1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Toyota false-advertised 5 minute refuel for Mirai

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Troy Heagy, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Toyota, Mercedes, and Hyundai claimed 1 minute of refuel time for each kilogram of hydrogen pumped into the FCV's tanks. So a 5 kilogram tank requires 5 minutes. In reality real-world drivers say it takes 4 minutes per kilogram.

That means the Mirai's real-world refuel time is closer to 20 minutes (same as a Tesla EV at a supercharger). The government needs better regulations to govern carmakers claims. Allowing them to lowball refuel time is unacceptable.

2. Bill the Engineer

Bill the Engineer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Anyone who is familiar with fueling vehicles with compressed gasses knows that trying to send the fuel through the hose too quickly can result in a frozen solid hose. It is the thermodynamics of the fluid flow. Physics is physics.

Bill the Engineer
    (Engineer at a company that makes CNG powered Transit Buses.)

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    exactly. government intrusion not necessary.

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    That makes sense if high-pressure from a storage tank is being used to transfer to the vehicle tank. But I'm wondering if a 'rock crusher' (i.e., compressor) could be used to pump lower pressure gas into the tank and avoid or minimize the gas-expansion cooling?

For example, if the end target is 10,000 psi, could a 2:1 compressor, high volume, low pressure ratio, pump 5,000 psi storage gas into the vehicle tank with enough heat to counter act any initial cooling?

Although the inventory of storage tanks goes up, having a set of 1,000 psi, 2,000 psi, 5,000 psi tanks that switch into the compressor pump might be enough:
    1. Pump 1,000 psi up to 2,000 psi
    2. Pump 2,000 psi up to 5,000 psi
    3. Pump 5,000 psi up to 10,000 psi
    NASA rockets have used stages for a long, long time.

Bob Wilson

#4 bwilson4web, Sep 27, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I think hydrogen heats up as it expands.

Jeff N likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Isn't it the opposite, gasses cool as they expand?

Oh heck, I don't know.

#6 Mendel Leisk, Sep 27, 2015
  7. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The fastest fueling is liquid poured in. Its not a technical its a cost problem. To get liquid you need more expensive equipment and electricity. Your method is slower not faster. Using liquid hydrogen, or 14,000 psi hydrogen that has been pre-chilled will warm up less when fueling.

If you build a $5M station instead of a $2M station you can easily fill in 5 minutes;) Many of the existing stations in california are being upgraded for faster fills.

Still if you need to drive 5 minutes out of your way for hydrogen, and you are the second car, we have 5 + 5 + 5 or 15 minutes, not much better than a tesla supercharger.

8. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    So the current stations cost $2 million for a 20 minute fill time. How much does a Tesla supercharger cost? A mere half-million (0.2 million for stations without solar). Yet another datapoint of how EV is the better option.

I've often wondered why CNG is only ~3000 psi? If the tank had the same pressure as hydrogen, then a Civic Natural Gas could triple its range to almost 600 miles. At only $2/gallon it would sell in high quantities.

The station at the University of California in Irvine takes 5000 & compresses it to 10,000 before dumping it to the car. It overheats & the next car has to wait an hour until it cools off again. Also it doesn't pump any faster (still 20 minutes) or eliminate the frozen hose problem

austingreen likes this.
  9. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry my self righteous indignation over the false claims of automakers has been temporarily depleted by the VW scandal.

When 3 automakers all make the same claim, I tend to think it's LESS a case of "False Advertising" and more a case of selective presentation of possibility.

10. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    3600 psi was chosen for cng because it allows for low cost tanks and compressors. Go up and these things get more expensive. For natural gas the natural next step is lng. Lng is used for long haul trucks. lng carries 2.2x more energy per liter than cng.

bwilson4web likes this.
  11. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Even the 3600-psia CNG tanks add $5000-$10000 in the USA due to US regulatory safety requirements. In EU they allow cheaper tanks.

As far as 20-min H2 pump time, the question is: Did Toyota lie? Or is California not installing the same robust re-filling technology that Japan is using ( I am thinking Lurgi is the Japan builder, but we had prior posts).

12. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    File a complaint with the FTC. In 5 minutes I am in and out of the gas station with 500 miles of range. Sorry no sympathy here. If people did their own fact checking they wouldn't be so disappointed.

13. HGS

HGS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Time for Wawa H2 stations in California. They are a convenience store and fast food gas station in the East. They are very popular and almost always busy.

Could get your morning donut and coffee while filling your H2 car. Just need 16 pumps, not 1 or 2 pumps that H2 stations currently have.

I would not like the long wait, but if I could sit in the car with the air and radio on, and do work on my IPad (internet connection) I could live with it. Or, a comfortable chair in a waiting room. No screaming children, thank you.

#13 HGS, Sep 27, 2015
  14. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You are correct. Expansion cools the gas and compression heats them. A diesel works by compressing the gas ~20:1 and that heats it enough the fuel ignites when injected.

Bob Wilson

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  15. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The small convenience store is disappearing replaced with the large convenience store with 16+ gas pumps usually just a block or two away.

16. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    From Wikipedia:
    So, Hydrogen actually heats during expansion (as in from a nozzle into a storage tank) and this is backwards from what we are used to with most gasses. Hydrogen does act like other gasses during expansion but only when at extremely cold temperatures.

This is why H2 filling stations actually pre-cool the H2 in order to enable 3-5 minute vehicle tank filling. Perhaps the H2 filling station that takes 20 minutes isn't pre-chilling the H2 or perhaps earlier cars already used up the pre-chilled H2 and the stations chillers are not scaled up enough to keep up with the station use during the times that you have been visiting.

#16 Jeff N, Sep 27, 2015
  17. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    No. That was a goal, not an achievement reached yet.

Remember, the targets they've set are for early next decade.

Currently, we are still in the early stages of infrastructure setup and technology refinement.

18. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Type A stations can pre-chill to -40, I'm assuming Celsius, and are the ones with a nominal fill time of 5 to7 minutes, but they can take longer, or even shorter.The type B and on so stations have progressively warmed pre-chill temps, and longer fill times. I think the older stations in California are type B.

19. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In thermodynamics, the Joule–Thomson effect (also known as the Joule–Kelvin effect, Kelvin–Joule effect, or Joule–Thomson expansion) describes the temperature change of a gas or liquid when it is forced through a valve or porous plug while kept insulated so that no heat is exchanged with the environment.[1][2][3]This procedure is called a throttling process or Joule–Thomson process.[4] At room temperature, all gases except hydrogen, helium and neon cool upon expansion by the Joule–Thomson process; these three gases experience the same effect but only at lower temperatures.[5][6]

WaWa WaWa OK I'm from South Jersey I get it, but not too many here in Va. We like 'em but H2?

Fancy 7- Eleven (now with gas pumps) for the Ca. crowd

#19 wjtracy, Sep 27, 2015
  20. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    i don't know about the most expensive ones . . . . but here's one showing the cost/guess was missed by a factor of over 10.
    Details on Tesla's First $35,000 Mobile Supercharging Station | Inside EVs
    This presumes the power is already there . . . . which is the same presumed guess when 10k LB fuel cell compressors are being considered.

austingreen likes this.