1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Gold extended warranty?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by SimplySandy, Mar 25, 2015.

1. SimplySandy

SimplySandy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    i picked up a prius III with 87k miles, they offered me the GOLD warranty for 1500 4 years /48k miles should I get this warranty, is it worth it?

2. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Nobody knows for sure but the odds are: NO.

If they weren't making a profit at that price, they wouldn't be selling it.
    That is a profit over and above the normal cost of repairs.

Also it probably doesn't cover "everything" like you might think.

The "experts" say: Put that $1500 in a savings account earmarked for COVERED repairs and see how much you have left after 4 years.
    In most cases, you will still have close to $1500.

p.s. I really wish there was another Toyota dealer close by. I haven't been too impressed with the one in Ocala.

3. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    No. I would not even think about it. Just more profit for the dealer.

4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you ever wondered why they're offering extended warranties on everything from light-bulbs to Big Macs these days?

Easy:
    Greed.

Extended Warranty = BAD.
    It's a bad product, and they're "offering" to finance this bad product.....meaning you'll likely pay even more than the $1500.
    Also.....if it's not a MANUFACTURERS warranty, then it's probably not a warranty at all, but some overpriced "coverage" that will not cover much of anything.

I smell a rat.
    If this is one of those "buy here - pay here" places?

Don't.

Good Luck!

5. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm neither for nor against extended warranties. I have one this time, but I have specific reasons for having it and probably won't get another when I trade because those reasons will no longer apply by then. And it didn't cost near what yours will. Yes, they are a money-maker for the dealer, but so is the car you just bought. The difference is you get something out of the car and the only thing you get out of a warranty is some degree of peace of mind. Of course, something expensive can go wrong (like it did on our Montana van when we didn't have an EW) and those telling you not to get one are not going to pay for repairs, so it's totally up to you. But, the Prius has an excellent track record and setting aside the $1,500 or just having a decent emergency fund (which you should already have) is all you should really need. And much of what is covered by the EW is probably already covered up to 100,000 miles, so that 48,000 miles really isn't. Like someone else said, if you are financing that $1,500, then it will exceed $1,500 by quite a bit. If it's not a Toyota warranty, beware. My take is that if you can afford the $1,500, you can probably afford any repairs that might pop up, unless you are just a totally destructive driver or simply unlucky.

6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It is NOT a Toyota warranty. The opportunity to Toyota's warranty ended at 36000 miles. Save your money and run, not walk away from that offer.

7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The one interesting question would be, does it apply to the hybrid battery? But even so we have had very few Gen3 batts fail so far.

8. SimplySandy

SimplySandy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes it does cover many hybrid parts I spoke to a well known member here who sells them, and he said he would get it, it's 1500 and toyota sells it, it also does cover the battery, towing and rent a car. I think it's really not that bad of a plan.its a Intrest free plan, and I don't mind taking a gamble, it covers quite a lot.at 87k I hope it worth it, it's also transferable

I have used the one in leesberg.

#8 SimplySandy, Mar 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2015
  9. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Well, you certainly got one heck of a price on the car you bought. Concerning the warranty. I would just have to say, it's your decision. I think you will make the right decision whatever you do.

10. SimplySandy

SimplySandy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you, the car is pretty mint, I am happy, just will get it for piece of mind, in the last 100 cars this is the first one I have bought for myself, the EW that is

Okinawa likes this.
  11. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Here's the fine print from the gold warranty http://www.toyotacertified.com/ebrochures/tcuv_gold_vsa.pdf :

Time and Mileage coverage periods are measured from the date the vehicle was first delivered into service as a new vehicle and zero miles. Coverage expires upon reaching the maximum time or mileage of the coverage period selected, whichever occurs first. Deductible applies to each eligible repair visit. See your Agreement for complete terms, conditions, and restrictions.

The warranty isn't for an ADDITIONAL 4 years/48000 miles--it extends the new car warranty TO 4 years/48000 miles. The Gold warranty they sold you expired 39000 miles ago. Try to get a refund and file a complaint with your government's consumer affairs office.

12. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Isn't that a SERVICE agreement, not an extended warranty agreement?

13. SimplySandy

SimplySandy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think so..