1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Toyota is planning long-range battery-powered electric cars for 2020 as its hydrogen fuel cells cars

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Ashlem, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota is planning long-range battery-powered electric cars for 2020 as its hydrogen fuel cells cars are failing | Electrek

So, what are your thoughts? I wish they didn't bash plug-in cars so much, and lose a lot of goodwill in some customers as a result. And they clearly have enough resources to develop both the Mirai, and a plug-in electric car.

But I'm happy that they're also making a battery electric vehicle.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I've never had a problem with on-board generation of hydrogen feeding a fuel cell of which several feedstocks come to mind:
    • ammonia
    • methanol (actually pretty much any alcohol)
    • liquid/compressed methane
    Just these high pressure, hydrogen gas car are (and always were) impractical.

Bob Wilson

#2 bwilson4web, Nov 7, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
    hill, RCO and Trollbait like this.
  3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Click bait? Toyota is going to do whatever it has to do to meet Ca. ZEV mandates. Sounds like Toyota has been signaling that Li is starting to make sense to them as far as cost. FCV future looks bright but for cars? I do not know about that.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think there are 6 people in the entire world that are offended by the lexus ads, and their humorous teasing of plug ins. and they're all here on p/c. won't affect toyota whatsoever.
    however, i did read that there is a lot of bashing of toyota over on the tesla boards, by former prius owners.
    kinda like reformed smokers i guess.:p

john1701a and RCO like this.
  5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    . . . and a few who still hang around here too. <GRINS>

Funny thing is I have a new daily driver and I enjoy the heck out of it. But last week, I cranked up the 2010 Prius and it isn't half bad either. It sits lower and does fine scooting across an intersection. But then runs out of 'OMPH' (i.e., acceleration.)

Thinking back to all the newbie posts I remember since October 2005, so many of them appeared to describe a 'Prius Prime' type architecture hybrid which has only delayed folks (including me at one time) understanding the Prius-way.

The Prius Prime would have been a welcome addition in 2001 instead of 15 years later or the owner-rolled versions in 2006. Oh well, better late than never. Had Toyota done a plug-in back then, who knows what sort of Franken-plug (opps, CCS) would have shown up.

Bob Wilson

RCO likes this.
  6. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bisco, please join some Prius-pt users in those offended...

bisco likes this.
  7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'll add gasoline and diesel, which can also be made renewablely, to that list.

Issue of humor aside, stressing the competitions' negatives, as opposed to your positives, isn't the best way to inspire confidence in your product.

bwilson4web and RCO like this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    generally speaking, i agree. those ads were kinda funny, but i doubt they swayed any plug in buyers.

there are plenty of bad commercials, but a good car will sell itself. advertising for awareness purposes is all that's needed. i think we all know that toyota needs a new ad agency, but there are plenty of bad auto commercials to go around. witness the long running gm 'real people not actors' ads.

9. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    We will see what the future of Toyota brings......but the gen4 is headed in the wrong direction

iPhone ?

10. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius HB is a best seller (so far, and its powertrain will be shared within the group), with a Fuel Efficiency above all others without a plug. Why would it be in the wrong direction?

11. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Better than the ICE-only and that remains about 95% of the new car market. Never let perfect become the enemy of good enough.

Bob Wilson

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    details sean!:cool:

13. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It's Looks....it's looks are in the wrong direction.

Long range EV would be great but it's also gotta have good styling if it's gonna be successful

iPhone ?

bisco likes this.
  14. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    You should read the insideev boards. People are still pissed about the old lexus ads. The new ones just smack of desperation.

I've never read a tesla driver bash a toyota car, but sure they bash the dinosaur company trying to have hydrogen kill the battery. I mean most think that cash the government is paying toyota and honda and hyundai to make a hand full of fuel cell cars is a waste, and a excuse not to support plug-ins.

I hope a toyota plug-in support will stop all the anti plug-in whining by toyota execs.

Ashlem, Trollbait, Zythryn and 2 others like this.
  15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, it's about time. I know it's not favourable in the home market due to charging issues (and Toyota is a Japanese company so they have to think of their home market as well as the U.S. market). But the U.S. market is a large market and between the US and China, both are pushing for ZEVs. The fact they can bring one to market in 3 years (they said they'll form a team in early 2017) and have a vehicle ready for 2020 means they either have a ridiculous deadline (like the Gen 1 did for Dec 1997) or they've already been secretly working on it in some capacity (probably due to PHEV and FCEV development) and are now simply figuring out how to increase density, reduce weight and reduce cost.

If they want that "wow" factor that the Prius brought in 1997, they'd best reveal a Prius EV with competitive numbers (and not 186 miles in JC-08 testing which translates to about 100 miles in EPA testing). I'm sure the efficiency part can help them reduce the need for a larger battery compared to a competitor.

Alternatively, one of the many news outlets covering this said Toyota might be working on an SUV, so it's probably "3rd time's a charm" RAV4 EV.

16. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Toyota built a factory in Mississippi but switched to just Corollas and dropped the Prius builds in their largest, external market. Perhaps now they might consider building the in the USA. They already build hybrid Camrys in Kentucky.

Bob Wilson

Tideland Prius likes this.
  17. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, it was just the Tesla CEO, no one else bashed the Toyota Prius. :ROFLMAO:
    Elon Musk Says Prius Not a True Hybrid: Calls it 2% Electric

iplug likes this.
  18. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Last night I took another looks at: http://plugshare.com

There are so many vast areas without even L1 chargers. Deployment of high-speed, DC chargers will probably follow an "S" curve and right now, the left edge is so tiny. Even L2 AC chargers are mostly at dealers who are not really signing up for DC chargers. Even they often limit access after hours and some reports, to other manufacturer EVs.

Bob Wilson

19. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Mirai is an 100% electrically driven driven car. The hydrogen fuel tanks are also weighty items. Removing them and the fuel cell will leave plenty of space for a battery. It even already has a CHAdeMO plug.:D

As you stated, there are charging issues in Japan, and a BEV SUV will likely do better than a car in the US and China.

I disagree with Musk on this. The Prius is a hybrid electric car that is 100% powered by gasoline.:cool:

Tideland Prius likes this.
  20. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    California may be a good model to foreshadow national trends. Here we are likely already in the rapidly accelerating/take-off end of the left side of the S-curve regarding DC-charging stations. Also, the large majority of L2 AC stations here are at businesses followed by public/government properties.