1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota confirms Prius-derived wagon; 2009 Prius to increase in size

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I still think Toyota missed a lot of sales by dropping the Camry Wagon. Several folks I know are holding on to them for dear life.

I also hope the Prius doesn't follow the usual 'Bloat' path. What are they going to do in 2016, bring out a new 'small' hybrid thats the same size as the current Prius once the Prius has grown to Camry size and the Camry has grown to Avalon size?

2. yakiprius

yakiprius New Member

It would be great to have a HYBRID crew cab little pickup...like the Subaru BAJA with all wheel drive....
    Or the Honda Ridgeline... Maybe with the Camry hybrid motor..

3. judymcfarland

judymcfarland Queen of Moral Indignation

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    x4

a little smaller would be fine with me -

4. Husker4theSpurs

Husker4theSpurs Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    With this news report, I am thinking my guesses about what is up for the '09 model year will be correct ... expect a mild re-fresh (maybe new headlight/taillight design or something ... a slight option change potentially) with the all-new model coming out in 2009 as a 2010 model. I will probably buy an '08 Prius sometime this winter and hold onto it until a few years into the new model.

As far as them making the Prius a bit larger, it will happen I'm sure ... it is just the way things go. It probably won't be anything too drastic ... just a few inches wider and a little bit longer ... probably nothing noticeable.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zenMachine @ Nov 6 2007, 09:59 AM) [snapback]535589[/snapback]</div>
    How tall? I can fit in and I'm by no means vertically challenged (I'm long legged).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boo @ Nov 6 2007, 10:00 AM) [snapback]535591[/snapback]</div>
    True... although the new 2009 Corolla is actually 2 inches wider and 1 inches shorter

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Nov 6 2007, 12:25 PM) [snapback]535670[/snapback]</div>
    hood = roof (for convertibles)
    indicators = turn signals
    hazard light = 4-way flashers

etc etc

nerfer, the pavement is the sidewalk so yeah you got that bit right.

I don't remember the delivery van bit but I'm also certain it's mentioned in Top Gear :p

6. samiam

samiam Antipodean Prius Poster

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Pavement can either be the road surface or the sidewalk (footpath), it was just meant to be paved.

Also pick-ups are called "utes" (for utility) in NZ and OZ. A truck is a truck (unless its a semi, an a-train, or a b-train, or in OZ a road-train). :lol:

7. Lim

Lim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Grandma Judy @ Nov 7 2007, 05:33 AM) [snapback]535713[/snapback]</div>
    x5

I prefer fuel efficiency. Crude Oil future hit US$97.

8. bgdrewsif

bgdrewsif New Member

Phoenix, Arizona (formerly Bowling Green, Ohio)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the current size is just big enough... after 26,000 miles I have had absolutely no need for a larger car... my current Prius is just the right size for all my needs and small enough to easily maneuver into a parking space (even for parellel parking)... I would not want a car that was any longer or wider...

9. slrobtx

slrobtx New Member

One of the reasons I bought my Prius was because of its "smaller" size. If I'd wanted a bigger car, I would've bought the Camry or Highlander Hybrid. :p

10. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wagon, station wagon, estate car.
    Sidewalk, footpath, flags.
    Prius, Prius, Prius.

11. jbriney

jbriney Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    What about adding a telescoping steering wheel? In the vehicles I have owned that have this feature, It has been a plus in allowing me to move the seat back far enough to have my legs be comfortable.

12. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    X6?

The driving position in a Prius is really not that comfortable for me. I'm getting used to it though. I am 6' tall and have fairly short legs for my height. Still, with the seat all the way back my legs are bent a bit too much, and the steering wheel is a bit too far away. If I modified the seat to go back further, I would not be able to reach the steering wheel at all.

I think it is fine if they make the Prius a bit larger and improve the mpg. I bit more storage area would be good. However, they should come out with an optimized two seater to better serve the commute market. I think that would serve a lot of families well. Two seater commute car with a bit larger Prius as the family car.

13. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zenMachine @ Nov 6 2007, 01:59 PM) [snapback]535589[/snapback]</div>
    Yep, more & more folks are taller now days ... & they/WE got money too, so pony up a little more leg room please. Plus, if it's bigger, it'll hold more batteries and go 20 miles at 60mph on pure electric ;)

14. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hill @ Nov 7 2007, 08:15 PM) [snapback]536453[/snapback]</div>
    Legroom is plenty. I agree a telescoping steering wheel is what is needed. I'm about 3cm short of 6 feet, and if my legs are comfortable, then my arms are stretched out. I've gotten used to it, but it's different than any other car I've driven.

Hopefully they'll introduce the smaller version of the Prius about the same time as the wagon. And still waiting on the hybrid minivan...

Maybe I'll buy the Prius wagon and an electric-assist bike (or recumbent trike), that combination should cover all my transportation needs. Sell the second car.

What happened to the guy who want was asking to hybrid the Vibe?

15. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KMO @ Nov 6 2007, 08:46 AM) [snapback]535434[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, wagon = estate

As Mark Twain once said, Yanks and Brits are divided by a common language. :D

16. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    x7?
    I'd like the Prius to stay the size it is, and maybe add a mini-van type, and a small pickup. :D

17. priusmaybe

priusmaybe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I don't want it bigger, how about a little nicer? with better gas milage?

Nicer seats and seats that adjust. Steering wheel that adjusts. Better finishes. Much Better Exterior Paint.

A heater that works better, so far I am not impressed and it hasn't even gotten below freezing.

Better rear view. Better stock tires. Better quality stereos.

Build a completely different car for the wagon car and to seat 3 giant adults in rear. I have had one person ride in the back seat so far.

18. johnford

johnford Old Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I don't need bigger. Just give me 2 doors and a rag top. Can't see why a Myata sized Hybrid wouldn't sell. Only need room for the wife and bulldogs..... jf B)

19. Traanya Drinker

Traanya Drinker New Member

The headroom in rear seat needs serious improvement. Telescoping steering wheel would be great. Other than that, very satisfied with the unit.

20. A Prime Factor

A Prime Factor Formerly "I want my PHEV"

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    A little more room in the cargo area would be great. Not a lot, just a couple of inches so I can get my skis in there. The passenger area is just fine. I am not big and I don't carry passengers very often.