1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Explains, Demonstrates Noisemaker coming standard in all 2012 Prius models

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Sep 22, 2011.

1. civicdriver06

civicdriver06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Did you mention that in the Japanese Prius there is indeed an off switch ?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And did you explain that you are upset despite the fact they they are required by federal law to equip the vehicle this way?

And, honestly, as much as I disagree with there having to be a sound, the way they're implementing it here is about as reasonable as anyone can expect. It's not a loud obnoxious sound, it's distinct, just loud enough to get attention without turning every head on the block.

3. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    See the red highlight in my post above.

4. Eoin

Eoin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Great!. This will increase the value of all previous Priuses.

5. dkelly

dkelly Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    What I don't understand is what empirical data the need for this safety "feature" are based on. Admittedly, I haven't done my homework but I find that on most modern cars, the tire noise dwarfs engine noise at low speeds.
    Safety regulation typically comes from regulatory agencies, not Capitol hill. To some degree, regulations are based on statistical evidence; congress isn't hindered by this requirement. The fact the proposed legislation only targets hybrids and electric vehicles implies this is a political issue; not a safety issue.

6. civicdriver06

civicdriver06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

Well does that mean that a Mercedes S-Class f.e. has to be equipped with an additional artificial noise too ?
    It is just as silent as a Prius at slow speeds !

7. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bingo!

8. Maverick Hiker

Maverick Hiker New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    OK I shouldn't really blame Toyota I suppose. They are complying with the law.

according to this article from January 2011 the implementation of this was not expected so quickly.

New law mandates more noise from hybrid and electric cars - @TBD On Foot | TBD.com

"Despite the new law, it could be a while before the cars actually get louder. NHTSA has 18 months to start the regulatory process and another 18 months to get through it; then there’s an implementation period for auto manufacturers that could be three years. So all told, it might be five years or more before the changes actually trickle down to the car lots."

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We've had a few occasions, rolling at low speed in stealth mode, a noise generator would have helped. I think it's a well intentioned idea, and a commendable stance for Toyota to take.

10. Eoin

Eoin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What's next - strobe lights to warn the deaf?

1 person likes this.
  11. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    While I appreciate legislators and manufacturers being proactive, especially with respect to safety, I don't believe 'beeper laws' are motivated by safety. Does it apply to all vehicles based on noise levels? No, just hybrids, which aren't necessarily quieter. I see this as more political BS. Chalk up another one for selfish non-hybrid car makers.

2 people like this.
  12. garglo

garglo Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I wouldn't mind it at all, as long as it can be turned off. Even if only for a very short time before it resumes automatically.

13. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I agree completely. The time to voice opinions was before the law was passed. Unfortunately, most Americans were unaware of this at the time. Most won't find out until - like us - it gets implemented on our cars.

In the end, I think it came down to the threat that if a law maker doesn't support this bill, they will be viewed at the next election cycle as someone who hates blind people and therefore all disabled people.

14. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

i am sure there will be an wire to cut :)

15. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    How about a force field so we can gently bump them out of the way?

16. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The deaf lobby probably couldn't care less, as deaf individuals can get in the car and drive like the rest of us if they want to get somewhere.

17. Maverick Hiker

Maverick Hiker New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I received a return E mail from Toyota regarding my concerns about the noisemaker. Essentially they told me that information on the 2012 Prius will be available closer to the launch date and they gave me a couple of links to that info but no new info on them yet when I checked. They also said that they use consumer responses like mine to measure customer reaction and that helps them make their decisions about their cars.

Now I am wondering if there may perhaps be a phase in period, and the Prius noisemaker may have an off switch for a couple of years at least until consumers get used to it. Also I think in time they may refine the noise it makes. (If there must be a noise I would prefer it sound like a regular car's engine)

According to the below link from a January 2011 article about the new law, there was expected to be a long period before these cars with mandatory noisemakers showed up on dealers lots. That would give time for an on-off switch for the noisemaker and a phase in period.

New law mandates more noise from hybrid and electric cars - @TBD On Foot | TBD.com

.....then there’s an implementation period for auto manufacturers that could be three years. So all told, it might be five years or more before the changes actually trickle down to the car lots."

18. guido

guido Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I would suggest that anyone wanting to modify this system think about it twice before they do.

If you accidentally hit a pedestrian and it was discovered that you had consciously disabled a federally-mandated safety system designed to protect those pedestrians, I suspect the jury deliberations will be swift and predictable.

19. Dusty Chips

Dusty Chips New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, I was thinking Jetsons as well.

I would not own a vehicle that made that sound. And you just know that dus to liability concerns, dealers will not disable it. George Jetson drives a Prius?

20. dustoff003

dustoff003 Blizzard Brigade #003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five

You could say that the system was operational and that the impact of the pedestrian damaged or rendered the system inoperative.:evil: