1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toyota Navigation or Garmin?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by priusmatty, Mar 27, 2021.

1. priusmatty

priusmatty Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    Which is better on a 2020: Toyota built-in navigation, or a top-of-the-line Garmin unit, and why? Thank you.

2. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    If you get a single vote for the built-in Toyota Navigation system over anything else, I'll be shocked. I like the convenience of not having to pick up my sluggish old Android phone, wait for it to call up Google Maps and plug in the address, and I like to not having to squint at my phone to see which way the arrow is pointing, and I like not having to use up data to get directions, but if I am in a hurry and want to pick the best route to get somewhere, there is no question that I would trust what is on the phone over what I am getting from the car's outdated map and somewhat inaccurate traffic information system. I would assume any information from a recent Garmin product is at least as accurate as anything you would get from a phone's system, which itself is vastly superior to what Toyota provides.

3. priusmatty

priusmatty Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    Ok thanks! I already ordered the Garmin that does live traffic too, but I wanted to make sure.

kc5dlo, Pulse07 and davecook89t like this.
  4. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Built-in navigation is gonna be costly if you plan on keeping the maps updated. Why not just use your cellphone with Google Maps instead of shelling out money for another piece of gear that has duplicated functionality?

privilege, davecook89t and Pulse07 like this.
  5. priusmatty

priusmatty Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    Can I use Sirius XM and Google maps at the same time on the Toyota screen?

Pulse07 likes this.
  6. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I have used half a dozen Garmin products, the most recent being a Nuvi model back 2012. Even with the "live traffic" option, the Garmin was not as reliable in it's updates as Google maps on the cell phone. It updated traffic information about as fast as the nav system in my wife's 2010 Camry.

I have been using the large screen in my Prius Prime for routine navigation the last year and a half. I'm always frustrated that I can't search by address while driving. I still have my cell phone to take care of that when I need it.

Dan

7. buckshizzo

buckshizzo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Yeah I get frustrated too when I cant search by address while driving. I wish Toyota put Apple CarPlay in the Prius Prime, so that way I can just use my phone.

8. Pulse07

Pulse07 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I dont think the 4th gen have a built in dedicated Sirius XM receiver like the gen 3 has, how are you currently using Sirius XM?
    If its through the phone bluetooth, Yes you can use Sirius and Google Maps at the same time.

priusmatty likes this.
  9. priusmatty

priusmatty Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    Using it through phone.

10. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Garmin. Hands down. I do use my built in map for checking what street or road is coming up. (Assuming that I'm not going through a big blank area on the built in map because it's too expensive to update.) Every Garmin I've had is more legible than the phone apps, but I'll use the phone for short tips. Long trips call for bringing out something easier to read while driving so out comes the Garmin.

Mine does, but I've never used it. It depends on the trim level you have.

priusmatty and davecook89t like this.
  11. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Hope you didn't pay extra for the "traffic" feature.

Last time I checked, that only worked in maybe two dozen (or less) of the biggest metro areas in the country and everywhere else it was worthless.

The GPS apps on phones do a better job of most things......but I like the convenience of a built-in for short trips and an actual Garmin for longer ones, mainly because my "co-pilot" can be tinkering with it as the car moves down the road.

12. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Yes. Two entirely different apps......that don't interact with each other.
    Well......each might take over the whole screen depending on what you are doing with them.

13. jteran5

jteran5 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Oem/Built-in navigation is nice to have just for the convenience but gets outdated very quickly. Sluggish maps, constant needs for updating, etc. My gf has the built in navigation on her 2016 rav4 and it's laughable really. Inputting addresses is a pain, recalculating routes are unbearable, maps outdated.

Im sure a Garmin would be loads better. It has one job : being a GPS. unlike, your stock unit that has to do a hundred different things. To be honest, since phones nowadays have Maps and Waze, I haven't used a standalone GPS in 8 years. I live in the city and would have to unplug it and store it after each use and set I up again when I need it. But now, I love the ease of just using your phone and opening up an app to go where you need to.

That being said, I installed an android headunit that kinda gave me the both of best worlds. Is it the best and coolest radio? Probably not compared to Pioneer, Kenwood, Alpine, but those have tons of features that I probably won't use. There are three things mainly I want my headunit to do: GPS, radio, and Bluetooth calling (the Bluetooth, is maybe like 10% important as I don't take/make many phone calls). And my headunit checks all three.

A lot of stock headunits have Android Auto/Apple Carplay which I think is the next best thing. I haven't used it personally but having a nicer interface of using different apps, especially maps, makes the radio feel more modern.

Heres my headunit and since it's android, I can install apps straight frlm the playstore and even use Lyft Driver straight from it. Passengers can clearly see where and which way I'm taking. They can't complain I'm going a different way as I'm following the exact directions given. Here's a quick glance at it.

20210316_181032.jpeg 20210316_180947.jpeg 20210209_183657.jpeg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

jzchen, kc5dlo and priusmatty like this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Don’t really have a dog in this race (our 2010 doesn’t even have a nav display), but we have a semi-ancient Garmin constantly plugged in, on a suction holder on the drivers side small corner window, mainly just to show where we’re at, upcoming cross streets, but if trip instructions are needed, then it’s usually Google maps on an iPhone, mounted on a center-vent-clipped iOtti holder.

Anyone got opinions for a good current Garmin?

15. MIkeDr

MIkeDr Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I’m a big fan of Google Maps through CarPlay. You can even download maps for offline access (where cell coverage is spotty). I’ve found their route selection and twice traffic to be the best.

Pulse07 likes this.
  16. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Not sure what that means.
    They are all "good".
    And most come with lifetime map updates.
    $100 or less, I think.......but I haven't looked lately.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  17. priusmatty

priusmatty Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    What is that Fan Control about?

18. jteran5

jteran5 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    A fan for the headunit. I can set it to always be running or for it to automatically turn on if the unit is getting too warm

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

19. priusmatty

priusmatty Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    Oh cool!

20. privilege

privilege Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    the Garmin units always feel about ten years behind Google maps.... and that's without even considering the map data being months or years out of date.

I ran through 6-8 Garmin units, and Tom Tom, etc when I was comparing apps to dedicated units, and was amazed at how poorly executed the stand alone were.