1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Makes More Hybrid Cars as Gasoline Price Rises

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by jkash, Jun 2, 2004.

1. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota Makes More Hybrid Cars as Gasoline Price Rises - Toyota Motor Corp., the world's largest carmaker by market value, boosted production of the Prius gasoline-electric car by a third in April, taking advantage of surging oil prices that boosted demand for fuel- efficient vehicles.

Bloomberg

2. jchu

jchu New Member

With the high demand and long wait lists for the Prius it would seem that surging oil prices were not a prerequisite for Toyota to significantly increase production. :!:

3. Sun__Tzu

Sun__Tzu New Member

Yippee, now maybe wait lists will go from 12 months to a mere 10 months! (yay)

(sigh)

4. bookrats

bookrats New Member

A few notes on things from this article:

Am I mistaken? I thought Toyota's goal was already 130K Prius for production year 2004. (Or was that 2005?)
    Interesting... that's the first time I've seen someone quote the Prius' price from the higher-end model (e.g., package #9) instead of the ~$20K base price.
    Backing up the information that the Prius isn't selling that well in Europe (due, probably, to competition from even more fuel-efficient car models, like the smart car.)

5. victor

victor New Member

Gilching Bavaria Germany, & Drapanos, Crete, G
    There are only 5000 units for the whole of Europe in 2004. The first 2500 sold in 4 months of the year. Current waiting list is 10 months and growing fast. So I would not agree the demand is low in Europe.

The 3 year marketing plan shows a budget of 9 million Euros to promote the Prius in Europe with intended sales target of only 3000 units (so target has been increased sicne the marketing plan was written!).

I have seen TV adverts over the last week. Shame they cant provide the cars quick enough. :x

Smart car :lol: :lol: :lol: What a joke that thing is.

6. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Good -- I hope you're right! I'd like to see the Prius do well everywhere.