1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Hybrid Concept - What Are You Expecting?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This coming Monday, January 11th, Toyota is set to debut a new dedicated hybrid car to the world. While it is being announced as a concept, talk around the industry suggests that this is a model that Toyota is going to quickly move from concept to production. The first teaser image above looks a lot like the iQ subcompact that is coming soon to the Scion lineup. But our eagle-eyed PriusChatters noted many differences, including a B-pillar and a full-size door. So, what are you expecting? The first member of a new Prius family of cars coming to the US? The Prius Lite? Li-Ion batteries? Extended EV-capabilites? My money is on a 5 door subcompact with many of the stylings you see in the 3rd Generation Prius. But I've been REALLY wrong before. Let's wait and see what Monday brings!

1 person likes this.
  2. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Is it coming to the U.S. ?

3. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I can't wait until Monday. Subcompact with Hybrid-X styling would be awesome.

Would it be named Prius-X?

4. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  5. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'm looking forward to this car. I actually doubt it will be shipped to the US if it is iQ sized, since our market for tiny cars is miniscule. Perhaps Toyota is trying to compete against micro diesels.

I still think micro cars are the obvious platform for PHEV and EV. Ah well, I'll just wait patiently.

6. jstack

jstack New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I'd hope for the yaris hybrid they have talked about. That could be a big winner. I'd love to see it with lithium batteries but I think Toyota has too much invested in NiMH to change to quickly.

7. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you know anything Danny?

I like the way that the prior pic was analyzed in the prior thread. What I'd love to see/hear is that this is a smaller Yaris-sized sedan with the 1.5L + HSD that gets 60 mpg or higher on average.

The teaser says it's a concept so I think that they're running a flag up the pole to see who salutes. Depending on the reception it may or may not come here.

But is this it for the NAIAS? That's it, a concept vehicle? Nothing else for what is arguably the most important auto show on the planet? I'm hoping for an announcement at the same time that behind the curtain hiding silently is the [TA...Daaaaa] new Prius MPV / Sienna hybrid / RAV hybrid / Highlander hybrid...something!

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's always fun to guess and then look back at your responses after the product is revealed. Here are mine:

1. 55-60mpg
    2. lightweight alloys
    3. 1.33 litre engine mated to HSD
    4. innovative seating
    5. 5-dr hatch

9. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Can HSD be downsized enough to compete in the ~ US$ 15k segment ? That would be a show stopper

10. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It's as obvious as anything:
    It's on the order of a scion xB (the box), cross-over-ish like the Avensis, and shaped and styled like a minivan to be marketed to the minivan crowd. Dude, it's totally obvious. :D

If you look really close at the image in post #1, squint your eyes, and turn your head sideways, you can see the reflection of an emblem that says "Prius Family Van" :D

11. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

i hope to find out about its powertrain... hopefully they will not just show some concept shell and thats it :)

12. bighouse

bighouse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Since it's a dedicated Hybrid (whatever that really means) I'm hoping/expecting it to have a Prius badge on it of some sort. I'll be rather disappointed if it's called something that isn't otherwise.

13. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Can anyone else see slight fender similarities?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. bighouse

bighouse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't see much similarity in the fender. I do, however, want those wheels...they're sweet looking from what little I see on them.

15. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What the hell is Toyota Optimal Drive? An advancement on the HSD...or is it the HSD simplified?

16. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

http://www.shields.co.uk/news/view/223/TOYOTA---NEW-OPTIMAL-DRIVE-EXPLAINED

TOYOTA - NEW OPTIMAL DRIVE EXPLAINED

TOYOTA OPTIMAL DRIVE POWERTAINS
    Toyota Optimal Drive is a new concept in powertrain engineering and design that is being applied to all new Toyota models. Toyota Optimal Drive means no compromise on performance, emissions or specification. On new Avensis, it brings new engine technologies and advanced transmissions, with low friction components, lightweight compact design and enhanced combustion efficiency.

New 1.8 and 2.0-litre Valvematic engines – more power for less fuel
    Valvematic is an innovation based on Toyota’s proven dual Variable Valve timing – intelligent (dual VVT-i) technology. In addition to the variable timing of the inlet and outlet valves, Valvematic adds a lift control system that continuously varies the lift of the inlet valves to better control the volume and speed of the intake airflow. This provides a breakthrough in combustion efficiency that ultimately delivers more power for less fuel.

Across the range the new 1.8 and 2.0-litre Valvematic petrol engines achieve a reduction in CO2 emissions and fuel consumption of between 10 and 26 per cent, while at the same time increasing power by between three and 20 per cent, compared to the VVT-i engines used by the previous generation Avensis.

Click link for more of the article: http://www.shields.co.uk/news/view/223/TOYOTA---NEW-OPTIMAL-DRIVE-EXPLAINED

When I first saw that green badge for it almost a year ago I was reading about it a little bit and it seemed all the info i found was all from overseas...

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  17. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    maybe the toyota IQ? or a yaris HSD concept?

18. bighouse

bighouse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Priette would be a nice name...or Priet HSD

19. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  20. bighouse

bighouse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    ummm...maybe it is a Scion, but it's definitely NOT the illustration shown in that article! Look at the pointy front edge of the glass/black area as part of the A pillar....looks nothing like the iQ.