1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Motor Corp today told dealers two new variants of the Prius will be in dealers by end of 2012

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Rybold, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Re: Toyota Motor Corp today told dealers two new variants of the Prius will be in dealers by end of

That prius van thread seems stale now. I gotta say I really really would love to see a small hybrid minivan from Toyota. It's obvious their hybrid tech is the world's best and really if they could come out with even a small minivan or microvan like the Mazda 5 (if it was too large its gas mileage would suck), I'd be on it like a cheap suit. Our family can do fine with 4 or 5 seats but sometimes it is nice to have the extra room, a key reason we've not scrapped our old minivan. Even the kinda-useable third row in the Rav4 that is available would suit us just fine. I have driven a Mazda 5, its size is cool. Prius hybrid small van would be awesome.

2. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Toyota Motor Corp today told dealers two new variants of the Prius will be in dealers by end of

I agree. The Prius Alpha ( which I think is a cool name ) should be the larger one; pics of testing in the other thread. The other one would seem to be a smaller, sportier version like the concept intro'd at the Detroit Auto show this past January.
    • Yaris-sized
    • Under $20K
    • 60-70 mpg
    It would kill all the new offerings in the compact segment, Fiesta, Cruze, Focus, Civic, Insight II all of which are hyping 40+ MPG, WooHoo....ooops.

3. Sacto1549

Sacto1549 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

I would not be surprised that the smaller Prius brand model will be based on this car recently unveiled at the Paris Auto Show:

Toyota Verso S

[​IMG]

Slightly larger than the current Yaris five-door hatchback but with a lot more interior flexibility, the Verso S could get a reduced-size version of Hybrid Synergy Drive system.

2 people like this.
  4. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Carried by yahoo finance now:

Toyota to roll out 2 new cars under Prius name - Yahoo! Finance

5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

That would be a Fit hybrid "killer".

6. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two

No kidding. It even *looks* like a fit. Actually, that car as a PHV would make me rethink my EV iQ decision.

7. joe1347

joe1347 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

Very practical - but would something a little more on the fun side be a better move for boring old Toyota? Such as a small Hybrid coupe? If you want a dorky 4-door car, there's always the Prius - but is it worth targeting a completely different/new market segment?

8. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Not really a problem...everything since "The Ford Probe" has sounded acceptable....

But yeah, I would of used the term Models or Variations...sounds better to me..

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

The Verso S looks like a fun car, minus the moustache. (and a single front wiper?). would be more flexible than a Yaris. The new 1ZR 1.6 litre would be nice but may be a tad large... given the size of that hood. Im guessing a range of engines from 1.0-1.5 litres in that car.