1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Hearlings on CNN Video on Internet

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Aegison, Feb 23, 2010.

1. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I think the issue is whether Dr. Gilbert's test methodology is correct; not whether similar bugs occur on other manufacturer's cars. While other manufacturers may need to recall their cars to fix a safety failure, that circumstance does not excuse Toyota for having the same failure.

2. robbyr2

robbyr2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    As I understand it, Dr. Gilbert did this study for the plaintiffs' attorneys, and didn't show Toyota's engineers his findings before giving the results to ABC and Congress.

3. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    :D I'm not sure what is to be agreed with or disagreed with in that article, but please don't mistake me for someone who cares about who's right or wrong. I just want truth through good science, not media muck.

Sure, but the point is that it must be a reasonable inducement of failure. If your user didn't virus protect their computer and it caused your app to fail would that be your fault?

Exactly, IF he's demonstrating a real and reasonable failure scenario.

On a side note, :cheer2: for me I figured out how to multiquote.

- D

4. hitechboy

hitechboy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Like Toyota, I worked on closed system only, so virus was not a factor. But I can tell you, any problem provided that it happen when our software was running was our problem. If its an OS error, we would worked with the OS supplier to resolve it. IF they won't co-operate, we worked arround it. Even if it an user error, its still our problem. One example, one user kept entering a space character in a numeric field that caused the system gave wrong result. To our point of view, that was our error, we should have validated everything that was entered by user before we process the data. We cannot said that was an user error or a complier error and walked away.

I don't see any difficulty for Toyota to compared the sensors output and give an error when they are not matched up. To me, that is only a few line of code. Failure to do that is Toyota failure.

5. RolfS

RolfS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    1 person likes this.
  6. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I completely understand hitechboy, I work in IT too. But if someone opened up my server and attacked the motherboard with a soldering iron I'd have a hard time blaming HP for the problems it caused.

Thanks RolfS, I watched most of that yesterday, great stuff. It really makes me want to know how Gilbert's test represents a real world scenario.

I just realized what REALLY bugs me about that ABC news piece. What the heck was Brian Ross even doing there? Is he a reporter or not? He acted more like a fanboy. He didn't even have any difficult questions for Dr. Gilbert.

- D

7. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Definitely take it to a dealer and ask why your car doesn't do it. I tried it again after reading your post and at 75mph pressing on the brake while a WOT induced a nose-diving braking experience. It would be hard to believe that my 2005 has this feature and your 2007 doesn't.