1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Estima Hybrid import

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by Stormz, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Stormz

Stormz Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,

Currently a 2008 Prius owner (since 2011 it seems). Love that car!

So, we're thinking about importing a Hybrid Estima (aka Tarago in Australia (non-hybrid), Previa in USA (non-hybrid).

Atm we can only import Estima hybrids with the same hybrid battery tech as in first Prius (1997 - 2003??). These Estima's are from 2001 - 2005. The 2006 onwards Estima's have the same hybrid battery as my 2008 Prius, but we can't get them in Oz yet (hopefully next year??).

- How reliable are the 1st Gen Prius Hybrid batteries?
    - Is there anywhere in Perth Australia who can refurbish or replace them if they should start to fail?

Just don't want to import one and have it fail... defeats the whole purpose of having it. Hopefully it would be like our current Prius and last forever.

Here's where we would be importing through, and the rough costs of the Estima's (about $14k AUD for a decent 2004 model):
    J-Spec Imports

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The gen1 Prius used two different batteries. The original domestic model used off the shelf cylinderical cells like Honda's hybrids. The 2001MY and up models for export used the improved prismatic cells that are in all Toyota hybrids now. The Estima likely uses the improved pack, and this site seems to confirm it, The Battery Clinic – Estima Hybrid – Battery Repair and Reconditioning , with the 1st and 2nd gens using the same battery.

They also might be able to help you find someone nearby for repairs.

3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My friend has had a Gen1 since new, she's never had a prob. A couple years ago, Consumer Reports surveyed Prius owners for batt replacements, this was the reported data. My interpretation would be, adjusting for battery age, I see no major difference between Gen1 and Gen2. We've had many Prius Chat users reports 2004-2007 batts fail in the last couple years, so I gotta think if repeated the survey the Gen2's would look similar fail rate as Gen1. Meanwhile, not bad.

[​IMG]

4. Stormz

Stormz Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Trollbait,

Thanks for the reply. I tried Battery Clinic and they don't know of anyone in Australia unfortunately, and didn't reply to my query on cost of power jockey as they are developing a better one right now.

The Estima uses Gen 2 hybrid battery tech (NHW10, whereas Gen 3 is in the NHW20 Prii like ours).

The 2006 onwards Estima Hybrids use the NHW20 batteries.

Were/are the Gen 2 (NHW10) Prii batteries reliable? Are there many still going strong now?

Thanks Tracy, interesting stats (North America only?). Also interesting that the same tech (2004 - 2009) had big differences in % failures (e.g. 1% for 2007 but 0.5% for 2008). No difference in the car, so would be interesting to see how they were driven, what climate they were in etc. as I hear extreme cold and heat kill the cells off (for instance in Singapore it's very hot and humid most of the year and the Estima's batteries don't seem to last that long.... but that could also be just a small % of their imports). The Estima Hybrid is only officially sold in Japan and Hong Kong.

An importer of the Estima's told me that they used to install the power jockey's, but that they hadn't seen any real difference.... some still failed with it, and some failed without it, and of course others are still going strong (with and without). He seemed to think the higher mileage Estima's (over 100,000 km) were actually more reliable than the lower mileage one's (around 50,000 km for instance for a 2002 model).

Based on that he thinks that the one's which were weren't driven as much (possibly had days/weeks with no action) were the ones with damaged battery cells. Interesting theory. Must be something to do with being discharged too much when idle.

#4 Stormz, Nov 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2016
  5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    USA only. I was curious to know if 2006 was a bad year, but we just do not have the data. Toyota must have a great data base showing failure rates, maybe someday they will share it.

In the event of batt failure, we recommend replacement with new Toyota batt as the refurbs are not reliable. Here the new Toyota batt is on the order $2500 (not including install) but Toyota sometimes assists in cost so its not much more than a refurb and it lasts longer.

6. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That makes sense. NiMH can have a high self discharge rate.

7. familylent

familylent New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    just bought a 2008 Estima in Ireland (Japanese import). Fuel consumption seems very high (5-7km/l) and it seems this may be caused by a weak battery. (I have no idea how to check if battery is weak or not. I was told by Toyota they cannot do a diagnostic test here on imported cars.)

Options in Ireland are very limited but in UK there are a few places which recondition the HV battery, and offer 6 months to 1 year warranty on that. They charge £600-£800.

One place told me they can replace the pack with a new one for a Prius, as they share the same pack. It just needs refitting. Cost would be £2300.

Another place said they could refit my Estima battery pack with brand new cells and would charge about £1000.

Both said this would be like buying a brand new pack and should give 8-10 years of use.

Can anyone advise what is best option. And do I wait until battery fails before replacing? Any other way to fix fuel consumption?

many thx.

8. Stormz

Stormz Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    First, I think your mileage is fine. Estimas are much bigger cars than a Prius so you wouldn't expect to get 4.5l/100km.

If you are getting about 7.5l/100km then your car is fine. Your battery is super reliable as it is the same as the Prius NNHW20, which they used in estimas from late 2005 onwards. The earlier estima has the earlier battery tech which wasn't very reliable.

If you really did want to do something with your battery, talk to these guys first. Honest and knowledgeable... Prolong Battery Systems. Extending the life of your hybrid. – Hybrid Automotive .

I'm not convinced your battery is an issue to be honest, even if you ever do chew through more fuel than you think. There could be many factors.... Using cheaper fuel, driving style, terrain, load etc. And Toyota are being dicks.... They can easily check the system. Take it to another garage which has the right odb2 kit, or just buy one yourself off alibaba or eBay

BTw as I couldn't trust the earlier eestima battery, we bought a Nissan elgrand E51, which is 14l/100km. Will get an estima like yours when they are able to be imported into Australia.

