1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota doesn't care about us

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by subjective, Apr 8, 2012.

1. ImeanGreen

ImeanGreen Prius v Five BP Brigade #236

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Can you just make a photo copy of the loan agreement so we can see it? It will make things easier for us on where to stand when we can read the fine print. We need to disregard what is being stated verbally versus what is in the loan agreement. Just getting straight to the point when we see the loan agreement instead of you telling us what the dealership staff told you.

2. subjective

subjective Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    With due respect, It was not a Toyota loan contract, but the loan contract required was with Southeast Toyota Distributors Finance. This is all I have to say. Some will understand and some will not and perhaps some have another agenda. I don't think this is right any more than to be required to take Toyoguard is right. Unless we do something about these sales practices no one will including Toyota.

3. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You're not going to do anything about it and neither is Toyota. Try to understand that.

What they are doing is not illegal. Toyota can't control it. PERIOD. Do your due diligence and make a decision for God's sake. If one deal has less out-money than another deal and you're paying cash ... TAKE IT !! Who the hell cares how they get to the end number ?

I can't believe we're STILL talking about this.

Buyer beware.

REV

4. ImeanGreen

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Where do you have to send your payment?
    You have the right to refuse and walk away. I think inexperience is playing a role in your purchasing decision. Unfortunately these practices are all over the place regardless of which dealership you go to and they will prey on those inexperienced buyer.

5. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I found this advert from a dealer in Fl. Sounds like what OP considered
    OP: If I am not mistaken, the large majority of responders to your thread would not have maligned Toyota's name or tried to leverage Toyota against the dealer. That should tell you something; and no, it is not because they are Toyota lackeys.

Read Qbee's posts again. None of us like small print, or hidden answers. Find me a salesman who does not operate this way, and I'll show you really high profit margins and an exclusive clientele. Lexus is a good example. You have no choice but to read the small print and ask the questions the salesperson prefers not to hear.

I also would like to see the SETF loan terms if you have them. You can help educate other prospective customers what to look out for, and all of us can improve our game.

6. subjective

subjective Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    As I have stated a number of times, I did not finance, I paid cash. So I do not have a SE finance agreement. It does not sit right with me and I imagine it doesn't with most people to have to pay a fee when you pay cash. The sales contract has the fee added to the 20% off price, but does not show the "pay cash fee". So I can advise all members contemplating the purchase of a new Prius, or any Toyota for that matter to beware a dealer ad stating 20% off or a money amount off coupon towards a new vehicle purchase. My observations pertain only to the SE US. This SE US region is also where the unpopular Toyoguard is preinstalled and sold on almost all Toyota vehicles except for Scion. I believe that Toyota has a say in the preinstalling of toyoguard in Scions by the distributor.

7. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My observation is there's a good bit of naivete involved in many comments in this thread.

First, the 20% discount is probably more than twice the dealer profit on a Toyota at MSRP, so to me it's a bit naive to say that it doesn't "sit right" with you, when their ad clearly stated (by your own description) financing was required to get that deal. Say the MSRP is $25K, 20% is a $5K discount, so even with the $2K fee, it's still a $3K discount, which doesn't seem like anything immoral to me. ;)

And, second, Toyota has precious little control over dealers (by law).

8. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    +1 :confused: :D

9. ImeanGreen

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How do you know that the $2000 was the fee for paying cash if it does not show it on paper? Why will you not show a photo copy of the sales agreement if you paid cash? Are you not suppose to pay taxes, registration and other fees? That can go up to $2000 easy. I'm VERY CONFUSED. How much was the price of the vehicle before taxes and after taxes, registration and other fees?

10. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Then you do not know specific terms of early payback.

I'd love to know the end numbers for someone who agrees to financing and then pays off the loan shortly afterward.

11. toyolover

toyolover Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    It's all a game of numbers on the contract. The most important is the last number on the paper - that is your pay out number to own the car. Dealer sales are specially trained in placing numbers in different lines and columns. I've financed, leased and purchased multiple vehicles and the number I care only is my total pay out. If you think the total pay out amount is acceptable to you, sign your name on the paper and enjoy your car. It's not just Toyota. Every manufacturer or dealer play this number game.
    Consumer psychology tells us there is always buyers' remorse no matter how much you paid.
    So live with it and be happy.

12. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If one doesn't like the deal on a car from SET then dealers in MS, TN & VA should be contacted. If you really don't want the extra crap on the car then find one that doesn't have it but don't expect it to drop in your lap.

When one is not satisfied with the dealer then express that on the customer satisfaction survey.

The fact is Toyota sells cars to SET that they order. SET chooses to add stuff & pass fees down to their dealers who pass them on to the buyers.

Lending institutions can set their own rates. One firm that advertises on TV offers a 100% rate. Think a rate is too high? Apply elsewhere.

This thread lacks hard credible evidence. Without a copy of the ad & the sales contract this isn't going to be a sympathetic jury.

13. toyotechwv

toyotechwv Toyota Technician

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just FYI, Southeast Toyota Region is not owned by Toyota. That's why you see so many different options/packages on SET vehicles, such as an X-SP Tundra. It doesn't really follow quite the same rules as a region owned and run by TMC such as Central Atlantic Region. So dealer practices in SET are a bit different.

14. 2thdoc

2thdoc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I too, recently attempted to buy a new Prius in Florida in the greater Tampa area. I live here but summer in Maine. I used the internet and asked for out the door price on a P4 but I was told by the dealers here in Fl that they did not have any 2012s in stock. I called my last salesman for my 2008 Prius and he ordered one from incoming dealer stock. The price he quoted was sticker plus toyoguard, SE Marketing fee, delivery and $699 dealer fee. Just for the sake of comparison, I ask for an out the door price from a dealer in Saco, Me. for a 2012 P4 and was given a price that was hard to believe. No SE Marketing fee or Toyoguard and a lower delivery fee to dealer. The only markup was the $299 dealer fee. I finalized the deal in under an hour and the car was delivered to my daughter's house one week later. So shop around people, there are dealers willing to sell at reasonable prices!

15. d2mini

d2mini Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Exactly. ^^^

I relayed the story in my other thread about how i purchased from dianne in california and the TWO Prii are currently on their way to me in Houston. A better experience and much better pricing than buying locally. It's 2012 people... if your local dealer wants to be a sleazeball, that's their loss, not yours.