1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Greenlights Prius Subbrand

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Sep 16, 2009.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The Acxiom automotive marketing report has an interesting table about the "Garage Mate" or cars likely to be with a Prius:
    Column 1 Column 2
    0 Segment Prius
    1 Van 190
    2 Compact Car 153
    3 Luxury Car 101
    4 Midsize Car 91
    5 SUV 84
    6 Sports Car 76
    7 Full-size Car 74
    8 Pickup 70
    Off hand, this pretty well matches our family:

• 2010 Prius - our 'reference vehicle'
    • 2003 Prius - our 'Compact Car'
    • 1993 Coachman - our 'Van'
    You know, we'd really like to replace the Coachman because it really isn't useful for running around town. In 2006, I sent a letter to Toyota USA asking for an Estima. We got a nice reply but basicly, not at this time.

Now if the Georgetown plant could come up with a minivan with the 2.4L hybrid drive ...

Bob Wilson

2. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    To me Prius ("that which comes before" is at its core a vehicle that looks to the future where fossil fuels will become increasingly rare, and the priority for preserving the planet becomes more important.

Thus, fuel economy and lower emissions are the key. Hybrids are one part of that process as is all the other technology, aerodynamics, etc.

As a consumer the Prius does this in a way that is appealing and affordable to mainstream car buyers. The present prototype solar cars, e.g., don't look like anything that is going to catch on short of apocalypse when nothing else can run. The Prius is fun, practical, and comfortable.

In short, Prius means a car that saves the planet and that people WANT to drive.