1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Cuts PCU Cost by 30% for New Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by usbseawolf2000, Dec 5, 2015.

1. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    [​IMG]

Toyota Motor Corp lowered the costs of the key components of the New Prius' hybrid system.

Specifically, the cost of the PCU (power control unit), which is equipped with an inverter, DC-DC converter, etc, was cut by about 30% by reducing the number of components and size.

The previous model of the Prius uses a "1-in-1" power card equipped with one diode and one transistor. This time, Toyota employed a "2-in-1" power card equipped with two diode and two transistor to reduce the number of connected parts. The new Prius comes with seven power cards, and both sides of each card are cooled.

Furthermore, Toyota increased the mounting density on the control board, which functions as the ECU (electronic control unit) of the PCU, and reduced the area of the board by 31%. And the volume of the entire PCU decreased from 12.6L to 8.2L.

Toyota Cuts PCU Cost by 30% for New Prius - Nikkei Technology Online

bwilson4web and iplug like this.
  2. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    They have also reduced dramatically the amount (and length) of high voltage cabling by the new arrangement (on top of the transmission).

#2 giora, Dec 5, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nice. let's hope there isn't a failure/recall like gen III.

4. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    I noticed that GM and Toyota made very similar improvements in this area in their new generations. Both of them:

1. Integrated the power electronics onto the top of the transaxle to eliminate high voltage cables

2. Increased density by mounting the power electronics circuits on both sides of the circuit boards

Overall, the volume of the GM unit was reduced from 13.1 to 10.4L and the weight from 14.6 to 8.3 kg. Inverter switching losses were reportedly reduced by more than 50%.

I'm hoping Toyota will have a set of new SAE papers for next April's World Congress covering the engineering changes for the 4th generation Prius.

Here is GM's SAE 2016 Volt inverter paper from earlier this year:

http://www.delphi.com/docs/default-source/2015-sae-technical-papers/power-dense-and-robust-traction-power-inverter-for-the-second-generation-chevrolet-volt-extended-range-ev.pdf?sfvrsn=2

#4 Jeff N, Dec 5, 2015
    chinna and giora like this.
  5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    And you probably meant to mention moving the traction battery forward reduced their cable length and mass. Also, having the 12V battery in the engine compartment reduces that one too since the major 12V loads (i.e., brake controller) are in the engine bay.

The only thing I don't care for is the new 12V battery that appears to be significantly larger than the earlier Prius. I would rather have a smaller 12V with a solar array to handle parasitic loads. Better still, an 11-cell, 12V NiMH battery. Oh, I could do this. <GRINS>

Wait one! With a DC-DC converter for the 12V system, why is such a large 12V battery needed? It strikes me that power-up should start the DC-DC converter before doing power up of the brake actuator.

Bob Wilson

#5 bwilson4web, Dec 5, 2015
  6. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I expect that one of these generations they will eliminate the separate 12V battery, and power the 12V devices from the HV battery via the 12V (or is that 13.8V?) converter.

bwilson4web likes this.
  7. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, I meant the high voltage (orange) cables...but yes.

Doesn't this mean the HV battery should stay connected at shutdown? Brrr...

#7 giora, Dec 6, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  8. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The current setup powers the computers through a test routine BEFORE the HV battery is allowed to power any part of the car outside the battery case. I doubt any lawyer anywhere will allow that to change. 201v (or even 144v for you c owners) is way more dangerous than 12v.

(for us v owners, the '12v' converter seems to make 14.4v, I got 13.8v on my Gen 2)

bwilson4web likes this.
  9. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They should just add another Ni-mh battery like the one you find on Power Tools, cheap, small and effective.

10. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the larger capacity (and probably more common) 12 V battery is a blessing improvement. See all the threads on battery issues, length of non-use time etc.

11. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

This is where solar cells can handle the parasitic load. Toyota already has experience with car-top solar arrays.
    One reasonable approach would be to put the 12V DC-to-DC converter inside the traction battery case. There would be a challenge dumping the heat under load, 2kW * (100-92)% ~= 125 W but this isn't the only approach. The traction battery could provide a 12V tickle charge, ~30 ma. using the existing 12V power line to the battery controller. Keeping the 12V at optimum charge level means a lighter 12V battery with longer life.

BTW, I'm OK with considering liquid cooling of the battery pack. For the cost of two pipes and wire-ORed the inverter coolant pump, it would keep the traction battery in a 'happy place.' Alternatively, let battery temperature management operate after shutdown (NiMH charging is exothermic.)

GOOD GRIEF! Are we starting the Prius 2021 improvement list before the first 2016 is sold? No, we're just looking at the long history of Prius, 2001-future, to identify what appears to be low-hanging fruit.

Bob Wilson

#11 bwilson4web, Dec 6, 2015
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    toyota must have extensively tested liquid cooling, versus whatever they came up with to make these batteries last so long.

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe the 12 volt battery in engine bay is now a conventional flooded battery? Between that and the (apparent) regular size posts, should bring replacement cost down.

#13 Mendel Leisk, Dec 6, 2015
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed, should be able to shove just about anything in there, but probably won't have to for 8-10 years on average. should handle the dome light issue and etcetera.

15. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Putting the 12V converter inside the HV battery box would allow the high voltage connections to still be turned off.

For the case of lights left on, the 12V output would need some logic to turn it off before the HV battery was completely drained. Then press a reset button to turn the 12V back on, or maybe detect that an external 12V charger has been attached. It's a problem, but there are solutions.

bwilson4web likes this.
  16. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I've seen up to 15v on cars. It varies depending on load.

NiMH self discharges faster than lead-acid. It could lose lose up to 30% of its charge over a month.

17. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Depends on the cells, I have some Sanyo Eneloop that after months in a drawer work just fine.

bwilson4web likes this.
  18. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So 7 dual power cards equals 2 three phase bridges for the MGs and one card for the DC/DC converter. I wonder where the air conditioner's bridge is?