1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota leads companies in election-objector donations

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by richard schumacher, Jun 27, 2021.

1. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for posting about this... Seems Toyota is eager to distinguish itself as the leading anti-reality automaker for the purposes of corruption and greed and many of us are paying close attention and will spend the rest of our climate change nightmare hellfire and inferno refugee lives holding them accountable for their leadership when it comes to dishonesty and corruption among automakers!

Many of us will celebrate their eagerness to destroy themselves the more their corruption gets exposed. Or as a person on Twitter so clearly said:

"

3. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    You guys are getting upset about nothing. When I worked for AT&T I was astounded at the contributions of the PACs. Then I found out that they gave donations to ALL the candidates, even those running against each other. The idea is to provide an opening gambit for their lobbyists when they call on the elected officials.

If you look at the article the money given to the candidates by Toyota, you'll see that it was just over $1000 per person. What would that buy you in today's market??? Not much when you consider the the 'dark money' can be hugely more.

Valiant V and Mendel Leisk like this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe they don’t have a clue about who these politicians are, their stand on issues. Or care.

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Nothing .... yet 3X as much $$$ as other political flunkies.

6. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    It is possible Toyota didn’t know that group were the same ones supporting/pushing ‘the big lie’. I suspect, but haven’t researched that the representatives in that group are also the ones that most strongly support businesses having the same rights as people.

Of course, it is also possible the did know.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    why do you think they moved to texas?

musk is no better

8. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    It would be interesting to see where Tesla political donations go.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  10. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    So
    It won't show much. So far, we know that Toyota donated about the cost of one Lexus spread over a few dozen candidates. You should not be surprised if it turns out that the Toyota PAC donating small amounts to just about every politician who is running a campaign. That's what AT&T was doing in the mid 70s (or was it the 80s??) .

11. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Whataya mean..."was"?
    Divestiture happened in 84, but as of 2006, they're back to being pretty much a 52 state thing....

Can't (won't) speak for their politics because (a) I'm not qualified and (2) I like eating.....and sleeping indoors, BUT let's just say that there's a good chance that Big Bell might be hedging their bets just like all of the other Fortune 50 companies that want to REMAIN Fortune 50 companies.

...JUST like Toyota.

Non private companies have a LEGAL, fiduciary responsibility to their shareholders.
    NOT legally kicking over money to the folks who regulate them could probably be considered to be cooperate malpractice.

Think about WHAT KIND OF vehicles that the crossed-bunghole company makes most of their money ON?

(Hint: Probably NOT Priuses! ;) )

12. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow... the level of dismissiveness of this issue is obscene. The opinions above are complete outliers and in denial of the rage that is making Toyota trend at #1 on Twitter right now: https://twitter.com/search?q=Toyota&src=trend_click&vertical=trends

What part of Toyota being the #1 donor to insurrection supporting politicians by far don't you understand? Toyota is the no. 1 donor to 2020 election objectors — by far

To be clear after the Jan 6 attempted violent overthrow of our government to make Trump president forever has led to more than 600 people being arrested and charged and the next two election cycles are going to be driven by indictments and convictions of Trump and his leadership and corporate America, unlike Toyota, is very well aware that campaign donations to GOP insurrectionists was going to be a bad look and suspended the money flow: List of Companies Pausing Political Campaign Donations After Capitol Riot - Bloomberg

And while most of these corporations are still aligned with GOP in general, they have enough of a moral compass to realize this look makes them vulnerable in the court of public opinion. But not Toyota, they have no shame, no sense of the value of at least having to pretend they have a moral compass and now they're getting slammed on social media right now and all you apologists and false equivalency distractors can do nothing to lighten the huge PR hits Toyota is taking for being supporters of fossil fuels without limits as well as overthrowing the US government.

Meanwhile the value of Toyota stock has dropped by 2% in the last hour alone... Lol...

