1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota free repaint program for Blizzard Pearl

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by itengineer, Sep 23, 2019.

?
  1. Yes

22 vote(s)
    59.5%
  2. No

15 vote(s)
    40.5%
  1. itengineer

itengineer Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Pluggo likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    amazing. i don't recall seeing anything here yet. i wonder if prius is involved

3. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  4. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Well that's is interesting. I have a 2012 Prius v (wagon). No letter yet.

Edit - No paint peeling for us either.

#4 farmecologist, Sep 24, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
  5. Bumble

Bumble New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    2014 Prius Blizzard Pearl, well taken care off. It started to have crow feet on the door panel in 2018. I didn't think anything of it so I put clear touch up on it. The paint would crumble when you press on it with your nail. It just sorta fly off. As it grew I try to cover it up with touch up here and there but it just get bigger in appearing in more place.

After doing my research and seeing about the Customer Support program I took it to the dealer and they got the collision estimate guy to look at the paint. The estimate was for 1,500$ to get it all strip down and re paint only the affected panel. They submit the claim to Toyota and it was denied the reason is that the Prius is not part of the Program. The collision estimator guy and the dealer both agree it was a manufacturer defect. I'm now at a lost on what to do next 1,500$ is a lot of money but I cant leave the car as it because rust will set in.

Attached Files:

Bay Stater, m.wynn and Mendel Leisk like this.
  6. Bumble

Bumble New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The car is only 5 1/2 Year old. I called customer support and they pretty much said they cant do anything about since the Prius is not affected...

Attached Files:

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Toyota seems adamant in making themselves a corporate "villain" here.

kc5dlo, Bumble and m.wynn like this.
  8. Bumble

Bumble New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I reached out to the Regional Office 1-10-2019, the one that oversee the dealer. And they said they will look into it and get back to me. I don't have any plan to fork over the over the money for a repaint. For now I'm just going to buff and clear coat any rust part that show up and going to leave the paint as it. I will still wash and wax as I always have. The car shine so nice in the sun after a wax :). Other than the Paint issue. I'm very happy with the car and mechanically it is 10/10, drive and handle like the day I got it. I will update with how Toyota handle the issue.

Attached Files:

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    When we bought in 2010 the pearlescent white was our first choice. Well actually super-white (non-metallic), but that was not available up here. And the pearl white was not in stock, so it was "so what have you got". We just stumbled on our Silver, very happy with it. And the pearl white they wanted $250 extra. I hear that charge has escalated too?

I hope you get something positive out of contacting Toyota directly, that's not good.

10. borgestes

borgestes Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Will be interesting to see if they do anything about this on a Prius. Seems Texas weather may be a little harsh for this paint. It appears to be primer underneath so I am not concerned about rust.

Attached Files:

11. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    No, not in the program as presently announced. NHTSA’s website has the complete Phase 1 dealer letter for Customer Support Program ZKG (PDF), of which the first page is seen in the image @Bumble kindly shared, and no model or year of Prius cars is included in the list of covered vehicles. The letter doesn’t explain why certain models are covered; perhaps only specific paint formulations or production plants are thought to have been affected.
    Even if the repair were covered under program ZKG, keep in mind that, according to the dealer letter, “[T]he repair will be limited to repainting the specific area of the vehicle’s exterior affected by the condition.”

12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This recall is fundamentally different than the excessive oil consumption, for an example. With that recall, oil consumption is tested, and if you exceed the acceptable limit you're in. Well I supposed it could be argued that only certain vehicles are involved in that recall.

Anyway, it seems absurd for someone to roll into a dealership with grossly peeling Blizzard Pearl paint, and have them look down their list, say "sorry, you're not listed here".

Bay Stater likes this.
  13. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    When it comes to reporting complaints, prius owners are proven wusses so Toyota won’t care because prius owners will just get another one or upgrade. The lack for submitting / filing of formal complaints on the forum proves it.

Bumble likes this.
  14. borgestes

borgestes Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Since I found out about this information when I was trying to locate a touch up solution I would certainly let them fix the patches that are peeling. Would look better than me doing it.

This 070 perl prius looks pretty bad but the 2010 black prius I had experienced the same flaking. He told me he sanded it with 400 grit and sprayed it with off the shelf paint. that's what I was going to do but now I will leave it a little longer and see what happens.

15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If they don't do a half-@ss blending job it will add insult to injury. What a debacle. :mad:

16. borgestes

borgestes Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    again, will have to look better than if I did it with a rattle can. With it peeling all over everywhere on mine, and still peeling I don't know how they will spot fix it. First it has to be added to the list to even be considered right now, so its already a double uphill battle. Would be nice if everyone on the site with a 070 color code would post their pictures if affected so we can see the numbers.

#17 borgestes, Jan 12, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    Bay Stater and Mendel Leisk like this.
  17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe a poll can be added to this thread. I'll report this posting, ask about it.

borgestes likes this.
  18. Bumble

Bumble New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agreed. The only reason why our car is not on the Support program is because we don't fight it. Down here in Tampa, Florida 90% of Prius driver are female and the elderly. (Nothing against female or the elderly its just Florida's demographic).So Toyota take advantage of us. I also think its because we rationalize it as a cosmetic issue so it doesn't really affect us. But that is 100% false, it hurt resale value, it hurt value, it take time to touch up and its heart wrenching to look at.

I remember there were various concern with white Prius paint peeling on here and the consensus was that the op mistreat the car or it was an environmental factor. We're on that Toyota Kool-aid.

I'm not an expert on paint but I believe the primer aren't good at protecting the metal. I'm certain in a couple of year the primer will break down from the UV/Enviroment and water will get through.

19. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Poll added.