1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota may cut back US Prius allocation

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by DeanFL, May 26, 2009.

1. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    FYI,
    Toyota Japan is posting delivery forecast updated regularly.
    2010 Prius delivery notice

The history was...
    • Toyota will deliver your Prius in late September for one ordered later than May 19th(as of May 19th).
    • Toyota will deliver your Prius in late October for one ordered later than May 24th(as of May 24th).
    So, it's now 5 months length wait list in Japan.
    How long is it in the US?

Ken@Japan

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Does that include volumes and profit margins typical of auto companies? Capacity solutions tend to be easier with smaller volumes and larger profit margins.

Though Toyota has already announced a 20% build rate increase.

3. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Class Clown

Silicon Valley, CA --- Land of Fruits & Nuts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well maybe it is time for Toyota to fire-up the U.S. hybrid manufacturing plant. Designed in Japan, assembled in America...

Keith

4. DeanFL

DeanFL 2010 owner - 1st Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    A bit more on this unsettling topic>>>>>
    ----------------------------

May 27, 2009 5:00 AM PDT
    High demand in Japan imperils U.S. Prius

by Automotive News

TOKYO -- Booming Japanese demand for the new-generation Prius could mean fewer U.S. deliveries of the popular hybrid vehicle when it goes on sale next month.
    Toyota Motor Corp. booked 80,000 advance orders for the car in Japan before its Monday, May 18, sales debut. That nearly meets the local sales goal of 100,000 units for the year.
    Incoming President Akio Toyoda said he wants to sell between 300,000 and 400,000 units worldwide by Jan. 1, about half to North America and roughly 17 percent to Europe.
    But Yoshimasa Ishii, managing officer in charge of overseas marketing, said Toyota may have to reconsider planned shipments to North America so it can meet demand at home. Japanese customers placing an order today have to wait about four months for delivery.
    "We have an initial allocation for the United States, according to the original annual plan. But because of the very strong demand from Japan, we may need to review this sales plan and reallocate the production plan," Ishii told Automotive News on the sidelines of the the Prius launch here. The key will be how fast Toyota can boost output at the two Japanese plants making the car. Prius chief engineer Akihiko Otsuka said current capacity stands at more than 40,000 units a month. Toyota aims to lift output higher through overtime shifts, he said.
    Toyota's companywide capacity for all hybrid vehicles is limited by battery availability to around 500,000 vehicles. But that will expand to 800,000 by year end, Otsuka said.
    Toyota wants to sell between 500,000 and 600,000 Priuses globally in the car's first full 12 months on the market, he said. "We have to think about the appropriate ratio of allocating those vehicles," Otsuka said.
    The first Prius shipment left for the United States in late April. They will go on sale as soon as they arrive at dealerships in late May or early June.
    Further eating into Toyota's hybrid production capacity are plans to keep making the current-generation Prius as a fleet vehicle for sale only in Japan. That model will be rechristened the Prius EX and will have a monthly sales target of 2,000.
    (Source: Automotive News)

High demand in Japan imperils U.S. Prius | The Car Tech blog - CNET Reviews

5. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

yeah, except that it costs several hundred millions to setup that plant :).

and besides, with overtime accounted, they will be maxing out their battery production capacity, which is pretty crazy :)

6. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

thats pretty nice for Toyota - usually japanese manufacturers underestimate demand in PR's so they can claim "30% better sales than expected!" month later... this just proves Toyota cant build enough of them... kudos :)

7. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Re: Some recent News....Cutting U.S. Allocation???

Sounds like it might even get to the point of 2004 and 2005 waits if the demands continues to grow with the improvements in the 2010 model. Waits back then varied, but were at least several months generally and as much as 8-12 months, unless you were willing to try and call dealers from across the country.

Those were some fun times! Pretty much living on Priuschat to get as much information as possible and reliving that lucky test drive :rolleyes: I haven't stopped at the local dealership to see what their timeline is to get one in, but I imagine it will be quite some time before one is available to test drive.

8. soboy

soboy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is the reason I bought a 2009 Touring package 5 last week. My local Toyota dealer has been my friend for 25 years. He had 45 2009s to choose from and sold me the Prius (which I love) for $3000 UNDER dealer invoice. I wanted to hold out for a 2010, but he already has 40 deposits, all at over MSRP. He told me it would be at least 2011 before he could give me a deal on the gen 3 and I needed a car now, not in 2 years.