Screenshot from 2021-06-28 12-43-53.png

Julinva likes this.
  13. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    meh.
    If Priuses were Toyota's leading product, then Toyota of North America might be a little more worried about a Twitter nontroversy.
    One of Tetsuo Ogawa's leg humpers might release something about it, but I'm guessing it won't change much.

Toyota's lead sellers aren't 4x4 trucks, but they aren't Priuses either.
    It's gonna be Rav4's and Camrys....SOME of whom might have actually voted for some of the insurrectionists. ;)

14. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Lol... A mob attacks the very foundation of our Democracy and kills cops and over 600 people have already been arrested with huge indictments and convictions for the leaders of this mob coming down during the next election cycle and all of corporate america distancing itself from these career criminal in politics and you say that everyone is upset about nothing? Maybe take a look at what happend to Toyota's stock this afternoon and what's going to happen in coming days as popular voices in the media continue to denounce Toyota coruption. This is the begining of the end for Toyota. Look at how many people on Twitter right now are announcing they won't ever buy a Toyota ever again. This isn't a civics lesson in PAC money here. This is sparking way more outrage than you're aware of and its going to have huge implications in the long run for a Toyota leadership that's so tone death they don't even think they have to do damage control yet.

There's few ways you can screw up your corporate image worse than having a hashtag like #ToyotaHatesDemocracy trending on Twitter.

Screenshot from 2021-06-28 14-15-31.png

#14 PriusCamper, Jun 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
  15. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yet another out of touch dismissive comment that's built on a flimsy foundation of false equivalencies... The level of anti Toyota memes on social media right now is something any other more reasonable minded corporation would throw tens of millions of damage control PR money at, but Toyota leadership seems almost as out of touch as you are and has decided to double down on it:

Screenshot from 2021-06-28 14-21-40.png

E4_reB5WYAE-vRP.jpeg

Screenshot from 2021-06-28 14-26-23.png

davecook89t likes this.
  16. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A

After reading the original article as I should have, it appears no other corporate PAC was even close.
    The 2nd place award goes to a defense contractor, and that was about half the amount.

The optics of donating twice the amount of money as a defense contractor is not good.

PriusCamper and davecook89t like this.
  17. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    ... a defense contractor bankrolling overthrow of the US presents its own ironies too ....

Valiant V and Zythryn like this.
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i doubt most car buyers pay attention to this kind of thing. apparently, toyota is making more hay than they are losing

Valiant V likes this.
  19. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They don't.

This is what we in the military call a blue-on-blue thing.

Given the target of this "flap-a-doodle" and the nature of the aggrieved - the name sorta still works.
    The best thing to do when OPFOR is shooting at each other is to sit back, relax, and watch the fun.

PC is still the only place I've heard of this nontroversy.

WHAT I AM hearing out in the real world is that cars are in pretty short supply right now, apparently as short as people's memories and knowledge of US elections.
    I'm betting that Toyota sells every single one that they build this year near MSRP, and that they make record profits.
    I bought gas yesterday and the price is almost $2.70!!!
    SO....we'll get to see how long Primes and wireless Priuses last on the store shelves. :ROFLMAO:

I'm also wondering how Tesla and Space-X are going to do in TX.....;)
    Not so much Space-X....since they are kinda hard to boycott and their stock price is rather hard to influence via twitter.
    Musk is a pretty mercurial dude, and I remember when "the usual suspects" got their BVDs in a bunch when met with P45.
    I'm pretty sure Elon's next woke-pology will be his first one, and it's not like they're gonna shake him down for money.
    It's not like the unions are going to bother him either....and TX is a free-state where labor laws are concerned.

I really no not think that the woke-scolds are gonna stop buying Priuses and start buying Fords and GMs..........and if they do?
    I bought my last Toyota 32 years ago, and I've NEVER registered in a political party.

Win win!
    :)

#19 ETC(SS), Jun 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
  20. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    #20 hill, Jun 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2021