1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota-Leviton Charger Install

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by ppimd, May 1, 2012.

1. ppimd

ppimd Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I just initiated a Leviton/Toyota charger request. They were very polite in dealing with scheduling. Toyota supports this, why all the negativity here? They made a great car, thought through all the volt mistakes, why would they recommend a bad choice with a charger?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think it's the price, but correct me if i'm wrong. i'm sure the charger will be fine. all the best!

3. ppimd

ppimd Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced

Price? I thought about that: Home store charger $799 do it yourself, Leviton $1299 installed, 10 year warranty, backed by the blessing of Toyota. For my PIP advance, why not get the "right" charger which ends up costing $500 more and if anything goes wrong with the in-car charger, covered under warranty. Can do it your self'ers say the same?

4. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It's the cost that I had a problem with. The electrical contractor they were using appeared to be gouging me on the permit fees. The city only wanted $140 for the permit, but they were quoting me a price of $575. Also, the $999 price is for a basic install, which apparently means if you have an existing outlet right near your service panel. They would've had to do a 24 foot run for me, which means the install now becomes a standard install, which jumps the price up $1289. Anything under 20 feet is considered basic.

Leviton did try to work with me on this, but they were stuck in the middle as it were. They did refund my $100 site visit fee without any grief.

I'm getting an EVSE from another source for a better price, and will have my electrician do the install.

5. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Nothing negative to say about them (leviton) from me. They were polite and came out and were nice people.

It was their price which was over the top and I decided to buy my own EVSE and install it myself having a friend who is a licensed electrician run the outlet.

6. ppimd

ppimd Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I contacted my electrician who never did a charger install before, mentioned that there are 16-32 different 220v plugs, needs to check the electric panel, upgrading this and that to get GFI, etc. Although qualified, I'm not confident of his understanding of the requirements.

7. bayarea99

bayarea99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It'a a great charger. I bought it off amazon and did the install myself. Bought it last year, so I recieved the tax rebate. Total cost for install including charger was $650. Really like the solid metal case and upgraded plug contector. On a busy weekend, I end of charging the car maybe 3 times a day.

Attached Files:

8. ppimd

ppimd Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    In Maryland, there is a 20% rebate up to $400 in 2012.

9. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    This are NOT chargers, are EVSE (Electric Vehicle Support Equipment) and most of them come with a GFCI built in, not need for another before their connection to power line.

10. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well yeah Potatoe Patatoe, if it supplies voltage and current to charge a battery, it's a charger.
    However, you are correct, you do NOT put GFCIs in series. Bad things will happen if you do. This is such a simple install that it amazes me what people are paying to have this done to them! If the panel has room, add a 220 breaker and wire directly, or add a socket. about 50 bucks worth of parts and a hour labor!

11. ppimd

ppimd Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Ok, but this is why an electrician who never did this before, isn't going to do mine first. My father and grandfather were electricians, and I know enough to respect the demands of the plug in.

12. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Theres nothing wrong with the charger.

Just Wait until you see their price quote........

Installed to them means hung on the wall. Wait till they hand you the bill for running a new 240 circuit to where you plan on hangin it.

13. ppimd

ppimd Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Why doesn't Toyota look into this? Erica of Toyota, please comment. This seems out of line with Toyota.

14. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Look into what? There is nothing special about the Leviton EVSE. It's just the one Toyota endorsed. They have to align themselves with someone to offer a support product for the car they made. Just like tires or anything else.

Do you expect Yokahama, or an independant tire shop, to install, mount, balance, and rotate tires on your car for free, because they are the tires Toyota endorses? Do you think OEM tires are the only tires "right" for the car. No .
    Well neither is Leviton. And nobody is gonna run a circuit for free, but plenty of folks will rip you off doing it.

That is what anyone should be careful about. DIY is not for everyone, just dont get ripped off letting someone else do it.

15. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

There is nothing for her to look into to be quite honest. Their base unit with installation at the base $999 price is good. Mine would have been $999 since my EVSE is right below my panel. It's the $650 in permitting fees they wanted to charge me for filing with NYC that made me say see-ya'.

Not to mention Erica can't quite get involved and answer every question people have about everything Prius related on Priuschat. She tries, I know this, but she does have other work to do. This I know for fact. Imagine she chimed in o every topic ongoing here about questions/problems etc?

16. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It's really not that complicated. It's the equivalent of wiring up a new dryer or furnace circuit. Some of the EVSE's are hardwired in, and some use a standard heavy appliance socket.

One of the other problems I had with the Leviton install is that they only run a 20A circuit since their unit only pulls 16A. I wanted a 30A capable circuit in case I got an EV-only car. They wanted even more money for that.

17. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think the negativity is based on the issues of maintaining a nationwide network of independent installers, and the shenanigans that many might try.

I ran my own dedicated 120 V circuit for a part cost of $117 (GFCI breaker, outlet, weatherproof cover, 100 feet of Romex). I use the charger that came with the car. The permits another $100.

If I want fast charging, I can replace the breaker and outlet plug, for about $30. I can have my charger (EVSE) upgraded for $270... but for now, I'll wait to see if something cheaper comes along. I tried putting the cable in the trunk each time, and it's too much trouble, so I just keep the EVSE at home.

18. ppimd

ppimd Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Tires are not comparible to the charger. The car's utility is based upon a charger, unique relationship with electric motoring. Gosh, GM not only aligned with 2 charger companies, but got them to give the charger away. Toyota declined to participate because they won't share personal data as to who owns what, so the GM charger company says.

19. wmmmmm

wmmmmm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Their "exclusive price for the Prius Plug-in" was :

$1300 - L2 install with up to 100'
    $80 - kit
    $500 - permitting
    - $100 permit
    - $110 business license
    - $200 drawing
    - $90 travel to apply/get permit

I asked why $300 for the extra 25' of wiring, why the $110 for business license charge and why $200 for a simple drawing and they said they run a professional business. There was nothing more to say so I hung up. Leviton will not refund my $100.

Their installation may be acceptable but I think they jacked up the prices just for Toyota/Leviton.

So now I am thinking of running my own 240 and making the openevse. And I will even get a permit just because I can!

20. bfd

bfd Plug-In Perpetuator

Close to SDSU in the Far Southwest Corner of Cali
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Why did you both need permits? Was that a condition of the electrician or something your city is doing to collect fees? We all know THAT'S going on in California these days, but if you're doing the work yourself…

1 person likes this.