1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota may have mis-calculated here

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by freo-1, Aug 22, 2009.

1. sarahsoo

sarahsoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, we all live and learn. I'm sure if Toyota feel that many people really want the backup camera without the NAV package, they'll offer it at some point soon. After all, there are always minor tweaks with option packages even between major model changes.

Personally, I hung on to my Gen I and waited for the Gen III because I didn't like the Gen II. I do like the Gen III and am planning on getting one soon. As I've never had a backup camera, it's not something that's even crossed my mind as a necessity. Different strokes for different folks...

2. wfolta

wfolta Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    People are entitled to their tastes... At the same time, I'm puzzled that there are people who would prefer a dash layout so much that they'd prefer to live with a gas tank bladder, barely-acceptable steering, road wander at interstate speeds, poor rear passenger headroom, ridiculous loss of traction in winter conditions, a rodent's nest in the rear with easy access, lower mileage, less power, a serpentine belt, and less comfortable seats. (I didn't own a Prius before Gen III, so this is based on my reading, not personal experience.)

My guess is that the "lost sales" were Gen II Prius owners who wouldn't have been buying a new Gen II anyhow -- their current Prius is doing just fine -- but who thought, "Hey, it's an all-new design, so maybe I should at least look at it." Or fad owners who bought the Prius as a statement or symbol as opposed to how it works.

Not that you cannot really dislike the new inside decor: I didn't like the Gen II interior. But were there actually people who actually needed a new Prius who have decided to discontinue owning Prii until Gen IV?

3. LoraJ

LoraJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus

I thought the NAV did say street names???

4. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thank you. I heartily agree on the miscalculation end. Having had both a GenII and, now, a GenIII, I may not be qualified to speak for all, but speaking for myself I find the GenIII a far superior model in terms of handling, mileage, space, comfort and goodies. Of course, I have the Prius V w/AT, so the goodies seem to abound. I would miss the back-up camera, though, if I had a Prius w/o NAV, and I have a hard time believing that move was cost- or weight-justified.

I really didn't like the look (as compared to the GenII) when I first saw it. I was almost put off by all of the buttons. I've become accustomed to it, and I do appreciate that some buttons are closer (but don't even ask me about the placement of the seat heater buttons!). It wasn't enough of a problem, though, for me to walk away from the car.

Thank you for bringing this up. I don't quite understand why the MID was made this way. Perhaps it was a cost/weight/reliability issue. I hope it has some redeeming value, because it certainly is not as nice to view, and it is nearly impossible to tell there are different colors involved in the display.

5. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    For all major highways and significant streets, yes, it does. There've been a few very small streets where the names haven't been called, but I can't even remember the last time that happened.

6. Glider

Glider New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    big miscalculation... Yokohama factory now on 3 shifts - going to 4 shifts (can they do that ?!?!?)

7. SanAntonio Joe

SanAntonio Joe New Member

Model:
    IV
    If the upgrade disc can be used in multiple cars, look for upgrade discs to be available on ebay at a very discounted price!

Joe

8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    It's being worked on (after market), even as we speak
    ;)

I'd be interested to hear his response if you went back to him & asked;

... "If it's killing sales, how do you reconcile that even as most car sales are in the toilet, that the dealers can hardly keep the Gen III in stock ... especially package V. as they're flying off the shelf"

I'm sure Toyota would like to know ... so they can make the Gen III in even shorter supply
    ;)

9. sub3marathonman

sub3marathonman Active Member

I am a Gen II owner. At first I didn't like the new Gen III, so I didn't pay much attention to it. But after looking at them they are an excellent Prius, probably superior to my old Prius in many ways, and I would have loved to get one.

However, I'm not buying one, specifically because of the backup camera issue. Can't get the backup camera in the Prius 2, have to step up to the Prius 3. That's $1000 for nothing that I want (but if others like it that's fine with me). Of course, that's not the end. Because you still can't get the backup camera without the NAV package. Now that's no longer another $1800, it has gone up to another $2400 or so, because the NAV package now has to come with the Safety Connect (don't want or need, I have a cell phone), and I don't need the other connector either. So that is $3400 for the only part of the options that I want, the backup camera. Oh, then don't forget if you live in the Southeast that your local dealer may want you to cough up another $700 for "Toyoguard" which is basically a ripoff (in my opinion) for some goop sound deadener and window etching that isn't needed either. Oh, and did I forget the "DMA" on the other window sticker? That's "Dealer Market Adjustment," another $2000 for the priviledge of buying a Toyota. Oh, and did I forget the "Dealer Cost" which adds another $300 to $500 so the dealer can have his profit increased. If you add it up, that's about 30% markup, over $6600, above the MSRP for the car I would want.

