poo this that is fine but don't try to change the fact that there is an unusually high documented occurrence of this happening to Prii.

DogDaze, JohnF and DGH like this.
  13. E. Dennis

E. Dennis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Tesla Model X
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah, we have comedic jesters here. How entertaining. I'm always in for a good Rhinoceros joke.

Anyway....... , the Honda part number is 4019-2317, "Rodent tape".... available through your local Honda dealer, or Amazon, eBay, etc.

I'm thinking that Honda will end up settling this matter rather promptly to avoid a costly lawsuit. Should be interesting to see what develops.

14. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Keino and Dennis--yeah, I know the problem is real. My wife had a similar problem with her 1970s vintage Dodge some decades ago.
    I'm just one of those sick people who think certain real problems are also funny.

DogDaze and KeinoDoggy like this.
  15. E. Dennis

E. Dennis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Tesla Model X
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually...I don't give a rat's butt what other posters opine about the issue.

I just offered the recent Honda lawsuit information as an interesting tidbit that might be applicable to Toyota hybrid owners who have / or will experience vermin troubles.
    Hey, Happy Easter, hybrid owners :)

16. I'mJp

I'mJp Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Three
    Mice would eat the spark plug wires on my lawnmower all the way to the magneto.
    Mice would nest in the snowblower, and one time caused a friction fire where the belts are.
    They nested in my front end loader's carburetor, clogging it up.

Not anymore. I now use mothballs, throw them under the machine, in the engine compartment, wherever they've been found.
    The mice really don't like it.

jp

17. BubbleDogs

BubbleDogs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    My problem has been the fact that the mice come in the passenger compartment. I saw one tiny white mouse in the bottom of the driver's seat. There is the air flow vent underneath the seat, and there is a tiny section where the carpet is cut. That is where I found the freshly died little mousy. The smell was horrible, I had to drive with the windows open - thankfully it was in the summer. I put the order eliminating things everywhere. I do not eat things in the car and I do not leave any food matters in the car. My car is in the garage, while my husband's Silvarado is outside without any mouse problem.

18. DGH

DGH Thread Terminator

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you ever get your car screened off?

19. JohnF

JohnF Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hantavirus is no joke, and a car's cabin air system is an ideal way to spread it: "Transmission by aerosolized rodent excreta still remains the only known way the virus is transmitted to humans." - Wikipedia. Undoubtedly there are other viral/bacterial pathogens that can be transmitted from mice in this way. For the same reason, it's important to take precautions when cleaning out disused sheds, attics, basements, etc.: face mask, showering and fresh clothes afterwards.

But I am surprised that no one here has mentioned a classic Car Talk episode. A woman stored her dog's kibble in the garage in a bin without a lid. Mice decided that the air plenum of her car (an older full-sized American car as I recall, not a Prius) was the ideal place to stash the kibble they had taken. As a result, whenever she turned on the ventilation fan a few pellets of kibble would shoot out of the air vents. Her dog, who rode in the front seat, would gobble them up. After a while, whenever he seemed a bit blue she would turn on the fan and give him a snack.

BubbleDogs and DGH like this.
  20. BubbleDogs

BubbleDogs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    No :( I do not know where I can go - and I do not think I can do it by myself.