1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota hybrid battery-No longer available-Coud be permanent

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ski.dive, Sep 5, 2022.

1. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    NiMH is not the optimal solution given that even the nearly twenty year old Prius battery monitoring system can accommodate Lithium which has inherent advantages respecting energy capacity and self discharge.

It’s sad that there aren’t more aftermarket Lithium batteries available. Having to wait in line for one like peasantry at a 1970’s Moscow food market to win a chance at one is unappealing.

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    The reason the AWDe Prii still use NiMh is that the NiMh modules handle low temperature operation better than the Lithium modules. Not all applications have the same requirements.

JeffD

Prius Rising and alftoy like this.
  3. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Tell Tesla

4. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That's a good one. Pull the other leg.

"Required" and what car makers DO are two different things.

There are quite a few times I've called a dealer (-cough- GM!) for some part on a 7-8 year old car was told "it's obsolete". Electronic modules are the worst.

Then on the flip side I've gotten OE parts for some 30 year old cars. Go figure- I can't.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Prius Rising likes this.
  5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    By any chance, did that 7-8 year age span cross the boundary (2009?) between the "Old GM" and the "New GM"? Legally, those are separate companies, and numerous legal obligations of the old company were discharged in bankruptcy court.

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius Rising likes this.
  7. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Tesla has a cold temp problem
    Tesla Has A Temperature Problem

Under 50F
    Cold Weather Issues for Electric Vehicles (EVs) in Alaska pdf research

Attached Files:

8. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Does not seem to matter for their sales.

The point you are making is a bit specious. I was talking about aftermarket options for people who want a better option for their aging NiMH when he time comes. Right now there seems to be one option and it is an absurdly difficult one to chose with people being jerked around like dogs on a leash waiting or the next ship to arrive from the ProjectLithium guy.

PRE-ORDER NOW! Get in Line, peasant!

It would be easy enough for a larger battery supplier to drop Lithium into an old refurbished batter shell. They don't and it is likely not because of the cold weather issue. All major EV's use Lithium regardless of market, you cite one car model that does not.

Lithium has a number of advantages over NiMH but few disadvantages, like limited cold response. Most people could live with that and many do.

Prius Rising likes this.
  9. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    He was replying to your Tell Tesla reply to Jeffd's point about low temps vs Nimh. You seem to be in a lather about waiting for Project Lithium, are you waiting for a Project Lithium replacement? No one else is complaining about waiting in line. The world isn't here to do your bidding kiddo. Life isn't always fair.

#49 alftoy, Sep 13, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2022
    Prius Rising and fuzzy1 like this.
  10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No, that particular post was strictly about NiMH vs lithium at low temperatures.

11. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    No need for a battery for me, currently. Many NiMH options when the time comes. I could walk into Greentec and get one today that probably would outlast my car. My local Toyota dealer verified today that they also have the OEM battery in stock.

It’s interesting how many people here simultaneously rave about how great the project lithium battery is and then without catching a breath complain about the insanity of lithium in general because of cold temp issues that no one else seems to care about, as evidenced by the sales of lithium equipped vehicles.

A great business model by PL where he gets people to beg him for a place in line, pay him in advance and then if and when the battery arrives, have to do the install themselves. A great country or what?

Prius Rising likes this.
  12. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What is inside the "new cells" Greentec pack? Did they find a source for new prismatic batteries or do these use cylindrical cells? If they are prismatic, are they from Panasonic (or whatever that division is called now) or are they from some "never heard of them" Chinese supplier?

13. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Did you call them and ask?

14. HopefulGasSipper

HopefulGasSipper Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I know that the parts.toyota.com website will say "no longer available" instead of "out of stock." It is poorly phrased, but I've come across many things with that notation... Including spark plugs, air filters, PCV valves.

To their credit, the website has improved. Cookies now remember my cars, so I don't have to open another file to copy my VIN.