1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota dealership somehow gave me a used battery when I bought a new one. Anyone experience this?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Jagdepanzer, May 22, 2024.

1. Jagdepanzer

Jagdepanzer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bought a new gen 2 prius hybrid battery today. They didn't give it to me in the big nice person box with extra components like they have for others I've seen, they pulled this one out of a similar looking box and put it in my trunk. It looked used from the casing, but I just assumed Toyota reuses casing. Once I opened it (after I tore my whole car apart) I realized that this was certainly not a new battery. Battery acid EVERYWHERE, dust in between the blades and just overall old look.

Pics linked 20240522_123147~2.jpg 20240522_152752.jpg 20240522_155044.jpg 20240522_155907.jpg

I'm not super angry at the dealer or anything, seems like they'll fix it tomorrow. Hope it's not an issue dealing with them. Annoying as I had other plans, but mistakes happen and thankfully I have off of work. I'm curious though, has this ever happened to anyone else??

Shouldn't my battery come with the box and new cables as well? What should I be looking for?

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Okay if you're trying to run a fast one on the dealer it might work but probably not I see you crossed out the dealer's information I expected your own but not the dealers your profile doesn't say where you are in the USA maybe you can clear that up No none of this is normal for a battery to be in stock sitting around at a dealership yeah and what part of the USA I'll ask again not likely they're having trouble keeping these batteries in stock or in the warehouse wherever that might be in anywhere USA let alone in a dealer's parts department usually when these are trucked in from the main warehouse to the dealers parts department they come in a big funky looking box that has something to do with battery and hazmat their stickers all over the box almost looks like a hardigg case from the military. And then yes the battery is going to come with no front end with the computer and all that and it's going to have a couple pieces of orange wire and some pieces of foam and a bill of lading and a new unit which is anything you're going to see is going to have a QR code on top of it look at your battery do you see a QR code on top of your silver case assembly should be staring right at you It is remotely possible that you have been sent somebody's core Don't assume anything You should have doubled and triple check this while you were standing in the dealers parking lot tomorrow when you get back to the dealer is the story's going to be you're trying to pass off your old core and some kind of a scam Believe it I'm not sure how they log in the cores whether they scan the QR code if applicable or the barcode if applicable or write down the number of the battery they're taking in trade and the one that's going out don't have a clue but you're fixing to find out and good luck

3. Jagdepanzer

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, not trying to run a fast one. I can see how it is taken that way though, here's my old battery out of the car. 20240522_153750.jpg

You're right though, I should've preped more and made sure. I just had no idea they could be that incompetent honestly. I also have no idea what the battery should've looked like, should've done research.

The battery wasn't sitting at the dealer, I ordered it yesterday and they put the battery pack in the back of my trunk today. I hope to god they do good auditing, I'm not looking forward to fighting over this. Seems like I got someone else's core like you suggested. The battery top looks like my old core, I don't wanna go outside again lol but this it what it looks like. Pic of my core I provided but they look the same.

Dealer is Gettel *Stadium of Tampa Bay in FL. I marked it out because I don't want anyone reaching out or anything silly.

Attached Files:

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Very odd. They tried selling rebuilt batteries at one time, but they looked a lot better than that.
    It looks like the parts guy didn’t really know what he was doing, and grabbed a core return.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You don’t get much with a new battery, most of it is a swap

6. Jagdepanzer

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, the parts guy honestly seemed very lost. I will be more on them tomorrow and open up the new one.

7. Brian1954

Brian1954 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Good luck getting your $1350 core fee back for your old battery!

8. Jagdepanzer

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I gave them an OEM battery for the core.

Tombukt2 and Brian1954 like this.
  9. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yeah I was hoping you caught on and did that this round cell business they wouldn't accept that and they keep it But anyway yeah that's a good thing I hope you get it sorted out buddy I don't know what the heck they got going on sounds like they gave you somebody's core they didn't even look at what they were doing they just picked it up out the box and said yes Jason take that out to the guy standing at the loading dock and send them on his way that is too funny though I mean I can't wait to see what these people have to say when all this goes downs and Tampa Florida to oh boy yeah they're not known for being real nicer up on their game at all I have a lifelong family member who is a resident of Tampa was a news reporter and all that kind of business in Tampa during the good old days anyway good luck with it man should be pretty straightforward.

10. Jagdepanzer

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You were the one who helped me when I was overly stressing out. Thank you for that tip about looking at junkyards/hybrid places for an OEM core! Saved my booty.

11. fragglestickcar

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It seems you were charged tax on the 1350. Just make sure you get that back too.

12. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
  13. Jagdepanzer

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A