1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota leads companies in election-objector donations

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by richard schumacher, Jun 27, 2021.

1. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Let's do a hypocrisy test.

Priuscamper, You should be actively doing something about this issue. If not, you are being a hypocrite.

1) Specifically you should be donating to the opposition of every one of those legislators who supported the insurgency.

2) You should at the very least be working on a recall campaign against at least one of them, but even better, you should be active in several states.

3) You should checking the public (and private) statements of every business that you normally use, and stop using any that HAVE NOT issued a statement condemning those legislators. After all, silence is the same as supporting, right?

I bet that no one on this board is doing any of that. They are just bitchin and complaining.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's what boards are for :)

dbstoo likes this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  4. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    That comic goes well with "Patience my butt. I'm gonna kill something!"

5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, I do all those things... I've been very, very, very politically engaged all my life and making a difference with this one and only life I have has always been one of my highest priorities. And yes, it's all about hard work on the details that you specifically list, as well as details you haven't mentioned.

alam99 likes this.
  6. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  7. alam99

alam99 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    PriusCamper likes this.
  8. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, non sequitur might be a bit strong: the title of the thread refers to people who raised electoral-count objections in Congress, and ETC has mentioned three other times where electoral-count objections were raised in Congress. Those did all happen, so it's probably a safe bet that ETC and others won't get tired of bringing them up.

It might be more important to think about whether any obvious differences come to mind to "distinguish" the cases, as lawyer-types might say. Hmmm....

#29 ChapmanF, Jun 30, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
  10. Priusjames

Priusjames Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting thread. If there are people who don't understand the sudden anger/backlash, here's my take, the thing that pissed me off to the point I killed the order for a new traction battery* that was literally in the shopping cart for Tustin Toyota when I read about Toyota's flip-flop:
    ------
    Immediately afterward, Toyota said they were going to stop funding the specific US lawmakers who voted to overturn the elections on January 6th.

Then they cut the funding as they press-released.

Then they started funding them again (we found out this week). In defense of themselves, Toyota released a word-for-word verbatim mealy-mouth statement put out by the US Chamber of Commerce back in March reminding me of "good people on both sides."
    -------
    For, against, whatever...Toyota did not take a stand and then stand there. They made hay of a violent insurrection and attempt by specific lawmakers to overthrow the 2020 election, made a big deal w press release about stopping financially supporting those specific people, then quietly started funding them before 6 months passed.

That's why *I* am pissed at Toyota. For being hypocrites after promising something important just long enough to ride to good press they could get out of it. Context. They didn't decide not to open/close a factory, or to change production numbers or something to actually affect their bottom line...they made a political calculation that people like some in this thread would not care and/or understand what they did.

They were correct, mostly.
    -------
    *Re traction battery: True story. I had the battery in my cart and was checking shipping promotion (free up to $200) vs. pickup at Tustin Toyota when this news about Toyota hit.

This suubject matters to me, so I stopped the purchase. I am not in desperate need of a battery, but the recent lowering of price to $1699 again this week I decided to be proactive. My knee-jerk reaction was to go ahead and place an order with newpriusbatteries.com, because I had been choosing between these 2 options and the price was only $99 difference. I tweeted about this whole thing w screen shots, twitter handle is also @Priusjames.

Before I placed the order with newpriusbatteries, I realized they could be 100% behind Toyota's decision to do this and that would set the playing field back to where it was before I read about Toyota's about-face. That would be fine and legal and everything, of course, but I would be an a** for not checking and factoring that into my decision. I wrote to them via their website to ask.

They never bothered to reply, as far as I've been able to tell. I was kind and told them either answer was fine, I just wanted to know if they support Toyota's position or not so I could make an informed decision. Having received no reply, the battery is back in my cart on Tustin Toyota's page where it'll sit and stew for a while while I decide what to do next.

The Twitter thread is sitting there, waiting for the post about my response from newpriusbatteries and my eventual decision.

alam99 likes this.
  11. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When your argument is weak on substance, you have to go strong on ad-hominem.

Valiant V likes this.
  12. Valiant V

Valiant V Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Wouldn't we need to know how much Toyota and other corporations gave to everybody else to see if this is actually significant?

Sure, if it were me, I wouldn't give a cent to any of the Republicans who defend Trump and his many lies. Then again, I'm not a company that needs to keep allies wherever I can find them. If Republicans take back the Senate and/or House in 2022, or (heaven forbid) the White House in 2024 - cutting off campaign donations could bite Toyota on the nice person down the road.

Lest one think I like Democrats - think again. Been a Libertarian since 2000. I like my government small, inexpensive and unobtrusive.

That said, Trump and McConnell did something no other Republican could ever do:

Make me donate to and support Democrats!

13. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Always fascinating how people think what they have to say is more important then the details of the discussion. To answer your question, you could of read the articles that are linked to above. But if you won't click on a link to get informed just know that Toyota has donated more then double to the insurrectionists than anyone else... The next closest is a defense contractor who's only donated half as much as Toyota.

14. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good thing Toyota hybrid battery upgrade; NexPower Energy offers an alternative to a traction battery that's superior in every way, especially when it comes to mountain climbing.

15. Valiant V

Valiant V Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three

And you're missing or ignoring my point that unless we know how much Toyota donated to the rest compared to the 147 in question - then the original post says a lot less than it's made out to. Also mean anything regarding how much Toyota gave compared to others unless we're talking about how much those other companies gave to everybody else

Those ARE the details of the discussion - or should be.

Again - regimes change. For Toyota to appear to "snub" those 147 Republicans - and - should those knuckleheads and their deposed, one-term, soon-to-be-jailed, fake president prevail - Toyota will have alienated themselves from the whole GOP.

I can certainly understand why a corporation that likes to do business in the United States wouldn't want to risk shooting themselves in the foot.

If we're looking for somebody to be PO'ed at - it should be that "My Pillow" guy, or GOYA foods.

16. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We do know how much Toyota donated to the rest compared to the 147 in question... It was made clear in multiple links above that you didn't look into.

17. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  18. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Since you obviously know which links have the complete Toyota campaign donations, please tell us which one so we don't all have to go digging through trash in order to find it. You could have done that in the time that it took to berate others for not reading all the links.

It's really important to be able to see what Toyota contributed to ALL other politicians in order to differentiate between "supporting" a point of view vs covering their bases in case the party in charge changes. Without knowing which one it is, you are making blind assumptions.

It just occurred to me that you folks are mad at Toyota as if they wanted the insurrectionists to succeed. There is no reason to assume that that is true. When you make a campaign contribution, there is no mechanism for putting a note on it to congratulate or condemn the recipient. It's much more likely that the people who got the contributions were on a committee or working on a bill that has to do with automobiles or imports.

19. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    No, it wasn’t. You are missing his question.
    The question was how much does Toyota donate to all other politicians.

In my mind, that isn’t relevant.
    The facts that they said they were going to stop, did so, and then started doing so again shows hypocrisy.
    The fact that they were the biggest donor (double the next) deepens their hypocrisy.

Trollbait likes this.
  20. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I provided links and there's plenty of additional links on the subject if you learn how to do a google search. I think the point you're trying to make is wrong-headed and if you're too lazy to back up your point with facts and then blame me for not doing it for you, there's really not much left to say.

Other than the very act of "donating" to elected official is anti-democracy and equates to bribery and corruption and has gone on for far too long. Democracy is decided by voters, not by rich people who provide so much money that they can invalidate the power of people's votes. Of course based on your line of reasoning you probably don't understand or even value that...