1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Invite; Come Drive the Mirai

Discussion in 'Fuel Cell Vehicles' started by hill, Jul 8, 2015.

1. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for the report. Let us know if you end up with a mirai. IMHO you don't really want one before march anyway, that first batch gets to find the problems.

2. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Why anybody would want to be subjected to this (hazardous) mess at such an early stage is anybody's guess (aside from zero emissions).

3. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The reality is that everyone is just taking guesses at how the infrastructure will work or not work, and we really don't know how it will all work, until the first year goes by....

MarkPressey likes this.
  4. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    That is a two edge sword. The infrastructure will work if you put enough money into it. What is pretty much assured is government money will run out long before a national self-sustaining commercially viable infrastructure is up and running.

5. MarkPressey

MarkPressey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Well, hopefully the ones running in Japan already will be considered the first batch :)

6. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I do consider them the first batch, but I don't expect you'll hear complaints even if they complain loudly. Most Japanese don't hit us blogs, and most of that batch has gone to corporation and the government, where the drivers are encouraged to say how great the cars are.

Only 700 cars this year, so next year as they work out the kinks of building them.

7. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just a reminder :), we are talking about Toyota, I highly doubt there will be any kinks to iron out. As an owner of many Toyota's and Lexus's over the years I have never had any issues with any of my cars, regardless of being first year models. (y)(y)

dbcassidy likes this.
  8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Right... no kinks - nothing that nearly a half century of hydrogen car promises "in just 10 more year's" can't fix. Go Toyota! Suddenly I'm not feeling so simplistic -
    ;)

vinnie97 and austingreen like this.
  9. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Wow...such doubt. Your Gen II has not had 50 years to work out the kinks, how's that working out for you? ;)

10. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    And they aren't immune to first year problems. The first year gen2 Rav2 was one of the worse drops in reliability ratings at CR.

11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    um, yes ... they have been working on hybrids for that long. I think you'll find the issue is - that most folks who hear about hydroden are simply history ignorant. Even hybrids took a good long time to hit main stream;

[​IMG]
    Victor had his early model Buick hybrid dialed in, probably before you were born. Google can be your friend. Check it out. Hybrids big push came about because they are relatively AFORDABLE. So when high gas prices hit - it was perfect timing. So - one can just keep thinking whatever they want to think about hydrogen cars - regardless of whether it flies in the face of reality. But doubt? Nope. Don't confuse doubt with understanding where we've come from.

#91 hill, Aug 14, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  12. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    My 2001 Prius and 2004 Prius were both first year cars and they were both subject to various recalls and service campaigns as was the 3rd gen Prius. That's just a fact of life. In spite of that, I'm glad I didn't wait a year or two before buying them. The same is true of my 2011 Volt.

13. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That first yea cars issues is genuine Governent Motors legacy - they built it, sold it, had it crap out, and pissed off many customers.
    no wonder Toyota is a world leader, thanks to GM

DBCassidy

14. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The infrastructure is so minuscule, I have no interest in waiting around for it to be built out over the rest of the country when I can get a zero emissions vehicle today and charge it at home (just waiting for the more affordable longer range models to come).

15. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Right, my 2009 suffered from a malady that I couldn't even get the local dealership to resolve through a known service campaign. I just traded in the vehicle at year 3 due to losing the will to fight them over it.

16. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Per Tesla Supercharger Network - Page 103 - My Nissan Leaf Forum, there are 32 Supercharger stations in CA now, consisting of 257 charging stalls.

17. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    image.jpg I just finished my Mirai test drive this afternoon.

The car was very nice and definitely had a Lexus vibe to it. Acceleration was fine but then I'm a slow poke driver. The noise from the fuel cell system was similar to a pleasant fan whirl when it was present at all.

The staff was pleasant and friendly but there was a very typical amount of uncertainty or inconsistency about details as is often the case on new-fangled test drives. One person said H2 was ~$7 a kg (I think) while another more accurately said $12-13 per kg at the moment. But of course, Toyota is giving away a fueling credit for now.

One thing I hadn't noticed until now is the small triangular red light or reflector in the lower middle part of the rear bumper. It reminds me of the 1st gen Volt's backup light.

I continue to have serious doubts about the wisdom of rolling out H2 fuel cell passenger vehicles now but at least the early adopters will have a nice ride.

#97 Jeff N, Aug 14, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
    cwerdna and fotomoto like this.
  18. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The red triangle light in the rear bumper is a fog light. The cars we are test driving are not US spec cars, but made for the German market. Ours will not have the fog light.

19. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for sharing, and no I did not know about Victor Wouk. Very interesting. I would like to point out that American car companies may have been playing with Hybrid systems for the past 45 years, but in the 1970's Japanese car companies were just trying to figure out how to build a reliable car. Japanese cars did not take off in sales in the US until the late 1970's and early 1980's. I would be surprised if Toyota was researching Hybrid technology during these early years. Don't forget Honda did not get into the car business until 1963, 10 years before Victor Wouk had the Hybrid system in his car. During the early 1980's Toyota was more focused on creating the best luxury car they could build to complete against the likes of Mercedes Benz and Baverian Motor Works. So I don't think Toyota's focus at this time was on Hybrid systems, at least not till the mid to late 1980's. This is certainly not 50 years of development for Toyota as you suggest. Honda went a whole different direction with the Hybrid system that has proved to have taken a back seat to Toyota's system.

20. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It isn't like Toyota was working in the dark and didn't know about the Wouk hybrid or Brigg&Strattons or the hybrids from the beginning of the automobile era.

hill likes this.