1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

toyota gaurd and clear coat?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Bob Allen, Mar 4, 2004.

1. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hi: What do any of you know about Toyotagaurd and clear coat? How much does it cost and is it worth it? Is it more for those of you who live where they salt the highways?
    Bob

2. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Toyoguard is crap - you can buy the ToyoGuard sealant at the parts desk for about $25 and apply it yourself if you want, but all it really is is a rust protecant for under the wheelwells. Clearcoat means they're going to wax it for you. And the interior "protectant" is the same thing that can be accomplished by using a can of Scotchguard on your interior. About 2 hours and $30 later, you will have saved yourself around $570.

The one thing the dealer pushes about Toyoguard is the fact that is provides a 3 year warranty on the paint - well, guess what? The paint is warrantied for 3 years anyway.

It's a dealer-profit item, clear and simple. Take the $600 you might spend on it and go get your car Dynamatted or something :)

3. miniracer

miniracer New Member

Another alternative to "Toyoguard" is 3M Underseal. It is a spray-on rubberized undercoating that is bulletproof. I am looking at an old can with a black cap. It may come in other colors. I remember is as about $6-8 /can about 10 yrs ago. I found it at an auto paint store. I used it in the wheelwells and trunk of a 65 Austin Cooper S that I restored and vintage race. I highly recommend it. 3M part# 51135-08883. Google "3M Underseal" for more info. It's about $13/can now.

As to the paint finish: Does anyone remember "Polyglycoat"?? That was the dealer's "special paint treatment" of the late 70s. Dealer charged $250 and it was nothing more than a decent wax. It soon was sold in stores right alongside Turtlewax and the like at aTurtlewax priceand was no better or worse. SAVE YOUR MONEY !! End of sermon.