Toyota Navigation or Garmin?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by priusmatty, Mar 27, 2021.

1. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    ... and that map download can be performed over a wifi internet connection before traveling there, and stored as an Offline Map. And Google Maps allows multiple offline maps, so one can pre-load maps for an entire cross-country journey, storage space permitting.

MIkeDr likes this.
  2. tomguild

tomguild smugmobile owner

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I just replaced an '09 Prius with a new '21 LE model. Previously I'd used a Garmin, and found that if I kept the maps updated, the unit worked well. I don't know about your Garmin, but my 2017 model has a feature to use a Garmin app on your smartphone to bring real time traffic data into the GPS via Bluetooth, similar to what you get with Waze or Google Maps, and it's been helpful. But you have to remember to open the app on your phone so it can talk to the GPS.

Now I'm learning to live with Google Maps using Apple CarPlay, which takes some getting used to. Mounting my old GPS in the new car isn't really a good option. There's no decent surface to put the little suction disk, and the nearest power source is in the center console. Too many wires, and Garmin batteries die in about 5 minutes, so it's gotta be plugged in.