1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Ground Loop fix installation

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by sas0611, Mar 1, 2009.

1. sas0611

sas0611 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My dealer has informed me that they have received my ground loop isolator kit and have plenty of time to install it. I asked how long it would take to install the fix and the service writer said 1 hour. I said that's odd, I was told it should take about 2 hours and he said he'd check and get back to me. He told me that he checked with a mechanic who never had done one and he thought 2 hours seemed reasonable. He also asked the mechanic my other question. Does the dash need to be disassembled for the installation. He found out after asking that contrary to what he originally told me (which I already knew was wrong) that it required more than just pulling the radio out.

I was wondering if any of you have had this done to their 08 prius and whether there was any problems. I am most concerned about ending up with rattles in my dash after this is done - especially in light of there being seemingly no tech having ever done this at my dealership. I don't want to be the guinea pig.

Thanks in advance.

2. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had mine done about a month ago. The center console is the only thing that gets disassembled. It should take less than an hour. My dealer told me the radio needs to be removed but they were wrong.

3. CharlesJ

CharlesJ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Its good to know how smart the dealers are:D

4. sas0611

sas0611 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you notice any degradation in the high or low frequencies using the Toyota 'fix'. I remember reading about third party isolation devices that mess with the audio quality. Also, did it do what it was supposed to - remove the hum ?

Thanks !
    Steve

5. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I took mine in, and they didn't believe the TSB i printed frmo here was legit. They ordered the parts, and have yet to hear from them.

6. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. the hum is removed... and compared to the crutchfield one, the bass appears to be a bit beefier... but that may just be my imagination.