1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Customer Relations is my Hero!

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by ggood, Sep 13, 2013.

1. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Not sure where this post belongs, but I don't think it matters. Although it relates to repairs for my 2007 HyCam, it is really about Toyota backing its cars generally, and could have been about any Toyota model.

Long story short, the ABS unit went out on wife's 2007 HyCam with 70,000 miles. Call around, find out this is actually a fairly common problem. One shop told me they had just replaced the ABS on a Prius with only about 53,000 miles. Initial quote around $3,300 (including 8.25% sales tax), which dealer later dropped to around $3,100.

Called Toyota this week and pleasantly inquired whether there might be any special service bulletins about this, or if they might be willing to help out a bit, especially since my wife was balking at trading in on a new Toyota after having both this and a water pump fail so early on. Kelly at Toyota called back the same day to say she had talked the dealer into doing the work at warranty pricing, so it was now down to $2,900 (including tax). Better yet, Toyota is going to reimburse me for 50% of the parts and labor.

Yeah Toyota! Way to make me a happy customer. Of course, it won't keep me from looking at the new Accord hybrid, but it will certainly make me think twice!

Shout outs also to Fred Haas Toyota (Houston), which has been a good place for service for me over the years, and to Dianne Whitmire at Carson Toyota (CA), who encouraged me to whine to Toyota, when I was talking to her about the RAV4 EV. Now if only Toyota would agree to service the RAV4 EV outside of California....

JMD likes this.
  2. loansum

loansum Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Reading your story makes me feel warm and fuzzy about buying the extended warranty. BTW-What is the failure mode for an ABS unit?

3. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The pistons start sticking and clicking, sometimes seizing. Eventually you get total failure, evidenced by a lots of warning lights. The car was still drivable, since the regular brakes still worked.

4. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II