1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Extra Care Platinum or Gold

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by cossie1600, Dec 31, 2010.

1. GoldPianoGarden

GoldPianoGarden Bling Meister

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've about decided to make my life's motto: "If I buy it, it will break!" because everything I buy seems destined to fall apart or break, even though I'm one of the most ocd, overcautious, protective person regarding the things I buy. I just have always had that kind of luck. So, I've ALWAYS bought extended warranties on everything...and I've used every single one of them and been compensated time and time again for the warranty costs that I paid. So, if an extended warranty is available on anything I buy, then I get it, because I WILL get my money out of it.....assuredly! So, I'm all for getting the extended warranty! I think people that never need one are just super lucky, cause I've used every single one I ever got!

2. krazypriuslady

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    :eek:

I think DIY'ERS also tweak and maintain their cars more than the general population, so in turn they can prevent some things. But everyone doesn't know how or have the location to do it. Anyway I fell for the
    ECUs and gizmos in the car that would be expensive to repair, so I got it.

Although a standard engine may last 200k miles, I don't know if I can expect that from the many computers on board.

3. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Give us your stats.

How much did you spend on the warranty?
    How old is the car?
    How many miles are on the car?
    How many times has the car been covered my the extened warranty?
    How much have you saved?

Here are my stats

How much did you spend on the warranty? $0.00
    How old is the car? 2010 (purchased Oct 2009)
    How many miles are on the car? 82,000
    How many times has the car been covered my the extened warranty? 0 (Nothing has broke on the car yet, zero repairs)
    How much have you saved? A lot because I did not waste my money on a extended warranty.

4. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    On my last Toyota I got 305,000 miles. Nothing broke until I hit 170,000 miles. I had less than $1,000 in repairs over the life of that car.

The computers on board will last over 100 years. There are no moving parts. Just a sea of transistors. Many years ago microcontrollers in cars failed a lot because of the harsh environment. About 15 years go many microcontroller vendors introduced automotive grade devices that can handle surges and brown outs and shorts.

[​IMG]

5. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Some people feel more comfortable with the extended warranties -- that is worth something. If you always go back to the dealer for service -- some say it eliminates the "you need this syndrome" than some dealers insist on making customers go through.

I originally purchased one from Toyota - then canceled it once I understood that it did not cover the parts of the hybrid system that I was most concern about. In addition -- many of the parts I was most concerned about actually had warranties long enough for me.

Most people don't make out financially with the coverage - that is not to say that they will not use it. If you are going to keep the car for a long time the 7 year 125k looks to be the best bang for the buck. Those that trade in every few years are obviously not going to make out at all.

6. krazypriuslady

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Judgeless, I guess I'm SOL. :( :)
    I paid $1215 for 8 yr/100k. My traded my last car at 10 yr/76k. Yeah I could have picked up another $1000+? selling it privately, but didn't. So I don't drive a lot, but maybe I'll do more driving in this car. We're retiring/moving in maybe 7- ish years so I figure that's when we get the next car.
    And negative net worth wasn't a factor :) I guess I fell for the hype and fear.

7. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There are so many myths about extended warranties. Your post is another example of one.

The ‘you need this syndrome’ are all things that are not covered by the extended warranty. It does not cover things like.

Transmission flush
    Radiator flush
    Clean out carbon build up on the intake
    Full car inspection
    Tire rotation
    Oil Change
    Brake adjustment and alignment
    Front or rear end alignment
    Fuel additive
    Nitrogen in tires

Dealers are scum bags. They will sell you an extended warranty and extended maintenance contract for a profit. They sell them on piece of mind. When you bring your car in you realize that there is a huge list of parts that not covered. You are told that extended warranties do not cover items do to user damage (aka hitting a pothole). No one ever makes out using an extended warranty.

8. plam0ne

plam0ne Ninja

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
  9. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That is the risk. It is like playing the lottery. With the both the odds are against you.

