1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Increases Warranty on Replacement Prius Hybrid Battery. Now 3 years, Unlimited miles

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ericbecky, Jan 6, 2016.

1. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So I am still good on this and can go back to sleep (At the moment I am unaware of a single USA case on Prius Chat where a new (Toyota OEM) replacement battery has gone bad)?

We did have a Israel case years ago on Prius Chat, that's why I said USA above, but I digress.

2. PriusDrift

PriusDrift Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hi Ericbecky--

Thank you for your advice and kind offer to speak with me. To clarify, I am not sure whether the issue is the HV battery itself or just the HV battery temperature sensor. My previous comments were just a guess of the issue considering the similar symptoms that others diagnosed on this forum.

All I am certain about at the moment is that I have the red triangle of death, check engine light, my OBD used with several apps consistently shows DTC P0A9C, and when this these error codes flashed on my dash a few days ago the car slowed down and the HV fan starting blowing very hard. However, I am still able to drive 90mph on the freeway (just a test, of course) and around town without losing much charge or having any deviation in battery temp change btwn sensors 1-3, and the fan hasn't turned on again since. The error codes remain though, so I am trying to diagnose my issue before my 3 battery warranty expires in case it is a dying battery like others on PC believe considering my car symptoms.

Hi Texas Hybrid Batteries--

Thank you for your response and for taking time to analyze my car issues. I love your company - I bought my instrument cluster from Texas Hybrid and I have nothing but positive praise for you guys.

I ran the test that you recommended and attached the screenshots of my results (the pic with more temp divergence and that gets into the 70's is from after me getting off the freeway, where as the more consistent readings were from the street test). From my analysis, it seems like temp sensors 1-3 are pretty consistent, but I could be wrong. I couldn't get the HV fan to turn and move past "0," even after driving it for about 45 mins on the freeway and another 30 mins on the streets.Thank you for providing those pics - I will definitely take a look at the sensors before I get any professional diagnostic done, especially to see if the sensor opposite the ECU got bumped lose.

I set up an app't with the Toyota that installed the battery to have them take a closer look, as they now seem willing to honor the 3 yr warranty after I spoke with them at length, but it is pretty far from where I live now so I will check the sensor issue (without touching the battery so I don't void the warranty) before sending it out. It was a bit concerning though that the service rep was automatically doing arm chair diagnostics, stating that the issue is probably a dirty HV fan filter tripping the sensor and turning my HV fan on with the DTC, but without even knowing my battery sensor temp readings or individual battery cell charge levels. What the service rep is guessing may very well be the issue, but I also worry that they are trying to proactively avoid installing a new battery under the warranty and the issue will creep up again after the warranty expires. Have you ever heard of a dirty HV fan filter causing this error code?

3. PriusDrift

PriusDrift Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Here are those pics from my tests:

Attached Files:

4. Texas Hybrid Batteries

Texas Hybrid Batteries Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So based on the pictures that you posted TB1 is definitely out of range. The two ends typically run very close in temperature and yours are 2-5 degrees apart in those pictures and I'm sure that when the code set it was even greater. If you have Techstream you can look at the snapshot data to see exactly what was going on when the code set.

I had to go back and look at P0A9C again and I realized that it's not specific to one sensor. It sets if any of the 3 deviate from the group.

I also lied about the arrangement. TB1 is at the end opposite the ECU, not TB3 like I posted before. I'm sure when you pull it apart you'll see the problem.

With all of that said if Toyota is willing to give you another battery for free I'd let them do it. It's a shame that they would probably recycle a perfectly good battery.

I didn't realize that you were already a customer of ours. Thank you for your business. Good luck getting this sorted out and keep us posted.

Matt

Robert Holt likes this.
  5. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would let them follow the warranty process.

I don't know as they will bother with any more detailed Diagnostic tree assessment since they already have a battery-related code.

Please keep us informed of the outcome.

Still would like to see a pic of the battery part/serial number. Just to confirm it was a new pack, and not one of the (very rare) Toyota refurbs.

6. PriusDrift

PriusDrift Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I didn't realize that 2-5 degrees was a large difference, so thanks for pointing that out.

I unfortunately do not have Techstream and hadn't heard of it until now because I am pretty new to working on my car. My bit of research on the topic shows it would be useful to get more in-depth information about the codes and to program. I will definitely look more into getting a SAE J2534 w/a few day subscription to the Toyota Techstream software, at least for future use.

Thanks for clarifying about the sensors too!

I am going to brave trying to take apart my car rn to get at the serial number on the HV battery that Ericbecky would like to see. It will also give me a chance to check out whether the HV fan needs a cleaning and whether there are corroded wires like others encountered in another PC thread. I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks again.

SFO likes this.
  7. PriusDrift

PriusDrift Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Here's that HV battery serial number, ericbecky. Thanks again for checking.

Attached Files:

8. PriusDrift

PriusDrift Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Update: After having my car for 4 days, Toyota has finally "diagnosed" my issue. Toyota couldn't figure out why my Prius was giving back the aforementioned error code (rep failed to specify why it was so hard to figure out and then mentioned my issue could be rat urine???), so they resorted to clearing my codes and "reinitiating" the computer (don't know what that means). For that they are charging me $330 and are trying to send me off with my car. I can't help but to feel like they just wasted my time and money, as they didn't specify that anyone checked the sensors or battery and the service rep consistently avoided my calls for 2 days until having a different rep leave a message for pickup just before closing today (hence why I haven't been able to get more details yet). Any recommendations or insight into whether any of this is normal for a diagnostic?

#88 PriusDrift, Jan 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  9. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Pretty straight forward workup for P0A9C : https://ww2-secure.justanswer.com/uploads/skyvisions/2008-06-21_094242_05_prius3.pdf

Request a copy of the paperwork before calling Corp (or paying). Did they find any other DTCs besides the above P0A9C?

Basically tell them no, no, no... and then talk to corporate at Contact Us | Contact Toyota :whistle:

They installed a new battery with a 3 yr warranty, and the problem is within the case. Unless they can prove otherwise.

Don't back down, don't take any excuses. Not to say a rat couldn't have knocked the sensor loose, but no way on the urine.

How much is the 'diagnostic' fee (maybe $120 ?), and did you "authorize" them to do any repair after such? :cautious:

It should fall under warranty, and the mandatory (pay to play) diagnostic fee should be waved, as the repair is covered.

A bunch of time wasting, money grubbing thugs :mad:

PriusDrift likes this.
  10. PriusDrift

PriusDrift Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hi SFO,

Thank you for your detailed suggestions of how to move forward. I will make sure to get a copy of the diagnostics before paying, and I will be asking in depth what exactly was done to justify a $330 charge for a issue that they cannot prove does not fall under the warranty. The diagnostic fee they are asking me to pay is $330 for 2 hrs of "diagnostics".

#90 PriusDrift, Jan 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  11. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just call/email corp now, and ask what is or isn't covered under a three (3) year HV battery replacement warranty. Not sure if they will tell you anything without giving up the vehicle and dealer info, but ask nicely and see what happens.

Maybe DTC P0A9C isn't covered, even though the sensors are inside the battery case.

My guess is they tore into the case and reattached the sensor and are now trying to charge you for labor by calling it a diagnostic fee. If corp says DTC POA9C should be covered, then great. If corp say no go, then pay and hope the work is warrantied.

12. PriusDrift

PriusDrift Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Ok, great I will call corporate and ask this question.

Raytheeagle likes this.