1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota gets 100,000 orders for the new Prius in the first month

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by arescec, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It is small. Last time I looked into it, the Toyota hybrid minivans(Estima and Alphard) where about midway between the Mazda5 and a typical American minivan in terms of length and wheel base. This one looks closer to a Mazda5 from those videos.

I think people are doing the tracking of their gen4s.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    idk, it's pretty exiting right now. maybe i'd be even more excited if i was getting one soon, but hearing about new owners experiences has sure helped beat the winter doldrums.

krmcg likes this.
  3. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

Sienta is current success... but otherwise, everything is hybrid now in Japan. They have many models, even Corolla Hybrid which is based on Yaris platform, made into sedan and wagon, called Corolla and uses 1.5l hybrid powertrain. Lots of various minivans that are not offered anywhere else. Luxury version of Rav4 has been hybrid for 2nd year now, etc, etc.

Back in 2010, Prius sold 30k per month in Japan since it was only hybrid. So 180k in pre-orders were 6x of its sales. In 2015, Prius sold around 12k in Japan per month, so 100k is around 8.5x of its monthly sales.

There was an article in Japanese newspaper 3 months ago how Toyota is hiring unprecedented level of temporary workforce to satisfy new Prius launch and how Japanese production will reach levels from long time ago due to Prius (over 3m overall). These kind of sales mean that even with maximum overtime right now, I think everyone will receive their vehicles within 6 month timeframe from now in Japan.

4. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

maybe plugin hybrid? Otherwise, Toyota should have produced around 1.3m hybrids in 2015 and is probably going to do 1.5m or 1.6m in 2016 due to Prius, Rav4 hybrid as well as chinese Corolla Hybrid that is one of the designated cars in some of the China's biggest cities...so maybe even more than that. Only downside is that generally car sales in Japan are in crapper due to rise of sales tax.

Toyota recently said that their goal for hybrids is more than 1.5m by 2020... They look to substantially go over that this year, but overall 15-20% hybrids out of their total sales is pretty good number and unless something drastic happens, that wont change substantially for a long time since half of their sales are in low income countries and they generally dont drive high end models or have money to pay extra for hybrid.

bwilson4web likes this.
  5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Good call. The Prius in the USA market has been such a target that I often forget there are quality hybrids we never see.

Bob Wilson

6. arescec

arescec Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Auris Touring is quite a nice hybrid. They are $8,000 cheaper here than base prius. No wonder they sell so much better in Europe.
    [​IMG]

stephane, TonyWilkey and bwilson4web like this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow, that's a beautiful wagon!

8. arescec

arescec Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Dont they sell them In the usa?

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nope. prius v, doesn't look anything like that.

10. arescec

arescec Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
  11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Sienta is a great example of excellent packaging. The fact that you can fit 3 rows of seats (with neat folding capabilities) and a hybrid powertrain is no small feat. However, I think this would be too small for the US market. It's powered by the same hybrid system as the Prius c. Imagine carrying 6 people in your Prius c. (there's no way it'll certify for 7 ppl in the US). It's smaller than the Mazda5.

That is a slick estate. Too many North Americans are all over the SUV. It's a win-win. The manufacturers make great profit (when a compact SUV costs the same as a midsize car and a midsize SUV costs the same as an entry-level luxury car) and the consumers get the vehicle they want.

No. We only get the Auris hatchback gasoline rebadged as the Scion iM. It has the Corolla's 1.8 litre engine (2ZR-FE) with a 6MT or optional CVT. Monospec (so what you see in the picture is what comes with the car). Only factory option aside from transmission is navigation.

[​IMG]

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We have the Prius c, Prius v, Prius Liftback, Camry Hybrid, Avalon Hybrid (US only), RAV4 Hybrid, Highlander Hybrid.

13. UsedToLoveCars

UsedToLoveCars Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    That says 16,406 prius units for December 2015.

No, they did not sell 100,000 units the first month. See above. 16k units for first month in Japan - December 2015.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think they've been available there.

15. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I think the Auris is smaller than the Prius v. They are built in Europe, so they don't have an import tax added like the Prius does there. I believe the same is also true for the Yaris hybrid.

arescec likes this.
  16. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Problem with Auris is rear leg room.

17. arescec

arescec Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Maybe Auris, but Auris Touring has a lot of room in all directions. [​IMG]

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    incredible. any idea on real world mpg?

19. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

It is Auris Wagon... err Corolla Wagon... MPG is similar to Prius, slightly less. Auris Hybrid just got called out for best real life mpg in the UK by WHATCAR, and it beat a lot of small diesels that got better mpg on paper actually.

And Auris is what Hyundai Ionique is closest to. Around $8k cheaper than Prius (but with higher base for Prius in Europe).

bisco likes this.
  20. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

people ordered 100,000, Toyota delivered 16.4k. I expect them to deliver around 20k-25k per month in following months, but we will see soon enough.