Read properly and I don't know what 5l per km is in the normal l per 100km, but yeah sounds high. Again, may not be the battery.

Are there any dash errors/icons? Like the engine with ! On top? Are there any loud gurgling sounds from the fuel pump area when you start up?

#8 Stormz, Mar 1, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2016
  9. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I hope that it is an error. 5km/L is only 0.5mpg

10. familylent

familylent New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi. Thanks ppl for responses! Will buy an OBD 2 reader asap.

Glad to hear battery is reliable, asked many people, very few actually know what they are talking about!

Dash computer is telling me 5 to 7 km per litre. Toyota official stats say it should be 20 per litre, and anecdotally ppl are getting 12-15 per litre, so it seems very low. Taking it to mechanic tomorrow to check spark plugs, MAF & Oxygen sensors, whatever they are.

There are no dash errors, or odd noises, drives beautifully.

Re the prius battery, one guy replied to me that the Estima has 30 cells and the Prius only 28.

Anyway, really appreciate your reply. Will see mechanic tomorrow and get OBD kit next week.

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah that's not normal. I didn't think a 4 cylinder engine could use that much fuel. (The consumption is similar to what a V8 Land Cruiser would get in the city/urban cycle). I hope you can find someone that can replace the battery for you responsibly and at a good price.

familylent likes this.
  12. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Can you calculate the fuel consumption from a tank fill? I wouldn't discount the dash readout being completely wrong at this point. At the rate you are reporting, the tank gauge would be noticably dropping during a trip.

PS: is it possible that the display of this Japanese market car is actually in L/100km?

13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Japan doesn't use L/100km.

14. familylent

familylent New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thx guys. Was at mechanic today, all readings are fine, as are plugs, filters etc. He basically said that is what I should expect from a hybrid. 7-9km/litre around town and 11-13 km/litre highway/motorway. I took it for a long run and it did get 11.3 km/l, and then dropped down to 8/9 in town even after I reset the counter. It is a 65 litre tank. He also found a website where ppl log their fuel consumption and showed me that estimas/hybrids were getting poor consumption. It ranges from 3km/l to 20, but mostly around 10km/l average.

I filled it full and zeroed the odometer so will have a proper reading soon from a full tank. and hope that the dash computer is not so accurate!

Quite disappointed, but at least in Ireland the road tax on hybrids is really cheap compared to other family vans/suv's.

15. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Help me get this straight in my head. Here's how I know the Prius family
    NHW10 - 1997-2000 Stick batteries
    NHW11 - 2001-2003 Flat modules similar to Gen II and III
    NHW20 - 2004-2009 Improved flat modules
    ZVW30 - 2010-2015 slightly improved again

Are you saying these Estima's use the stick type batteries?

16. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Still sounds low, but it seems the van wasn't rated very high. "Both share the same platform and are powered by an all-wheel-drive Hybrid Synergy Drive system that on the generous Japanese test cycle nets as high as 44 mpg." - Toyota’s Fuel-Sipping Estima And Alphard Hybrid Minivans – Off Limits For US

That's only 18.7L/km, and if the quoted figure is for the older10-15 Japanese test, it will be very optimistic. It might get 30mpg on the EPA. The HSD on this van is at least a generation behind what is on the Prius.

Try driving for efficiency, and maybe bumping up the tire pressure.
    There are two generations of Estima hybrids. The first gen that came out in 2001, might be using the sticks, if there were supply issues in regards to the prismatic cells. Since it sounds like the first gen Camry hybrid system, I'd say it is prismatic. I see no reason for the gen2 minivan to not be the better prismatic cells.

The Estima hybrid is AWD, so it might have a larger pack if you can find the specs and went and compared it to the Camry hybrid.

donbright and familylent like this.
  17. familylent

familylent New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I believe in 2006 they changed to the NHW20 pack, or at least uses the same modules. I spent quite some time trying to find out and it is quite confusing!

It could be the dash computer is not great, as I have tried resetting and driving in Sports mode, and then in Drive and consumption seems the same if not better in sports mode, which doesn't make sense at all. I guess I will give it a few weeks and see how it goes.

thx all.

18. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Being Japan only makes finding the correct info a little difficult.
    I'd hope for the dash computer to be broken, seeing how Toyota's tended to be optimistic.;)

For the most part, the different modes just change the accelerator response. So I see two explanations as to why you saw better fuel economy in sport mode. First is that the accelerator feel is closer to your previous car. making you already trained in how much foot pressure to give to efficiently get what you want out of a car. I believe much of the break in people say a hybrid, or any car, needs before getting its best fuel economy is in the driver just learning the ins and outs of their new car.

Second, taking too long to accelerate can return worse fuel economy than getting up to your target speed at a quicker pace. The CVT quality of the HSD should lessen any losses seen with more traditional transmissions, but the ICE could still be running at a lower, less efficient rpm; outside its 'sweet stop' as it were.

How long our your trips? All cars need to reach operating temperature before returning their best efficiency. Short trips yield worse fuel economy because of this. Such penalties can be greater with a hybrid than a standard car.

familylent likes this.
  19. familylent

familylent New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting. Yes, def mainly short trips, and yes when in S mode it is definitely more responsive, as I would be used to in previous cars.
    I spent ages trying to get info. Seems this forum is the best place of all :)

I also found a place in NZ which sells translated manuals for these cars, and have ordered the Estima one, so at least I will know what the dials on the dash say, amongst other things!

20. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    familylent likes this.