1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Customer Experience Center...any results??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by LUNA95, Apr 1, 2013.

1. LUNA95

LUNA95 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am having a major issue with a Toyota Dealer. I contacted Toyota Customer Experience Center Friday. The lady I spoke with was very nice and confirmed what I felt the dealer should be doing to correct the problem. Long story short...dealer did recall work, part broke 2 months later, now dealer is saying that it is because the car has a rebuilt title and I am responsible for paying to correct the problem. TCEC said that the title was not an issue since the dealership performed the recall work the first time. TCEC said the dealership would receive direction that they are liable for damage and must correct the problem and that they had 3 business days to contact us. As of today I haven't heard anything from the dealer, and of course they still have my car. I am wondering if TCEC has any power over the dealership or was just telling me what I wanted to hear. They created a case number and I really hope that everything works out, I am VERY stressed. Thanks for any advice.

2. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have no doubt you are stressed. Since business day's are counted on a Monday through Friday basis, I would think that the dealership still has a little more time. I am not siding with anyone on this. I am simply observing that Monday would be considered one (1) business day from Friday.

I hope you get the issue resolved promptly in a matter whereas everyone is happy. It is unfortunate that your car experienced a break down.

I would say if you haven't heard anything by Wednesday morning, I would call TCEC back and reference the case number when you call.

Good luck to you.

3. mikednpv

mikednpv Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The dealer is required by the Feds to repair your car if it's a Recall. What recall is it? Is it a Safety Recall or an Emissions Recall? Safety recalls are are administered through NHTSA and emission recalls are administered through the EPA.
    The dealer can be in for huge fines if he does on repair the issue.
    Talk to the people at Toyota Care and ask which agency should you contact if the dealer still refuses to help you.
    Don't back down and be tough... but polite.
    Best of luck to you.

4. LUNA95

LUNA95 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The recall was for the steering problem. I took the car to the dealership in January, they replaced the intermediate steering and 3 bolts. During that process they claimed they "broke" something and had to keep the car for 3 days. They provided me with another car during that time. Then Saturday before last the steering went out completely while I was driving the car. Fortunately there was no accident. Had car towed back to dealer the following Monday. Eventually I was told the part they had replaced had failed, needless to say I already figured that one out! By the end of the week they informed me that they were not responsible because the car had a rebuilt title. This was never mentioned when the initially performed the recall work in January. I contacted Toyota Customer Experience Center and after explaining all of the details, I was told the dealer IS liable since they worked on the car in January and that part failed. Was told the dealership had 3 business days to contact me. So far I have not heard a word. Thank you for replying .

5. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As Mike said, when you originally posted, it had only been one day, really. And, since you apparently posted at 4 in the afternoon, not even a full day.

I think the dealer should have contacted you yesterday, but, play by the rules. By my calculations, they have until the end of the business day on Wednesday.

Friday doesn't count, nor does the weekend.

Again, though, a responsive firm would have been talking to you on Monday.

Hope you can get this done and I would then suggest you ... well, you probably can figure that out for yourself.

6. LUNA95

LUNA95 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, I agree about a "responsive" firm should have contacted me yesterday about resolving this problem. It apparently reflects their stance on "customer service". I am going to hold out till tomorrow after I get home from work. I will then give Customer Service one more call, before moving on to an option I had hoped would not occur. One thing is for certain...I am NOT giving up. Thanks again for responding.

7. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey, we are all here to give support -- or so I hope. My answers might be a bit disconnected, since I've been on heavy pain pills all day....(y)

One thing, I might suggest and you probably know this already, but even though you feel like you have been jerked around and ignored (and you have been), you should probably start out slow and mellow. You can always escalate your response, but it tough to run it the other direction.:p

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how did you wind up with a car with a rebuilt title?

9. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not to stress you out anymore, but how "impossible" would it be to have your vehicle taken to a totally different Toyota Dealership?

Because one of my concerns in this situation would be that you're basically asking the same people who have screwed up the repair the first time, to please try again. And they it sounds, are desperately trying to get out of it.

I would think that if the dealership is refusing to do continued recall work on the very parts they installed and they are citing the fact that your Prius has a rebuilt title? Then it would be up to them to prove that the failure is a result of a pre-existing condition that exists as a result of your rebuilt title. Otherwise, you are just an owner that want's their vehicle repaired. You have a right to expect it to be repaired.

If they thought your rebuilt title was an issue, they should of caught that the first time around and refused to do the work the first time.

A rebuilt title itself is not a reason a part or repair should fail. What exactly are they saying is wrong with the vehicle that they believe caused the failure and/or is likely to cause another failure? Because it's NOT the words rebuilt stamped on the title, and if they are saying they can't fix it? They should be telling you EXACTLY why not.

10. LUNA95

LUNA95 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    They claim the steering column collapsed and that made the part fail. Still have not received any call from the dealer. I called them to speak to the service manager, all I got was the voice mail. Left a message for him to please return my call. He did not. Contacted TCEC, was told I had to wait until the end of the business day (which was 30 minutes at that time), then if I did not receive a call from the dealer to contact TCEC tomorrow and they would contact the dealership to see what was happening.

11. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good luck man, I hate bringing my car to Toyota service. Every time I go for so much as an oil change I pray they don't f- things up. Here's the situation as we saw it - even if they totally screw you over and your car, there's still hordes of customers (which means they don't care about you). In your position, I wouldn't be sitting around the phone waiting around for return calls.

12. N.J.PRIUS

N.J.PRIUS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Unfortunately every Toyota dealership does not have the same level of customer service. They are independently owned businesses. I have experienced some very good service at one and not so good service at another. I believe Toyota as a corporation wants to have happy service clients.

Possibly find out who the owner of the dealership is and try contacting this person. Sometimes this will move mountains. Especially if you mention his/her people are not returning your phone calls.

13. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just to play devils advocate, because I like doin it....

When the service center did the initial recall work, did they realize your vehicle had a rebuilt title? Did you tell them? Still should of been their responsibility to find out and know, but I am just wondering.

Is it possible your vehicle was rebuilt incorrectly, and that the steering column collapsing WAS a result of a pre-existing condition?

I still think that the service center "If" they witnessed any outside condition they thought sub-standard or unsafe, should of notified you of that condition before hand. In other words, if they thought something was wrong, they probably should of refused to do the recall work to start with...

Unfortunately the truth is TCEC doesn't repair vehicles, they don't even evaluate vehicles. That is left to Toyota Service Centers and Toyota tech's.

This seems like kind of a mess. With the dealership now in retrospect claiming a pre-existing condition (Re-Built) precludes them repairing your vehicle properly.

Whatever happens hopefully your vehicle gets repaired correctly and is "safe". Like many things on an automobile, steering is one of those things you absolutely can't afford to take a chance with.

14. jandrada

jandrada Junior Member

Unfortunately, it appears TCEC is just lip service. 7 business days ago I called them with a service complaint and they told me the dealer would call with a response in up to 3 business days. Have since called TCEC two other times (after the 3 days were up and no call) and all they do is tell me how sorry they are about this and that the dealer will call me withis 3 business days. I expect to get a new vehicle in the 4th quarter and the dealer and TCEC know it. With the proliferation of hybrid vehicles in the market you would think they would at least attempt to treat a potential new car buyer a bit better...

15. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You're ONE buyer, (which is why we believe) Toyota (and the dealer) likely doesn't give a crap. There are still hordes walking in the front door.