1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota demonstrating wireless charging & self-parking system

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Electric Charge, Feb 20, 2014.

1. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This charging would work in my driveway if I could drive over the bump stop and catch it on the front of the rear tire. Nobody else here can backup no matter what parking gadget you add.

2014 Prius van thing has Advanced Parking Guidance System (APGS) part of the ATP pkg Toyota Prius v Interior, Exterior and Safety Features See option tab.

What I want to know is when we are going to get paint colors that don't resemble middle aged white guys skin, hair, and teeth. Why nice colors only in Japan.

2. Priusmpg

Priusmpg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Exactly. The colors suck
    Balck and red should be available

iPhone ?

3. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Currently Qi wireless charging in small devices (cell phones, tablets) is only 80% efficient. With the tiny charge these devices hold the 20% loss is insignificant. When you think about the much larger charge the PIP takes- any loss becomes an issue. Would like to see the efficiency specs of the Toyota wireless system...

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wireless charging doesn't do it for me. i wouldn't pay 1 cent extra for it, takes me 5 seconds to plug and unplug and i wouldn't want that on my garage floor, it's just a hazard when the car isn't there.

not sure why toyota is struggling with ipa, don't all the other carmakers have it?

5. Priusmpg

Priusmpg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes I think BMW has it I'm not exactly sure. I wouldn't pay extra for it either it's just about the whole portal it Opens up for charging while driving

iPhone ?

6. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the IPA is only viable in a society that clearly marks its individual parking spaces and respects those boundaries by parking in the center of them. Trying to use it on a regular basis anywhere from DC to Boston forget about it.

80% efficient equals 25% more cost. That's 2 cents for my current location which doable but for you NYC and Cali. people probably not. Then there is the question of rate of charge. What amp rate are we talking here? If we are talking 30 minute or less for a PiP sized battery, how would you feel then? I also can't see this being retrofitted into existing parking structures in its current form. Ground level as in the demo would seem to be the most likely because of costs.

Where do you think this might have an application?

7. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe the newest tech is as harmless as a plugged in extension cord.

8. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe nowhere if it's complicated and expensive (and wasteful too).
    Nothing nowadays that consumes electricity is less efficient than an item that did the same job years ago. Look at what we've done with inefficient incandescent lighting- you get the same lumens from a modern 7 watt LED as you did from a 60 watt incandescent bulb. Considering that- there's no way wireless vehicle charging will catch on if it's even minutely less efficient then a direct plug in hardwired system.
    Without particulars it's hard to make accurate predictions though.. we really need the specs on the Toyota wireless system

Most auto makers have their "concept vehicles" and proof of concept ideas- maybe the Toyota wireless charging system is just a proof of concept show piece for the auto shows, etc... and was never intended to go mainstream.

JamesBurke likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm talking about the unit being a tripping hazard in the garage, and building it flush into the concrete would be cost prohibitive.

10. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I mostly agree...but consider charging cell phones via USB vs charging with a wireless pad.

But overall the only good counter example are where in the past you had nothing and today you have many devices...20+ years ago you have a TV, telephone and maybe an answering machine and a PC. Today you have multiple phones, multiple laptops & tablets, game consoles, DVRs, etc.

Mike

11. mindmachine

mindmachine Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    One thing you can be certain of, the infrastructure needed to charge while you drive will be costly to install. If the charging is to be continuous the coils would have to be continuous along under the pavement and probably right in the center under the pavement. Problems with how to charge the user for the electricity used.

I would not expect to see this advance in actual use any time soon, especially given the current state of the economy, most states are having trouble getting the money to fix potholes: let alone spend millions on in road charging systems that will only serve just a relative handful of people.

12. Priusmpg

Priusmpg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Has anyone seen those busses in sanfrancisco that are connected to the power lines above? That on the freeway but instead in the median would be pretty neat.

iPhone ?

13. Priusmpg

Priusmpg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Just a crazy idea

14. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
  15. Priusmpg

Priusmpg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    We are in feb'14, I didn't it wasn't available in my'11, I said anymore which means currently

iPhone ?

16. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S

Sorry, my reply was supposed to be to this statement from a post above yours: "It was available in 2010 and was removed for the MY2011." :)

Priusmpg likes this.
  17. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Currently on the Toyota website under 2014 Prius v (wagon) I can find "Advanced Parking Guidance System (APGS)" as an option on trim level 5 called Advanced Technology Package. I have APGS on my 2012 Prius v (wagon) w/ Adv. Tech Pkg. and I only use it to show off for fun. I often use the colored lines on the backup cam to steer confidently in reverse. I miss the colored lines when I'm reversing in other family members' Prius without the feature.

18. jdk2

jdk2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It's available on the v, just not the regular hatchback or plug-in.

Chazz8 likes this.
  19. Barbara R

Barbara R Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    In addition to the slowness, I'm guessing it didn't work reliably enough and they got tired of hearing complaints. I hope they keep working on it and offer it again in the future.

20. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    There was on the '11 Five with Advanced Tech package. I had one.

*EDIT: Didn't realize this thread was ancient. :)