And, if you don't think the backup camera is necessary, I can tell you that after you drive with it you will love it. In the other Prius that has it, I have been saved several times. And really, it only takes one time to make it worth it. There was just a story in the paper about a parent who backed over and killed their child. It is a MAJOR safety issue, but obviously Toyota puts greed over safety.

10. a64pilot

a64pilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sometimes the Grandkids are over, just for that I would like the camera. I can't imagine having to live with what could happen.

11. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i agree... but every year, 100-150 new sets of parents do. 2-3 children per week die this way in the US...

12. freo-1

freo-1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Well, we can agree to disagree (to a point). The Gen II Touring model with leather is pretty comfortable, and it does handle better than the base Gen III. I have spent enough time in my buddy's Gen III #2 to confirm this.

13. cpatch

cpatch New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Nothing against Gen II owners but there's no way I would have even considered a Prius until the Gen III design. I love the interior layout (it was probably the one thing that made me start considering the car), love the changes to the exterior, love the car.

14. patrix

patrix New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    i totally agree with you.

now i hope you feel better about your gen2, 09 touring. 'because i'm definitely enjoying my gen3. i actually don't agree with you, but wants to make you feel better about your buyer's remorse.

15. freo-1

freo-1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

It's pretty obvious you are shooting from the hip. If you have actually driven a Gen II Touring model for any length of time as opposed to a Gen III base, you may not make that choice.

Consumer's Report (CR) gave a MUCH higher recommendation for the Touring model over the base model.

My hunch is that the Gen II Touring will still score out higher than the base Gen III in CR.

So, I have no remorse. Do you???

16. patrix

patrix New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    i obviously have remorse. that's why i go to a prius gen3 forum to convince people how much better a gen2 touring is over their gen3. and replies back with "according to so and so, gen2 is much better than gen3" whenever somebody doesn't agree with me.

17. freo-1

freo-1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Check out the report on the 2009 Touring model, look at it's overall score, and let's see where the overall score for the Gen III is at CR. My guess is that the Gen II Touring will have a overall higher score.

The main reason this thread was started was in regard to a dealer telling me having issues over option packages with the Gen III, such as people wanting the camera option without having to pay for the Nav, which is a valid complaint.

18. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    1. I have no problem with the gas tank bladder. Yeah,you have to futz with it at some stations.
    2. My steering is fine and I prefer it to other cars I have driven recently
    3. My car does not wander at interstate speeds
    4. Rear headroom is fine as long as *I* don't have to sit back there. I am 6'2", my wife is 5'6", my older daughter is just shy of 5'2" and the younger is about 5'5".
    5. What rodent's nest? I have none.
    6. Traction in the winter is not a problem if you have proper tires
    7. Can never have 'too much' mileage :)
    8. It has PLENTY of power. I have not found any road to be a problem.
    9. I have heard of no problems with the serpentine belt
    10. Yeah, the seats could have lumbar support and go a few inches farther back
    Then you don't know what was lost do you ;)
    Probably not and sadly I'm not holding out much hope it will be returned to better ergonomics and functionality when they put out a PHEV. But I can have a LITTLE hope.

1 person likes this.
  19. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Ah. must be an improvement. It does not on the 2004 or 2006.

20. wfolta

wfolta Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you have to futz, you have a problem. And from reading these forums, you may encounter a major problem -- one that could run you out of gas -- at any time.

No accounting for taste. The Gen II is notorious for having a disconnected-from-the-road feeling. Obviously a drive-by-wire system may have this problem, but every in-depth comparison I've read indicates that steering is significantly improved in Gen III.

The fact that a cottage industry sprung up to make reinforcing struts indicates that what you haven't experienced is a common issue.

You are perhaps a bit taller than an average adult male, but you're not a giant, and your 2009 is too small. I would expect that the 2010's additional inch-and-a-half of headroom would make a nice difference, for adults.
    As far as I can tell, there's a vent from the traction battery compartment to the outside in your rear fender. I've read several stories of rodents getting in, and the various methods people used to keep them out. Totally different from other cars, which do not have a vent into the trunk. (And Gen III, I believe, put the vent in the passenger compartment as a result of the many problems.)

Gen II's are well-known for being brought to a complete standstill on uphills if a wheel starts slipping. I've read several threads on it here on PC.
    The Gen III is 10% faster 0-60. Toyota didn't add power to a car which did not need it.
    It's a ridiculous 1800's era technology which is inefficient and is a weak spot in the engine.
    I know what I didn't consider buying: a quirky car.

Listen, my point is that there are a LOT of improvements in the 2010, and most of them have to do with, you know, the actual performance of the car, so to reject this because of a mostly aesthetic issue? It's a free country, and it'll just leave one more Gen III for one of my friends to buy.