1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Doesn't Honor Battery Warranty

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Allan, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Allan

Allan New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Allan responds re: Toyota Doesn't Honor Battery Warranty

Hi Everyone,

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to consider this problem and give me so much good advice about how to proceed on legal, problem solving, political and community relations grounds. I'm responding in just one note as there were overlapping ideas expressed.

Xpcman, I agree with your view of Downtown Toyota, and hope that you and others who see this have called Owner/Manager Ralph Fatori (510-547-4436) and a salesperson (when Ralph doesn't answer) to let them know their reputation continues to sink daily. Can you join me at a press conference next week?

Yes (Pat and Sagebrush), I have a 2001 Prius and the original warranty is 8yrs/100,000mi. However, note in my letter that the Extended Limited Warranty assures that any item that was not repaired, or not repaired adequately while under warranty, must have the warranty extended beyond the general warranty.

JH, Rich, Grumpy and Hampden: First the Dealership did the recall "seal" of the battery they said were often found to have dangerous and debilitating leakage (no replacement, only a seal). The Dealership didn't ever diagnose my specific battery problem until the end, despite repeated presentation of the problem before and after 100,000 miles. Originally, the dealership was the good cop (along with the National Toyota Service Center) complaining about Regional Manager Duffy Lau, who refused to authorize the battery replacement. Later, the Downtown Toyota dealership threatened to sell my car to pay for the $3000 battery replacement, plus $2200 in "storage fees" after they kept my car for 6 weeks while the battle was unfolding over who should pay. I then paid by credit card, disputed the payment, and the resultant investigation ruled in my favor (that Toyota should cover the costs).

Sub3 and others: thanks for the tips on small claims court preparation!
    Hopefully, I'll not have to lose another day of work to do the court case, and Downtown Toyota will back off from all the heat they're taking...thanks for your help.

Allan
    PS I wanted to add that I still love my Gen 1 and our Gen 2 (bought at Downtown too) has been perfect for tens of thousands of miles.

1 person likes this.
  2. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I take this to mean that the dealership is suing OP, and not the other way around like I had originally thought.

Now that we know the problem is Toyota left hand vs right hand, it seems clear that going over Mr. Lau's head is the correct approach. Among first things to do, subpoena from the dealership its correspondence with Mr. Lau which presumably shows the dealership arguing that this is a warranty repair.

3. classic prius

classic prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I hope things worked out for Allan – any updates?