1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Customer Service Experience

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by tumbleweed, Jan 5, 2012.

1. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks to everyone for your constructive comments, ideas, and support, I appreciate your opinions. I am not going to pursue this any further. I was interested to find out what the other PriusChat members thought and I sure found out, as I knew I would.

I am not going to trade my Prius for a Volt and I have not become a Toyota hater. In fact I think Toyota engineers and builds pretty good cars, it's their customer service that needs an overhaul.

2. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I hear this comment from people regarding every single make (except maybe the exotic and supercars where manufacturers go out of their way).

3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I do commiserate with tumbleweed, but actually? If the warranty is 36000 miles and it's 36001? Then yeah, it should be turned down.

Not so much tumbleweeds case, but I've read numerous threads from numerous posters and people ALWAYS think their case is unique and that somehow even though their vehicle is past warranty they "deserve" some special treatment. And usually? My answer is No you don't....and too bad.

But really? With a mileage or timed based warranty you have to draw a line and then stick to it....If the line is 36,000? Then it's 36,000 not 36001 because I'm a nice guy, or because I've owned Toyotas before...

A big reason I have a slightly different reaction in this specific case is tumbleweed IS a huge supporter of Prius/Toyota and did purchase an extended warranty that for IMO no good reason doesn't cover this piece.

That is unfortunate. But not really unfair....just extremely unfortunate.

4. nwprius

nwprius Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    We should always report any problem to the dealer, get it on record with time and mileage, as soon as it happens. Make certain it is recorded in your vehicle records. You can say you will have it repaired later but get it recorded.

2 people like this.
  5. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Well, aside from his incessant complaints about the Prius being a rattle machine :D , I don't think it's an issue of extended warranty because it's no secret that extended warranty excludes a lot of things and everybody purchasing one should have known this.

6. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

The problem is, in many cases, (maybe NOT this one) but in many cases extended warranties are sold by dealerships with the pitch that they offer total peace of mind for X number of years and miles. That's why some people are willing to pay $1000-$2,000+ for extended warranties.

Then I do think often people are surprised when they discover it isn't total protection or total coverage.

Should everyone be aware of what their extended warranty does and doesn NOT cover? Certainly. But unfortunately I do not believe this is always the case. Infact usually those purchasing the extended warranty are those that don't want to have to worry...that's why they purchase them to start with.

7. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Unfortunately, the same can be said of nearly everything that dealerships try to pitch, including LoJack on luxury cars (where they stand least to benefit as there's not a great used parts market for them and thus not very frequently stolen), worthless rust and paint protection, etc.

8. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    i bought wiper blade refills from parts.com

the right side they sent was 18" when i needed 19"

went to toyota dealership

they only sell the whole blade not the refills!

i'm not spending $42 to $54 for full blades when the refills are $3.14 and $4.66

so it's back to parts.com to get it corrected.

FU toyota!!!

9. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have very few rattles left, thanks to the dedicated "rattle fixers" on PC telling me where to look, and some persistence on my part. Lesson for me is don't buy a car the first year the model comes out. I should have known better, had the same kind of problem with my last Honda but not as bad.

The extended warranty sure didn't work for the engine under cover but it did get me two new gas struts for my hatch back door. It may have been a mistake but not to expensive a mistake. Frankly I hope it isn't needed again, I don't think I'll ever buy another one. :)

10. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I don't think the 2011s rattle any less.

11. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That's to bad, well at least they have a year or so of work by posters like Phoenixgreg to help them get started.

12. dustmonkey

dustmonkey New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    What I have learned is that my extended warranty failed me completely the first time I tried to use it because Toyota decided to label the engine under cover as a body part or a body trim part, which it is not. I also know Toyota's Customer Care people are not at all interested in helping customers, at least not this one.[/QUOTE]

It's the same everywhere. I'm still not finished with Hyundai Corporation. What a bunch of uncaring people. And calling Corporate Consumer Affairs - where you'd think they would listen and care - is even more frustrating than dealing with the service department. I'm suing Hyndai under the lemon law per a piece-of-crap 2011 Sonata Hybrid that doesn't work and in fact is dangerous to drive. Hyundai Corporate told me in very certain terms that they didn't care if the car ran and could care even less that it stalled without warning.
    I love my Toyota dealership now, but soon they'll disappoint; they all do.

13. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Good luck with your new Prius v dustmonkey.

At least the Prius seems to be a good reliable car, despite the rattles and a few other problems like I have had. I don't think you will have any serious mechanical problems as you did with the Hyundai. Glad you posted that though I have been interested in Hyundai's from time to time and I don't know anyone who owns one.

14. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    How true, if I had been fully appraised about what was and was not covered I would not have been quite so unhappy. They do tell you what general areas are not covered, such as body trim and body panels, but I didn't guess the cover under the engine would fit into that category.

15. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Agree with the poster who said dealer should have done a no charge good will replacement. Mine did at 21,000 miles, and I don't have the extended warrantee. Believe it or not, but there are a FEW (too few) Toyota dealers that take excellent care of their customers.

16. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I would have to say as bad as other manufacturers are, anything VW involved is the absolute worse. If you want to know how a criminal is treated, buy a VW.

17. techwreck

techwreck New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Have 2011 Prius III and 2006 Honda Accord. Toyota and Honda are very different companies. The Accord catalytic converter needed replacement @ 80,000 miles (warranty is 75,000). The dealer said to appeal to Honda and they approved warranty replacement with a comment ... "Honda catalytic converters shouldn't fail at 80,000 miles". A Toyota rep would never approve a warranty replacement.

18. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That is unfortunate, but on the other hand you showed up asking for something many thousands of miles past the claimed date...