1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota hybrid battery-No longer available-Coud be permanent

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ski.dive, Sep 5, 2022.

1. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    right. unavailable and discontinued are not the same word

Isaac Zachary likes this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm pretty sure the Toyota parts site says "no longer available" in those cases, which is a kind of unfortunate choice of words if what they mean is "not available right at the moment".

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if that's the case, what will they do for 10 year warranty?

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They'd probably be forced to buy back the vehicles that they can't fix under warranty.

Prematurely ending support life for out-of-warranty product, before other units are out of warranty, may also have legal repercussions.

6. Isaac Zachary

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The same modules for Gen 2 and 3 Prii are available in other batteries that are still available, such as Avalon hybrid, Gen 4, Camry hybrid, Sienna hybrid, etc. If the car is under warranty Toyota has the modules for the car and most likely still has enough for warranty work.

It's the people who are out of warranty that may not be able to get a hybrid battery for their Toyota, at least not from Toyota.

bisco likes this.
  7. ttou68

ttou68 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Automotive manufacturers are required to supplying parts for any production vehicle model for 10 years after model end date....

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Mendel Leisk and Isaac Zachary like this.
  8. Isaac Zachary

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine will be 10 years old next year. :unsure:

9. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I think this may be a myth; see my previous posting. I’d be glad to be proven wrong, however.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I called a local dealer and they had a G951047031 in stock (for $3140), even though parts.toyota.com at the same time shows "This Product Is No Longer Available" for the same part. So I asked the parts guy if it had been discontinued, and he said that as far as he knew there were just supply chain issues. He said that he had put in orders before when these were out of stock, which came up "back ordered", and eventually those orders were filled. He just had no idea if that would happen in a day or 6 months. Sounds a lot like the situation with the catalytic converters a year or so ago.

Moving Right Along, bisco and Zythryn like this.
  11. tracy ing

tracy ing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

They are not required to provide any parts whatsoever for any amount of time, the only issue is anything covered under a warranty, and even then, there is no rule or law the parts must be available, they could sell a car, provide a warranty, and know full well prior to sale that a part is going to fail, and that part is impossible to procure, ever. In this instance they have to provide as refund on the car, if the part fails in the warranty period and the part is covered under the warranty.

Magnum Moss 1975

If you can prove otherwise, post the federal or state law, I wont hold my breath.

The ONLY exception is emissions equipment under EPA, there is a 2 and 8 year rule for those devices, and only those devices.

12. tracy ing

tracy ing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Discontinued
    Discontinued
    No Longer Available
    No Longer Available
    This Product Is No Longer Available If this product has been replaced, supersession information will appear above

When I hit the largest toyota dealers in the usa, pretty clear, these are done and not coming back, not with this part number.

Two years from now, the 2004 officially becomes eligible for antique tags and no more safety inspection, in Virginia

#32 tracy ing, Sep 10, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2022
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if that is the case, it's no big deal. plenty of aftermarket options, once the supply chain is up and running

14. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not so fast. I've been down this road before with a Honda IMA pack. Just because somebody sells an aftermarket option doesn't mean that it is any good. The reliability of Honda's original sticks was mediocre (compared to the Prius prismatic cell batteries), but the replacement Chinese sticks were somehow even worse. Both the New Prius Battery stick NiMH pack and the NexPower lithium iron phosphate pack have only been around for a short time. I hope both products are reliable and last a long time in normal use, but at this point we cannot rule out the possibility that they might only be good for 4 to 5 years.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    still, for out of warranty cars, there are plenty of options. and don't assume the only longevity testing is actual years in a car. mfg's do plenty of it before mass production.

16. Isaac Zachary

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Like play whack-a-mole?
    The hope-it-dies-in-11-months-not-13 "referbished" battery?
    Trade it for a bicycle?

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there are at least three aftermarket options with new cells, and some refurbished are legit like a few members here sell.
    and grid charge reconditioning is sometimes an option

#37 bisco, Sep 12, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2022
  18. Isaac Zachary

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That could be. All I know is I've never had any luck with anything refurbished or aftermarket. Not saying that batteries can't be good, but I've been down that path of taking the OEM part that lasted 20 years, getting a "high quality" brand new aftermarket part, and a week later it doesn't work, send it back, get another one, week later, send it back, breaks in a week, I sends it back, it breaks again... and so on and so forth until I'm too fed up to even try again.

NewPriusBatteries seems good.

Project Lithium has my attention.

I don't know who does the legit refurbished batteries, although one that takes newer wrecked Toyotas and salvages the cells would have my attention too.

But I'm still tempted to just scrap my Prius and keep packing the Avalon with 8 people when I need to go places with 8 people. Of course it does have other problems besides just needing an HV battery, so I really shouldn't complain.

19. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The GreenTec refurbished with new cells is a good battery. I’ve had one of their batteries in a Camry for about four years. Good as new. Prices have increased of late, currently $2250. Lower priced options with reused cells, but I wouldn’t recommend those. Nationwide, many installation and service locations.

Shop | Greentec Auto

20. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    All AWDe Prii are still using new NiMh batteries so you can buy a new Gen4 NiMh battery from Toyota for many years and the Gen4 modules will fit into your Gen2 or Gen3 batteries. Just don't ask for a new Toyota Gen2 replacement battery.

JeffD

ColoradoCrow and Prius Rising like this.