10. plam0ne

plam0ne Ninja

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    i know that, im paying for the peace of mind not the odds though.

11. Much More Better

Much More Better Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The point is, you should not have to feel insecure w/o extended warranties. Dealers are preying on people's insecurities. Toyotas and the Prius in particular, are known for its reliability. Not only are the chances of something catastrophic happening remote, Judgeless has already mentioned the things they don't cover. I was stupid when I bought ext warr with my last car. Out of a $500 bill to fix suspension stuff, they only covered half. That was the only repair bill. I never came close to recouping my $1600. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

I'm not carrying any life insurance. I don't buy extended warranties on electronics. I didn't buy ext. ward on my Prius. I don't buy insurance when I rent cars. I sleep very well at night.

12. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Judgeless: I understand the extended warranty does not cover regular maintenance -- They never do.

What is a bit surprising about the Toyota coverage: Many of the components that you want covered on the hybrid are excluded.

So..... the forum is doing a service to those thinking about getting the coverage to point out the deficiencies inherent in the coverage regarding the Prius.

I don't purchase extended warranties -- but I have purchased many CPO cars that have warrantees that extend out past the new car warranty and I can tell you that I have had many expenses covered in the 80-100k range ......and that includes many lexus vehicles with the same Toyota parts.

Some people are more concerned with the large out of pocket expense and would rather have the extended coverage factored into the price. The point of the forum should be to educated ... not berate ... and explain the relative points.

Much more Better - A bit different then life insurance or rental cars .

Fangfang likes this.
  13. plam0ne

plam0ne Ninja

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    good for you :) i saw what judgeless posted why would they cover regular maintenance stuff?, again 7 years/100k for 1k is cheap in my Opinion.

14. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Like a thousand dollars ?

15. eric1234

eric1234 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    As I continue to see this thread move to the top, I'm not sure what is more entertaining: That new people continue to "ask the question" - which has been answered in detail ad nauseum over the prior 28 pages, or that the Blow-Hard Judgeless continues to answer with the same self-righteous perspective... The horse is dead. All information necessary for anyone to arrive at an informed decision exists. Why does the mindless drivel continue? (Of course, I do realize that I'm now guilty of exactly what I'm complaining about...)

16. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Most people see the title of this thread and will read what they wanted to hear without arriving at an informed decision.

17. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The horse is far from dead. Read this post on page 29.
    This person thought the extended warranty covered items the dealer tries to sell you when you take your car in for service. AKA "you need this syndrome"

Dealers sell on lies. I am sure yeldogt was told this by the dealer. When I bought my car the dealer told me if the battery would fail and after 3 years or 36,000 miles I would be responsible unless I bought an extended warranty. He was telling lies. I think this is a great thread that makes many of the new Prius owners aware of the scam called an extended warranty.

18. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    No Judgeless -- I did not think that those things were covered. I have always known that regular maintenance or the dubious "extra" services that some dealer push are not covered. However .....I was surprised to see that many components of the hybrid system are not covered under the Toyota Factory extended warranty.

My point with the warranties: If you are going to buy one you should understand what you are purchasing and what warranties you may already have on the car.

Sagebrush -- some people would be fine adding 25 dollars onto a five year 0% loan in order to get the coverage for 7-8 years and 125k. I understand you could be saving that money all along. Some of this is irrational -- Most people in 7 years and 125k will use the service ..... Most will not get the money out of it. But I know people who will not keep a car that long without some type of coverage - and trading in a good car at 75k will cost more than the coverage.

Now on a german car -- things are different

19. eric1234

eric1234 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  20. eseymour72

eseymour72 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thanks for his information!

My father in law and myself are both signing up with Jerry next week; definitely the best price.

I'm a student and feel this is a very good value and I like being over insured because I don't want a huge repair bill that I cannot afford. I drive up and down the Sierra's and rev the snot out of my car so I fear long term reliability on my inverter as it gets super hot - I can smell it too!