1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota may have mis-calculated here

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by freo-1, Aug 22, 2009.

1. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yep. And not the only improvement.

The new Nav system is a real upgrade from the one in my 2007. It may not be perfect, but it isn't really fair to compare it to what was provided in the GenII models.

2. jyoungprius

jyoungprius Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I totally agree. That is exactly why I traded in my '05 Prius with almost 84,000 miles for a new '09 Prius.

3. DaveShepherd

DaveShepherd Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Five years ago I bought a 2005 Prius, pretty well loaded up. Having the nav system at that time was a big deal to me. There were no back-up cameras available at the time except for aftermarket, and I never installed one. I have been able to back up just fine, as has my wife.

After a couple years, the fact that my Toyota nav system could not find the streets of the community in which I worked began to become frustrating for me. The prospect of spending a couple hundred bucks for a new DVD--without a guarantee that my new streets would even be on it--was not acceptable.

Fast forward five years: my beloved 2005 has 80K miles on it, and my college-age daughter's old car is dying. Time for a new car for me and a hand-me-down 2005 Prius for my daughter.

So a couple days ago I bought the Prius III I had ordered a few weeks earlier. JBL-Bluetooth, but no nav. Between ordering the car and accepting delivery, I bought a Garmin 255W for $170--less than 1/10 the cost of the Toyota nav system. For another $100, I get four database updates a year from Garmin.

I love the Gen III, and I am very happy I got it. This time I got it with exactly what I needed: Bluetooth, decent sound, VIP security, and that's about it. I've got only driver's door smart entry, which is appropriate for almost all of my driving. I paid a couple thousand less than I did in the summer of 2004 for the last one.

YMMV, of course, but I am very proud of Toyota for keeping this car reasonably priced and not pushing features at me that I don't really need.