1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota develops fuel cell hybrid

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by pewd, Jun 6, 2008.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    First: Everyone loves to throw the nordic / geothermal energy line out there as a great example of how practical hydrogen is, even though its a waste. It sounds good ... excess power for an entire population of a country ...

Here's the reality check that they failed to tell you & I. You're talking about a county that has about as many people as San Diego County. So the fact that they have 50% more than they need really says very little.

Second: Million dollar cars / "cost" is the only hurdle?
    What about the fact (as mentioned above) that the multi trillion dollar infrastructure can't be built because the 3 major companies that agreed to build on it did the math and (in so many words) said, no way bro ... because it was one giant Rube Goldberg. OH! and that multi trillion dollar cost is based off cheep fossle fuel ... which is dissapearing at light speed ... so each day it becomes even less & less practical. Then (as darell said above) theres that nasty "wastefullness" issue ... where the same amount of energy you get from stripping hydrogen from natural gas, or from tons of electricity, will get you 3 to 4 times farther down the road by just putting the electric or natural gas energy directly into batteries, rather than converting it back to electricity from hydrogen. Google "hydrogen's 5 miricles" needed to make it practical, and you'll quickly find that it's not.

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    niche by definition means that it does not work for most people or most situation. sorry if my post implied otherwise

3. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

"Toyota develops fuel cell hybrid"

The only problem I see with this is that you have to go "pump fuel." We are alreading doing that with gas! I prefer to just plug-in to my wall and fill up with Clean Domestic Wind and/or Solar Energy. Let's try to reduce the amount of fuel we burn by having to go to the pump.